Friday, November 16, 2007

It's a Bird, It's a Plane...

...it's a hot air balloon?

100_4918

It's a Washamadoodle! Dirty dishes not included.

Here's the thing: ever since the IRS came knocking at our door with their greased broomsticks, I decided to wean myself off of my beloved yellow sponges with the green scrubbers on the back. They aren't that expensive when you buy them in bulk at Costco, but they're a luxury. And the first rule of belt tightening is cutting out luxuries.

I started using cotton dishcloths.

But cotton dishcloths just don't have the scrubbing power of the green back on the yellow sponge.

However, on a foodie/kitchen blog I read about how the blogger used old soda bottle tops to scrub the caked on food off of her pots and pans.

I tried and LOVED it! Using a little bottlecap works great! It gets the gunk off and doesn't really scratch the pan (not like I really care about that though).

However, I didn't like trying to keep track of my bottlecaps. Add in the fact that a certain black and white kitty at this house has a penchant for playing with bottlecaps, and it was getting to be a royal pain in the ass.

The Washamadoodle is my attempt to marry the bottlecap scrubber and the cotton dishcloth.

I started with this:

100_4890
Artsy fartsy!

And knitted around a balloon/round shape. Then before I closed it, I turned it inside out (the reverse stockinette side is better at scrubbing) and I stuffed it with 1" strips of an old terrycloth dishtowel.

Now I've got the power of a bottlecap at the end of a dishcloth.

It looks a little weird, but hey, if it works, I don't care.

We'll see if it works tomorrow when I do dishes. I was excited to finish this, but not so excited that I wanted to do a sinkful of dishes. That takes an act of Squashola!

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Really cool idea. I can't wait to hear how it works out for you!

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

Very clever!

9:11 AM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

very innovative! you have the best ideas.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

You should be applying for a patent for that. Really. Inventor woman!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I don't think anything would get me excited about doing dishes! but it will be interesting to see how it works. Another thing for your etsy store?

9:29 AM  
Blogger janna said...

You might also be able to knit a bottle cap into a corner (or two or three) of a regular warshrag.... Hmmmm......

9:54 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Now that is very clever! I never would have thought to use soda bottle caps! We're not really soda drinkers in this house, but I may have to try that!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

I love your brain.

10:10 AM  
Blogger knitty_kat said...

as usual you are brilliant without measure! Totally got to make one of these! And I bet it's washable unlike a sponge!!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

while having a hubby...who let's say, doesn't appreciate the 'hoardes of yarn' (in his opinion) he doesn't enjoy everything i knit and makes fun. but he LVOES the ballband dishcloth however, due to the scrubby power. get 'em where we can, eh?

11:30 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

love it! Great idea!

11:39 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

So clever! What an interesting idea and the name is great.

12:25 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

You are a clever clever girl.

12:29 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Interesting concept. I'm anxious to here if it works out for you.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

Brilliant :-)

7:07 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

That is really interesting. I never would have thought of using a bottle cap as a scraper.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

You crack me up! What an ingenious idea!

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Danielle said...

Wow. A solution I never would have imagined to a need everyone has. You should get these mass-produced and sell them on TV.

1:14 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

You can wash my doodle.

-T.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Awesome you!! You are so creative in a wild way! ;)

10:52 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

So clever. Can you put a bar of soap in it? You should sell 'em.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

You started to loose me there at the end, it all got a little too knitting technical, but what a great idea.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home