Monday, September 17, 2007

Who Am I?

Blogstalking is back bay-bee!

This week's assignment is: "Who am I?"

Hm. Deep man. Can you dig it?

I contemplated this quite a bit.

Am I a joker?

A smoker?

Possibly a midnight toker?

Nah, I've never played my music in the sun. Actually, I don't play music.

I'm going to have to go with the normal answers--but with a twist.

All of which can be summed up in this picture:

100_4361

The normal answers as to who I am:

I'm a wife. As portrayed by the sexy garter there--no, my thigh is not that fat. Elastic loses it's elasticity in direct sunlight and over nearly eight years.

I'm a mother. Chunky wore those booties for like a millisecond when he was an infant. The kid's feet are only an inch and a half smaller than mine now--he's FIVE.

And I'm a knitter/crafter/creator. That mirror ball belongs to Soapyknitter now--and now that I think of it, she's one of the people who helped spawn the first blogstalking round. The Michelle to Ladylungdoc's Romy perhaps?

But the twist is that these are all in my car.

What's a better metaphor for change than a car? You're always changing location in a car. The scenery can stay the same or it can differ greatly.

I'm evolving as a wife, that's for damn sure. These husbands would be nicer if they came with manuals to help guide you through the shitty parts of a marriage, but they don't. You have to roll with them.

I'm definitely changing as a mother as El Chunko gets older. I walk a fine line between being the sweet doting mom and the hard ass mom that wants her little monkey to succeed and try his hardest in everything he does.

And then there's the knitting/crafting/creating. Knitting is my thing right now. I don't know if it will always be. But it's what I do right now. I've always got to be doing something that produces a product. Be it a skirt with old business cards sewn on it, an oatmeal sculpture shrine featuring my dead goldfish, a batch of killer brownies, or just a pair of plain jane knit socks. It doesn't matter. I like to make stuff. Useful or not.

Of course the car also symbolizes my nomadic stature of late. I'm 29 and the past 10 years of my life have been spent in a state of temporary. Sure we were in Michigan for six years, and we'll be in New Jersey for a couple of years, but in a lifetime, that's nothin'.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got to go get my lovin' on the run.

Labels:

24 Comments:

Blogger Magatha said...

Keep on a rocking me baby.

I lived my entire married life, up to 11 years ago in the State of Temporary. Turns out it all adds up to My Life. I've become an amalgamation of all the states I've lived in. You've probably noticed this happening to you already.

Shitty parts of marriage. There's some brains in that statement. Ah! All the times I had the opportunity to get divorced and I just stuck it out! Damn. ;-)

9:21 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

is it getting hot in here, or is that your lovin on the run! hee hee! your random meanderings are making me wanna go and kiss the kiddos, and maybe even the Hub too!! ;D!

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Rhi said...

Y'know, that is a bloody creative way to be doin' the theme answering...and insightful too. Cheers, from someone who doesn't really keep anything in her car.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'd hate to think what my car says about me... (Remember the Mom My Ride video? That's almost accurate.)

10:45 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

You said: "I walk a fine line between being the sweet doting mom and the hard ass mom..."

I so know what you mean. More often than not as she gets older I find myself being the hard ass mom, and I don't know whether it is out of necessity or exasperation.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Thanks for offering some insight into who Bezzie is! I always enjoy your posts on the knittyboard; good to learn more! Great post!

Moving around that much is hard; I think we're finally staying put after much flailing about. At least you get to see lots of different yarn shops!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I always knew you to be a Pompatus of love. ;)

7:32 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Good post, Hansel.

-T.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

The need to make things...I'm right there.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

You forgot "I'm a blogger" - I imagine that's a big part of you too, right?

I was going to say something about your peaches, but you know, that's really none of my business.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'll be thinking of you as I merrily sing that song all day long!

I'm with Elizabeth, I'd hate to think what my car's contents say about me!

9:33 AM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

i really love your peaches, can i shake your tree?

wow, that is deep. i think i liked it better when we were just supposed to flash our boobies and stuff. i believe i will watch from the sidelines b/c if i were forced to really think about who i am, i might have nervous breakdown.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Necia said...

I'm amazed that you could answer such a complex question in a relatively short blog post, and yet it's still very profound. I would need bandwith and more bandwith just to get through one piece of Necia. Kudos to you for KNOWING who you are, and accepting and embracing the changes you've been and will continue to go through. If I had to use a 1 word answer, I'll say I'm a Chameleon. Now, as for rides, mine looks terrible, and I've barely had it for 4 months. Thats sad!

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post! As for walking the fine line bewteen "Doting Mom" and "Hard Ass Mom"....well kids just really need to know that they are loved because they are them. Your job as a parent is to make sure that they have a happy childhood to look back on. (I hope your father and I succeeded) On the husband and marriage thing after almost 30 years I am still learning!!! (I must be a slow learner or they keep changing the textbook) Love, Mom

12:21 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Oh hell, sometimes it would be nicer if husbands came with manuals to get through the good parts of marriage...

2:50 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Very clever! My car says: Will someone please buy me from her? The lazy sh*t won't even wash me! There's chains on my mirror to soon be joined by an awesome Mirror Ball! It arrived just fine. You have mad packing skillz!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yup, no manual on husbands and they don't give you a receipt so you can't return him either!

6:43 PM  
Anonymous olpp said...

I was thinking about you today because I read the phrase "above the tree line" in a book and remembered your yarn. What's the word???

9:16 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

I like the way you got going with your post - I was trying to find a photo that would sum me up, and although I am a photographer at heart, I couldn't do it!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

What a great post.

Marriage.....or rather husbands are a lot of damn work LOL Worth the work in the long run.

I think we all have a desire to see our children do their best and we all walk that fine line between doting and hard ass. Finding a balance is key.

I love your crafty ways. Your such an inspiration and you make me wanna be crafty!!!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Sue, aka seiding said...

See, now, the problem with being the 21st commenter is that all the good Steve Miller references are taken. You didn't meet any detectives down in Texas who knew just exactly what the facts is, did you?

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love, love, love you capelet.

You be what you is Bez!

:)

Kay

8:03 AM  
Anonymous lisa said...

bezzie...awesome! I love your sense of humour and honesty. You are a very good writer!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

That was great. For a second there I thought the bootees and garter thing were one as some undies hanging in your mirror. I'm going to need to think of something clever for my blogstalking. ;p

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home