Thursday, September 13, 2007

Wippidy Doo Dah Wippidy Day

Happy New Year to any Jewish or Ethiopian people reading this blog!

Today's my Friday on account of my pseudo-Jewish son not being able to attend school today or tomorrow.

Since the new year is all about new beginnings--how about a WIP for ya?

100_4302

I'm making progress on the Anthromadeinchina Shruglet. Yes, it's supposed to be that open in the front.

Such a refreshing change knitting with size 10 needles!

And speaking of beginnings--I've also signed up for folia. It's like a Ravelry for gardening.

The difference?

Well first off they have statements that they won't use your email for anything. I don't think the Rav has that--do they? What's to stop them from data mining who has mainly acrylic yarn in their stash and selling those email addresses to Lion Brand? Of course I only say this because I received a catalogue in the mail from LB yesterday that I don't remember signing up for. I know it didn't come from Rav datamining. My "stash" on the Rav is a picture of everything in a box. Ha ha!

ETA: I had to dig for it, but apparently the topic of a "Terms of Service" has been broached on the Rav. Hopefully they'll have something in place soon.

Anyroad, it's kind of sad because I'm way more excited about this than I was Ravelry! Maybe because there's more of an uncontrolled element in gardening? I mean I can knit a sweater and if it I knit it wrong, it's easily correctable. Whereas when I grow a plant, I'm basically battling nature to get the plant to maturity.

Maybe it's more of a challenge to me than knitting?

I also feel like a database and notes on my plants (which I was keeping anyway) will serve me better than a list of my yarns. Maybe because after a plant dies, that's it. There's nothing to look back on, unlike a pair of socks knit out of XYZ Yarn.

If you're into gardening and organizing--go check it out!

Also a quick note--balls are going in the mail tomorrow!

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous Miss T said...

Thanks for the link to Folia! Looks quite interesting, and if anybody has garden questions, it's me!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Amby said...

I'm not worried about Ravelry selling my e-mail address...it doesn't seem like something they'd do and I doubt they have time to anyway!

I checked out your shop, congrats on your selling success!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks SO much for the Folia link!

The one thing I really don't get about Ravelry (and find totally unnecessary) is the whole idea of cataloging stash. Maybe it's because I don't really have much of a stash to speak of, or that I find excessive stash repugnant. ;) I'd rather have a shoebox full of seeds than a giant mountain of yarn!

7:53 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Happy New Year back at you and your Psudo Jewish Family. My home town was over 50% Jewish, so I feel like - ah - 50% Jewish. ;-)

8:03 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That's a very ta-ta revealing shruglette you are knitting- I like it! We're psudo-celebrating here too. That gardeining site looks very cool.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Looking cute!

Lion Brand also buys names from magazines. Ever had a subscription to any knitting mag?

Ever ordered by mail/internet from a big place like Patternworks or WEBS? I think they sell names of customers and those names eventually get bought by other big retailers.

9:24 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

If I could actually grow things on purpose, that might be worth checking out! As it is, I'm shocked that one lone orchid has managed to survive my black thumb. I think it is, too.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

What a great website! (ahahhah, where do you kids find these things?) Gardening IS far more challenging than knitting for the very reasons you pointed out. Also it is a physical activity that provides actual aerobic and strength training exercise if you get a plot that is big enough. Your shruglet is looking good.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your shrug is looking good. As for gardening vs knitting.....If you make a mistake in knitting you can always say that you designed it that way. You can't say that about gardening....Uh..Yeah, I killed the plant on purpose. The same can be said about quilting. Love, Mom
PS: No I am not going to tell you how many times I have used that line in my quilting!!!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Too funny, because I totally adore my garden, and plants, and I checked out Folia and wasn't wanting to do it, but I do Ravelry.

I love that people are all different.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I've got a black thumb, so no gardening for me.

Yay for balls! I've got the perfect spot lined up for it on my desk.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Kelly said...

Haha! The love of Folia is spreading, I love it! It's great to be a part of a website from the ground up, eh? (excuse the pun)

12:51 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Folia, sounds great. I could use the lessons! Woo Hoo! Your Balls are in the mail! Great break up line for single gals, no? ;)

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's got balls in the mail!

I get LB catalogs too, and have no clue why.

Next year I am going to work on a garden plot. I want to become more self sufficient. Maybe folia will help me eventually.

Did I mention, I hate to garden?

Kay

2:22 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

That Anthromadeinchina Shruglet thingy is looking good! I just wished I'd stop getting credit card applications..don't mind the magazine crap, but them damn CC's can go you know where!!!

My car is patiently awaiting the arrival of it's knitting ball! :)

4:01 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

The Ravelry vs Folia battle begins! Okay, maybe not, but I guess it's all dependant on what you like and how you like to do it....

4:27 PM  
Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

I joined Folia too - thank you!

Nice shruggy - green is gooood.

Happy New Year! <---- honorary Jew

9:18 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Well, I'm not sure that I agree with your assertion that gardening is more challenging than knitting. To me knitting is quite a mysterious process ... could be because I'm not so strong in my math skills.

As for gardening, I think it's a cinch - put a seed in the ground, give it a little water to start, wait (that's the hard part), and pick a fruit or vegetable. Easy peasy! Here in the northeast, we don't even have to water all that often.

I should check out the site, though, because I should be keeping notes. I always think I'll remember what I put where and how well it did, but I don't ;).

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home