Monday, October 08, 2007

BEZZIE, BFD & Sweet Dreams

No one really guessed more than 2 out of my six pictures of the “about me” meme. Zany and Zitty were the only ones that were guessed spot on by anyone.

Just to rationalize my choice of “zitty” for Mags and how that defines who I am—I only break out during a full moon if you catch my drift. In essence you could say my zittiness equates to my femaleness. And being a female does define a lot of “who I am.”

So I just stuck your names in a pot, pulled one out and the winner is: Zuma.

Too damn funny, she tags me and wins a prize with my answer.

Don't y'all go getting any ideas and start tagging me for every meme now! Zuma-email me your address at rkbezzie @ gmail . com and I’ll get your yarn cutter out in the mail.

Here’s the answers I had in mind:

B: Bizarre
E: Eccentric
Z: Zitty
Z: Zany
I: Inventive (that curtain is made from an old skirt)
E: Ex-Alaskan

I took a break this weekend from making more balls.

My ball supply is pretty much limited by the scraps I have on hand. Therefore, I have to knit more to create new colors of balls.

But that wasn't a problem this weekend.

I finished a baby dress for a coworker who is expecting a little girl right around Chunky’s birthday. I’m hoping she joins me and Jackie Kennedy as 11/27 moms.

It’s not a PFD by any stretch though—it’s a BFD!

100_4538

The stats:

Pattern: My own, inspired by a BFD dress that Jennifer knit a while back.

Yarn: Sinfonia 100% mercerized cotton in “Jacaranda.”

Needles: US 6 for the body; US 7 for the arm and neck hole finishing

Notes: It’s a pattern I made up myself and it’s a simple jumper/sundress. It’s not really too thrilling. Those who have knit Turtlegirl’s Red Dwarf will recognize the lace pattern at the edges. I cast on for this right after my Der Frawds—I already had that lace repeat memorized.

Honestly, I’m not sure this dress will fit the kid. I’m no good at judging baby sizes when creating my own patterns. And I think I made the arm holes a little too tight. What can I say? It’s been nearly six years since Chunky was truly a chunky little infant.

I’m also making this chica one of my trademark mini-mite hats, just so the kid will have something to wear straight out of the womb.

I also finished the hat I was knitting for Dr. Mad Scientist.

He’s never really worn a winter hat.

This year that’s changing for a couple of different reasons.

He had his head professionally buzzed back in August so he wouldn’t have to worry about going in for a haircut for a few months longer than he normally would had he just gotten in cut like normal.

I thought it was a great idea and did the same thing to Chunky’s hair. If you’ve been reading my ramblings, you’ll know that I took up cutting Chunky’s hair on my own about a year ago to save money and because we left our beloved haircut girl back in Michigan —we could never replace her!

I had never cut Dr. Mad Scientist’s hair because it’s so fine (and frankly getting a little thin up top!) and I didn’t have the huevos to do it.

Chunky’s hair is much thicker and hides my haircutting mistakes easier that what thin Dr. Mad Scientist hair would.

But after I buzzed Chunky’s thick mop of hair, I gained the confidence to do Dr. Mad Scientist’s.

This weekend I buzzed Dr. Mad Scientist’s dome with decent results. As a result, we’ll be keeping up the buzzing into the winter months.

The other reason aside from lack of hair he’ll need a hat is of course the transportation.

He used to only have to worry about getting from house to car to work.

Now he’ll be sitting on a train platform in the winter waiting for his train, he’ll be in the subway (which although it’s underground, is still icy cold like a pee-smelling tomb—in the summer he says it’s hot like a sauna that’s been peed in—let that olfactory imagery sink in), he’ll be walking a few blocks from his subway stop to the hospital and if he’s working late--the three miles home from the train station to home.

I’m calling this one the “Sweet Dreams Cap.”

100_4535

Sweet dreams because it means I’ll get to sleep instead of having to wake up at 1:00 a.m., get Chunky bundled up, start up and possibly brush snow off the car to go and drive to get Dr. Mad Scientist when he’s working late. I also fell asleep knitting it at lunch three or four times--no joke.

The stats:

Pattern: Dude, it’s a hat with a 1x1 rib. If ever there was a thing you did NOT need a pattern for it would be a boring man hat.

Yarn: That Russian angora goat/wool blend yarn I bought a while back in black.

Needles: Size 2 DPNs. Oh yes, love is knitting your man a stockinette cap on teeny size 2 needles.

Notes: I just hope this covers his ears enough. I guess I could always rip out the cast on and re-knit it a bit longer. We’ll see.

Now I officially have nothing on my needles.

But not to worry, I had Chunky trace his hand for a pair of knitted and polar fleece lined mittens and Miss Vera’s (the other one of Chunky’s teachers) Christmas Autumn Walk Scarf shall soon take their place as WIPs.

This leaves me with one other thing I’m allowed to cast on. I’m thinking a pair of Rainbow (link) socks, or maybe some more Christmas items. Dr. Mad Scientist let it slip to Grandpa Mad Scientist that I knit and now he wants a scarf made from “Raiders” colors—black and silver. Gah, more boring man knitting!!!

Labels:

25 Comments:

Blogger cpurl17 said...

Being a sore loser, I give myself points for being right on "zany" and for "industrious"!

Cute baby dress and hat!!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

My daughter is making the ultimate boring man knitting, a cammo colored acrylic scarf. We have knicknamed it the ugly scarf because, well, it is ugly. He likes the colors and the yarn has to be able to live up to his abuse. Refined, he is not. He is a mechanic and his things get dirty and need to be washed often.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe..them Z's are hard to find! Love that dress! So cute! Nice hat too!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm glad you won't be doing the meet the train at 1 a.m. thing. That's just crazy! Nice hat. And adorable little dress. BTW, I have odds and ends of yarn I could gladly ship your way.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Red Dog Knits - Kristi and Otis said...

Ok that dress is SERIOUSLY cute! If I didn't have such a bump and scarred head, I would shave mine too.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

"Size 2 DPNs. Oh yes, love is knitting your man a stockinette cap on teeny size 2 needles." Don't forget to add..."In BLACK yarn"! Why is it men want either boring knits (plain socks,plain hat etc) or insane knitting (fisherman's gansey)?

9:24 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

You've been busy! Email me your address....I have some scraps to contribute to your ball making project. =) The FOs are great. I didn't even try to guess the meme as there was no way I was going to get it, but those were very creative words to use! The pictures were fun to look at too. I'm too scared to buzz hubby's hair but I will do the between cuts shaving of the back of the neck. The things we do for love (and to save a buck)!

10:16 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

That dress is just adorable!! Love the baby dress and hat!!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I love hats on US2s! I must, I've knit a number of them by now...

If it's not long enough for his ears, teeny tiny ear flaps (ones he can fold up so no one will see them if he even cares) should fill the gap. I know, I'm working on mine right now :).

11:50 PM  
Blogger Westozcaat said...

great FO's esp the dress. love it. BTW yep its waltzing matilda- a jumbuck is a sheep!

12:02 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Cute knits!

Dude, if I ever form a band, I'm calling it Pee-Smelling Tomb.

1:48 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Size 2 needles? Yeah that's love. Wow. But I bet it's cozy and warm! Love the little baby dress too. Verra cute!

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

The baby dress came out beautifully! I think it was a full moon when I decided to knit mine. It was done on #2 needles?!
...and I agree with Carol. Why are all the boy knits in such drab colors? I find it hard to get really excited to knit a pair of brown socks.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

LUV the dress. I love baby girls in blue.

8:04 AM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

ahh, yes. the menfolk knits. why must they be so dull?

your knits look very nice. now i want an angora/wool hat.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

Adorable dress!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Ah, Zuma! We are onto your wily ways! Congrats! :-)

Zitty, I had to have it explained to me because I've spent my entire adult life telling myself, "I am NOT my zits!" just so I can leave the house. Fortunately, the zit factory has hit hard time with sweeping layoffs.

OK, the baby dress is the best ever. It is cute without being useless, it is pretty and girly without being too frou frou. Excellent design work!

Yeah, hats are the easiest thing to 'design on the needles". They are just a tube of circular knitting. You can make almost any sock pattern into a hat if you do your math. I am so glad you are off taxi duty. You've got enough to do.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute baby dress!! I am sure that DMS will like his hat and that it will keep his noggin nice and toasty warm. The answer to everyones ?'s on why guy things are so boring....They don't want to appear GAY!!!! Love, Mom

11:35 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

How do you like that Russian yarn anyway?

1:32 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Wooo Hooo! You realize, this just gives me more incentive to tag you with annoying memes. ;) - zuma

2:01 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I love the BFD (although I initially read that as Big F-ing Deal), with the lace and the ribbon, it's just precious.

I like the sweet dreams hat. I'm actually working on a VERY simple roll brim stockinette cap for a friend of mine. I'm using fancy-dancy yarn though, so it's fun. I'm using size 6 needles though! I don't know about love, but size 2 needles scream 'insanity' to me!!!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

We interrupt this comment to run to Etsy and buy fobs...Thanks for waiting! I see your reasoning for the initials (now) but I suck at that kind of thing, seeing you drew names, I'm kicking myself for not at least trying. kick kick...See? O gawd I've been home too long...I am going for cooter rooting next week ;) I love your jumper! It's just adorable and DMS' hat may have been a boring knit, but it's a nice one. Enjoy that extra sleep girl!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ok, signed sealed delivered. Had the cootah rootah today! Sign me up baby.

Ah, and that dress is SO cute! I love it.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

go raiders! ex-oaklander myself. i got my ball today, thank you!! looks awesome and makes my honda civic look a little less like a rental!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Ah, the smell of the NYC subways....I'm almost immune now. :)

The dress is adorable!

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home