Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Odds n'Ends

To answer a few questions on the last set of comments:

1. White Chocolate Chip Craisin Oatmeal cookies were our "cookie of the week" (cookie of the week happens every Sunday the temperature isn't 90 deg. to save on having to purchase lunch and after dinner dessert from the store).

2/3 cup butter

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 teasp. Baking soda

1 ½ cup flour

1 ½ cup oatmeal

2 eggs

1 cup white chocolate chips

1 cup crasins

Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and baking soda. Add in flour and oatmeal. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

100_4577

Credit given to the back of the Craisin bag.

Normally I don’t buy these. Dried fruit is expensive (store bought or not—I tried drying my own fruit with a dehydrator—holy crap, never again! I think the electric bill was an inch thick that month!) But Costco had a coupon for $3 off a bag. Their normal price at Costco: $6.84. So I only paid $3.84 for 48 oz. of Craisins. Saved six cents an ounce.

2. As per the mystery box: Hee hee! It’s nothing really all that cool. But I will be blogging about it.

3. And I’ll also be diversifying a bit on the storefront. I scored some inexpensive blades to make more yarn/thread cutters. I’m excited to start those.

Warning: Rough segues ahead!

I’ve slowly been Freecycling Chunky’s old baby stuff. I think the stork is done visiting this household. I’m nearly 30 and unlike many of my peers, I view 30 as kind of the “I’m done” date for having kiddies. Right now I’m enjoying the idea of being a mere 41 when Chunky graduates. I personally don’t want to be 41 and potty training.

Now I’m not saying those who wait to have kids after 30 are wrong and don’t know what they’re doing—I’m just saying it’s not for me. I mean my boss who just had a kid last week will be 60 when his newest kid graduates from high school. No mother effing way do I want to be 60 and trying to help Junior or Juniorita with his/her trigonometry homework!!! It's going to be hard enough when I'm 40!

I’m thankful the universe decided to bestow Chunky upon us, and I always wanted more than one kid, but I just don’t think it’s in the cards.

But back to where I was going with this!

We kept all of his baby junk, the crib, the high chair, the stroller, the Gymini, etc. in that walk-in closet off of our living room. It’s all gone now except for his old car seats.

I just can’t bring myself to throw those away.

They say never to purchase/use a used car seat. Therefore, I don’t feel comfortable Freecycling them even though they haven’t been in a crash or recalled. But I also don’t feel right throwing them away either. They’re big and my inner bunny hugger tree stroker cringes at the thought of them sitting in a landfill!

But even with just the car seats left, I now have a lot of room in that closet and was thinking of maybe turning it into a craft room. I’ve got a big thing in the pipeline I’m not at liberty to discuss right now, but it would be nice to have some space to spread out.

I’m ruing the day we got rid of our old card table dining room table. But I’m keeping an eye out on Freecycle and the street corners on trash day for a nice table I could set up in there. I don’t post “wants” to Freecycle unless it’s for moving boxes. I feel greedy asking for anything I can really live without.

However all of this will have to wait—next weekend is our Massachusetts trip and the weekend after that T. is in town (for the first part of the weekend anyway).

So while 99.9% of you are at Rhinebeck, we’ll be in the woods whoopin’ it up Emily Dickinson style. Honk if you pass me.

I’ll be in the car with “Alaska Girls Kick Ass” bumperstickers in the window leaking $1000 in repairs of Dex-Cool coolant from my intake manifold. I’ll probably flip you off if you honk. Don’t be offended, it’s just a Pavlovian-reflex I’ve picked up driving in New Jersey.

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Oh, so close, and yet so far :). I won't, likely, be in Massachusetts, if I can help it - avoid the place and anyone who has a MA license plate ... at least until mid-winter when the memory of the summer onslaught of Mass-holes has faded to a bearable level ;). Have a blast, though!

Oh, man, those cookies look too yummy! Thanks for posting a picture, and the recipe!

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I would love to see a little Bezzette, it is just so difficult to raise children properly today.

Those cookies rock!!!!

8:23 AM  
Blogger lisa said...

hang on to the car seats-- as soon as you give the last baby thing away, you'll turn up pregnant. because the universe has an evil wicked sense of humor.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Funny, I had both my kids in my thirties. Owen at 33 and C at 39. And I totally agree with you. Having kids is something that one should do as young as one can stand to. Of course, a lot depends on the kid you get. Even 22 would have been too old to have Owen. C was a generally easier child, but he has his moments. Oh well, we make do with the hand we're dealt.

9:46 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

The cookies look wonderful. I can't wait to see what's in the box, and I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for your etsy store. I'm already a returning customer and can't wait to see what you do next! =)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I'm totally with Lisa on the car seats deal. My mom gave away the last of our baby things when I was 18 and BAM! She ended up with my little brother (adopted). She gave up the last of his stuff and DOUBLE-BAM, she's just about raising her grandkids. (She's in her 70s with a 15 yr old and 2 under 5s!!!) Where the woman gets her energy I don't know, I was not blessed with it.

Cheapy card tables are rather coveted, so if worse comes to worst, they are not very expensive at le Target and Wally World, btw.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Have fun out in Amherst! I have a lot of good memories from that area as it was the closest civilization once I got my license and it was close to where I went to college as well.

I'm excited to hear about what's going to happen with the tupperware bin and your craft room. Sounds like evil plans in the making! ;)

10:20 AM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

Aw, and here I was thinking I might get to share puffy-preggo-feet stories with you!

I certainly hope 30 isn't too old for a first-time dad: The Man will be 32 by the time this one arrives.

And I do love it when you get mysterious, Bez...it always bodes well!!!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Hey, I had a friend toot at me when I was on my bike, and guess what? Yup, I flipped her off! LOL!

Hah! I'm thinking at 36 I'm still too young! I would have been a monster young mother-NO patience and way too stressed! I'm almost calm enough now not to make a kid a mental case!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

And when a woman has a kid over the age of 40, it transforms her overnight to instant old lady. The rebound never occurs. You can all hiss and boo at me but I've seen it happen to my contemporaries over and over again, and experienced it myself. The worst thing that ever happened to me was getting pregnant at age 42. I've not been the same since. In biological terms, there's a reason you're at your most fertile from 15 to 35, because that's when you have the most energy to keep after the little brats, uh, I mean adorable scamps, and the ability to bounce back easily from a big physical expenditure of the resources of your body.
Keep the car seats.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else, keep the car seats. I still have some of my preggo clothes in the girls closet, not getting rid of them!! If I do you know what will happen. You have to have the one or two items that keep the stork away. And see it works your YYB is going on twenty! Thanks for the cookie recipe. Love, Mom

11:32 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

You know that when I picture you flipping me off, you're wearing pink curlers.

12:05 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I'm sure you'll find a crafty way to reuse those car seats! Maybe we'll see some tomatoes growing out of them next spring. ;)

12:49 PM  
Blogger Red Dog Knits - Kristi and Otis said...

Sheesh, I wan't even married until after I was 30. You realize that as soon as you start giving away the baby crap that you get knocked up?

1:53 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Have to make those cookies! I love craisins! Yeah..girl, I'd hold onto something...you know..just to be safe ;)

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

Mmmm, those cookies look good.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hey thanks for the cookie recipe! I always like to try a new one at Xmas time. I'm really intrigued with the the big thing in the pipeline deal. How could you do this to me? You know I'm not working yet! I'll be wondering all the damn time now. I'm definitely not going to Rhinebeck this year. Again.

3:25 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Definitely hold on to one of the seats, but if you put the other out on the curb, it will never make it to the landfill. Someone will take it.

You know the middle finger salute is actually the NJ state bird? It's TRUE!

Being the ripe young age of 46 (in 2 weeks) I have people all around me telling me not to give up hope. Hope I have - for all sorts of other things - kids are now off the table. I don't want to be an old mom. So I don't blame you for making that decision. Who knows you better than you?

3:27 PM  
Anonymous NikBudnik said...

Guess what I got after giving away baby crap and turning 30 ( Exactly ONE week away from my birthday)?
Yep- the adorable LJB implanted in my womb.
I wouldn't throwing stuff away, especially once it gets closer to your birthday. ;)

4:22 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Go ahead, post wants on Freecycle. After all, I might just be too lazy to post my old table.....Not that actually happen or anything...

4:29 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Um, will there be any of those cookies left when I get there?

-T.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Hey can you sell any of that stuff on ebay? It might help pay for your car repairs...just a thought.

I hear you on the baby thing- I am one of the crazy ones that is going to fit number two in just under the big 40. Not sure why I think that's a good idea, but there it is....

11:08 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I make those cookies all the time, right off the back of the Craisins bag! LOL!

I had my last baby at 31, and thought long and hard before we did it. I wish I had the energy I had with my first for this round of the terrible twos, but it's all good. And let me tell you, some nights even third grade homework kicks our asses :)

10:36 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Oh I am so buying white chocolate chips and crasins tomorrow. Those look so good!!! You just blew my good eating and now I will have to walk an extra 1000 steps tomorrow LOL

I am almost 37 and I know that done feeling for sure!!!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Those cookies look delicious! Mmmmm.

I thought I was done at 30 too, then along came PeeWee 11 years after her big brother! Whoops! The way I figure it, the stuff was all improved so much and safety standards had changed so I was happy to have the new girly goods. Pushing 39 here and I know you should never say never. Not that it's in the plans, mind you, I really did always think 30 was the not after this age for me. But I'm not tempting Fate by saying no more out loud...

I wish our cheap card table was not in the landfill with half our house. It was amongst the flooded debris, enough stuff to build a new country when you add up all the stuff hauled out from my 'hood! Scary thought indeed!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home