Monday, October 29, 2007

A Cpurl By Any Other Name...

...could not be so sweet.

Look what I had in my mail on Saturday from Cpurl!

A divine Della Q small project bag (I devirginized it later that night with a Hat for Alex at the laundromat!)

100_4789

A delish skein of greeny yarn with the suggestion of a Calorimetry...a bandwagon I've jumped on and duh, never thought to make two!

100_4788

Loads of gory Halloween candy and treats for the Chunkmeister. His eyeballs literally popped out when he saw it all.

100_4781

And the most gorgeous yarn I think I have ever laid eyes and fingers on that I cannot get a good picture of:

100_4787

Mirasol Miski Baby Llama yarn! Oh purrrrrr!

And speaking of purrrrr--she even included a catnip cigar that Squeaky the Smoker jumped on while Springs chomped down on a 'nip laden banana.

100_4776

This time it was a good catnip trip. I'm just afraid Squeaky might try to smoke the banana's peel later.

Thanks Christine!!!

Now that the excitement of visits aplenty visits galore has died down, I haven't had much to blog about.

I did have to type my boss's kid's college essay today at work. That was interesting.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, and it's been 11 years since I applied for college, but in today's college application race, aren't you supposed to use the essay to set yourself apart?

I keep hearing about how straight A's and being in a bajillion extracurricular activities doesn't cut it anymore for admissions panels.

If this kid gets into this college, I will be shocked and lose all respect for this college.

He was applying to a big marine biology* school and his essay basically just rambled about how the school was the ideal school for marine biology because it's next to the ocean and how he's wanted to be a marine biologist since he was a little kid.

80% of the essay was just him talking about what the school had to offer.

Now again, call me stupid, but don't you think the people reading your essay will know what the school has to offer?

I hope to Squashola that Chunky is a more creative, free-thinking high school senior when/if he ever applies to college. I also hope to Squashola, for the sake of those poor people reading over those admissions applications that this essay I typed today is NOT the norm. Can you imagine reading thousands of those?

Of course, 11 years ago I wrote about how going to college would foster my independent spirit to open a Canadian Potato Commune. I even married a man who wrote a firmly tongue in cheek graduate school application essay about how he wanted to take over the world and how becoming a PhD was the perfect springboard to do so.

Hey, it worked. I got into all the colleges I applied for and Dr. Mad Scientist scored an interview with MSU despite his mediocre undergraduate grades. They flat out told him if it hadn't been for his essay, they would have never invited him to interview.

And well, the rest is history!

*Names of the majors have been changed to cover my ass.

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Nice haul!

I hope my kids do better too. That's pretty pathetic. And don't you think adding some tongue-in-cheek humor, particularly intelligent humor, helped your case? You can't be stupid to pull that off.

6:22 PM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

i used to work in undergraduate admissions. trust me, most of the essays are just like that and the counselors are bored to tears.

pretty pretty yarn! i need to knit myself a calorimetry one of these days.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I can't even remember my college essay. I only wrote one. Only applied to one school, early admission. I wonder if I kept a copy in any of my old crap...

Anyway, fun gifts! Lucky Bezzie.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

I had to read over 500 college application essays my first year of teaching as the long-term sub for the head of the English Dept. I thought I would die. It was awful.

I talked with some college people, and they only read the first paragraph unless it's good. If the student doesn't nail it in the first paragraph, they're in trouble.

Hey, you could get extra money by offering your services as a college application essay counsellor--someone to help students figure out how to respond to the prompt and write a better essay. :)

7:16 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

I think the essay I wrote to get into the school I just graduated from made some pretty mean allusions to Jane Eyre. But, I wouldn't be surprised if no one read it.

-T.

7:23 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Great package from Cpurl! Chunky's eye-poppin' cracked me up, too. ;)

Are you sure that's a cigar Squeaky's enjoying? 'Cause it...um...looks like he's enjoying something else.

Call me old fashioned, but if you're applying to college, shouldn't you be typing your own goddam essay?

7:53 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Gotta love that cpurl!! She rocks :)

And I love your blog even when there isn't knitting because your stories are the best! First of all, why can't the kid type his own freaking essay??!!!!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

My supervisor never had the cojones to ask me to write his kid's essays, he wrote them himself. He fancies himself a writer (he's way wordy) and would sit up all night writing term papers and essays for them. I used to think "good teaching tools, there."

8:15 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yeah, I always thought the same thing. To get into the pharmacy program years ago, you had to write a short essay on what you felt was a major accomplishment you had achieved. A number of my classmates wrote abou tgettin ga job in the pharmacy as a cashier as the pinnacle of their high school career. How sad. I wrote about winning a judo tournament. At least it was a little different!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Is it telling to say I wrote my college essays on my smith-corona portable typewriter? I was as avante-garde as you can get...I single-spaced right onto the then "writing space" the applications gave you with absolutely no clue what I was going to write until it was typed out, one shot, a la Kurt Vonnegut. Man was I cocky! Where did that me go?

9:59 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

That photo of Chunky is priceless!!

I think if I could re read my college admissions essay, I'd die from boredom but at least I got to write it while I was in Japan. Maybe they thought I was an exchange student.

10:16 PM  
Blogger bigevilgrape said...

THe kid also should have typed it himself, so there ya have it.

11:58 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

I don't think I ever wrote an essay to get into school...probably why I'm in The Banks.
Good thing I no longer have any desire to go to grad school.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

I want those specks!
And a Canadian Potato Commune, ha ha ha, oww!

4:57 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

What a great package! Lovely project bag!

7:05 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Dude, your cat looks like he's REALLY enjoying that banana.

About the college essay - very sad. Kid should be typing his own damned essay. I just saw on the news that schools are contemplating giving report cards to parents. I wonder what grade they'd give your boss.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Second the 'kid type your own friggin' essay' though. Come on, all kids these days can type. WTF?

I don't even recall what I wrote on my essay. How sad is that? I'm sure it wasn't blowing sunshine up a college's ass.

I want to hug that alpaca. Nummy!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

I love the Chunky glasses!

I think my essay was about language and mind control. It was meant to be a grand glorious 17 year old smartass joke. I don't think they thought it was funny, as I was admitted to one college on a 'probationary' basis. They knew I'd be trouble and they assessed me correctly.
Hah.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

Nice loot!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

I think I wrote something about how I always wanted to be an engineer, and how the industry needs more women or some crap. I got in, but eventually changed majors.

It will be interesting to see if that kid gets in with that yawner of an essay.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I do college interviews for my alma mater, and I can tell you it is so boring to hear about AP this and blah dee blah. I want to hear good stories of what these kids do.

Chances are, boss's kid might be applying where boss went, so the essay might not count anyway? Just my cynical side. I think you should put those initials at the bottom that they used to use - the ones indicating the sender and the "typist" - didn't they used to do that?

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool box of loot!! I like the way Chunkie's eyes popped out!! As for the essay...well I never wrote one but if I had you can bet that it would have been a bit off the wall and I would have typed if myself. And they are grading the High Schools....7 AK are flunking and one of them is WHS. I wonder how they would do the grading for parents if they ever? Love, Mom

12:42 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Holy cow, I should have asked you to do my resume! Nice yarn you got there, no wonder Chunky's eyes popped! He's such a cutie pie.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

My sister applied to a big marine biology school (likely the one you're not naming) and didn't get in. I never read her essay though.

She did however go there for her fellowship in adolescent psychiatry so maybe they knew she wasn't really interested in being a marine biologist for the long haul. She's been a Russian language magazine editor, a lawyer and now a doctor though, so maybe she was just showing them.

Meanwhile I play with string, LOL!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Great stuff you have there!!

That is pretty bad about the essay.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home