Monday, November 26, 2007

Christmas um, cookie? countdown

Ok, so no cookies today. I skipped making Sunday cookies because Chunky's birthday is Tuesday and he wants me to bake his class Boston Cream Cupcakes to take in and I'll also be baking him a racecar cake. My fat ass doesn't need a bunch of cookies lying around in addition to all that cake!

However, I know y'all wanted the recipe for the Pumpkin Praline Roll I made for dessert for Thanksgiving.

You get that today instead of cookies.

I took this from Betty Crocker's Ultimate Cake Mix Cookbook (no comments on the cake mix factor Nikki!) I'm probably violating copyright laws by putting this in here, but I'll put the way I bake it.

Pumpkin Praline Roll
3 eggs
3/4 cup canned pumpkin (I used real pumpkin that I cooked and pureed myself)
1/4 cup of white cake mix
2 teasp. cinnamon
1/2 teasp. nutmeg
1/8 teasp. ground cloves
powdered sugar
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
chopped pecans

Grease a sheet of aluminum foil or wax paper and line a jelly roll pan (15 1/2" X 10 1/2" X 1"). I used parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 375 deg.

Take your 3 eggs and beat the hell out of them until they're stiff or lemon yellow. Mine never got stiff, but that didn't hurt the recipe.

Add in the pumpkin. Beat until incorporated.

Gradually beat in the cake mix, the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves on low speed (you don't need a mixer to do this though--your arm works just as well)

Pour the cake onto the pan, spread it to all of the corners.

Bake for 8-12 minutes or until the middle of the cake bounces back when you touch it.

When the cake comes out it should look something like this:

100_4944

My jelly roll pan was a tad bit too big. I only used half of it.

Here's where you have to work fast.

Take a clean dishtowel and sugar it to hell with powdered sugar.

100_4945

Now take the cake, and put it on the towel with the sugar. You can do this by putting the towel over the cake while it's in the pan and turning it upside down and then peeling the foil/wax paper/parchment paper off the bottom of the cake.

100_4947

Now roll the cake up in the towel.

100_4948

Let it cool for 30 minutes.

While it's cooling it's time to make the frosting!

Take your 4 oz of cream cheese (softened) and cream it together with the 1/2 cup of brown sugar.

100_4940

I used dark brown sugar. Those little nuggets of molasses like sugar you see in my cream cheese mixture did NOT hurt the final outcome of the frosting.

Now slowly add your 1 cup of heavy whipping cream.

100_4941

Whip it. Whip it real good.

100_4942

Check out the stiffness of those peaks.

Now add some crushed pecans. You can do the 2 tablespoons the recipe calls for, or more.

100_4943

By now, it's nearly time to unroll the cake. If not, then put the frosting in the fridge to help it keep it's consistency.

When it's time to unroll the cake, slowly unroll it.

100_4949

Don't worry if it cracks like a mo'fo because that honestly makes no difference. Mine cracked a hell of a lot more than what's shown here.

Frost the inside of the roll with 1/2 of the frosting and roll it back up. Transfer it to a serving plate.

100_4950

With the rest of the frosting, go to town on the cake. Sprinkle pecans all over the cake top.

100_4953

Be sure to keep the cake in the fridge, covered loosely, when not in use.

100_4954

It was so damn good!!

And hey, I know this doesn't take the place of Cheapass Christmass.

Since y'all really seem to be missing that I'll make a point of posting some Cheapass Tips this season. I can't guarantee it will be structured like last year though!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

YUM! That looks fantastic! I love the Betty Crocker cookbook.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

That does look yummy!

8:36 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

I wanna piece!

-T.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Well, I'm kind of ignoring all your sweets, but I can see that if I were interested in them, and I am so NOT! (HAH!) That one would be especially delicious!

Hey Budday! "Christmas Cookies" are specifically any sort of Christmas 'treat'. So the definition is applicable according to my lexicon.

10:48 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

That looks like one tasty roll!

Cookies or cheapass, do whichever you want, however you want - it's all holiday fun!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That looks so good. I have some pumpkin in the pantry too...

10:58 AM  
Blogger Andey Layne said...

What? Chunky's allowed to take in home-made treats? We have to take all store-bought goodies for school.

And I'm in awe of your pumpkin praline log. It's beautiful.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

That sounds really good. I love to make roll cakes. Everyone is always impressed and they are so easy to do.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum Yum!! I can feel my BS going up just looking at that praline roll!! Love, Mom

11:58 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

That looks great! I've never made any type of "roll" but have always been afraid of goofing it all up. I'll have to give this one a try.

I'm looking forward to seeing that race car cake too!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Oh man! I think I'm in love. Pecans are my favorite!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Thanks so much for sharing this! I sure would like to see Betty write her book in this fashion ;) I'd own them all!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Now I'm hungry AND I have DEVO in my head.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oh I love that recipe!! Yum!

4:36 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Yum!!

5:54 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Yummie!! I soooooo wanted that recipe! And the pictures!! Now, if only I can think of a post-Thanksgiving sugar-high reason to make it this weekend??!! Oh, decorating the tree activity cake?!

6:22 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

hmm . If I catch a red-eye I could be there in time for the cupcake party!

11:23 PM  
Blogger maggie said...

mmm. Now I so want the boston cream cupcake recipe!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Enid said...

wow!! this was a great post. Thanks for sharing.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I am so making that. Yum.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home