Saturday, November 24, 2007

Make Way For Christmas Knitting

Or ducklings...whatever.

I boxed up my latest submission for Hats for Alex.

100_4964

That 17 or 18 hats will be going to Pam today.

Some of them are more like beanies, but maybe there will be a small-headed child that will enjoy them. I need to remember that not everyone gives birth to freakishly large headed children like myself.

My favorite this round? Definitely that olive and pimento hat!

I normally knit one Hat for Alex a week. But now that Christmas is officially upon us, it is time to throw myself into the Christmas knitting.

While Chunky and I were camped out under the cancer causing electric blanket yesterday afternoon watching movies, I worked on Grandpa Mad Scientist's scarf.

And I ran out of yarn.

100_4960

Bah. So now I have to hit Michaels for some more cheap-o yarn. Oof on Chartreuse Saturday. Yuck. I'm so not looking forward to that.

What kind of cheap-o yarn? Why that would be Vnn's Chc crylc.*

This is my go-to man scarf pattern. I made one for Dr. Mad Scientist two years ago when no one read this blog.

It's an easy stitch pattern that's reversible and goes fast when I double strand the yarn.

100_4961

Grandpa Mad Scientist requested a scarf made from Oakland Raiders colors (he's a California boy from waaaay back) and so Vnn's Chc had colors that fit the bill--black and a somewhat silvery "linen" color.

After I get this done, it's on to some potholders for Grandma Mad Scientist. I'm not sure what would work better--cotton or wool for those. Any feedback?

*You have to pay extra to buy the vowels.

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

Umm...I'll buy an e?
Check out this blog post for a possible coat collar coverup:
http://rettogvrangt.blogspot.com/2007/11/lots-of-things.html

7:54 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

go raiders!

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that you are in the "Xmas Spirit" will there be a "cheapass christmass" revival this year? Or is life more flush on your end this time around? That was a really funny thing you did last year :) I think its a good reminder for all of us...

8:46 AM  
Blogger Red Dog Knits - Kristi and Otis said...

AT our 12 month check, I found out that my sons have bigger heads than me!!!! WTF???!!!! Glad I am not the only one with freakisly large cranium kids.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Great pimento hat. Although they are all nice! I use football as a bargaining chip in this household too. Hmm, men=football? At any rate, I think a nice, felted wool potholder would be cool. Of course, I have a felting thing.....hides any mistakes I make....

10:22 AM  
Blogger Meg Weaver said...

I usually use wool and then felt them because that eliminates the little gaps between the stitches which my fingers always find. Knitpicks has a free pattern for felted potholders and oven mitts.

10:28 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

GO RAIDERS!!
I'll buy an A

Pimento hat is too cute--pass the martinis!

As for potholders, the felted wool idea is great for insulation but the messy side of me likes the cotton idea for easy washing so the bottom line is that I'm no help whatsoever!

10:46 AM  
Anonymous angela said...

How are you liking the yarn?
I like a felted wool potholder myself... I never use the cotton ones except for putting hot pots on. They seem too flimsy and slippery to me.

10:50 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I'll buy a y. I feel bad that it's only included sometimes.

Great hats! Those'll definitely push Pam over the 400 mark!

Hmmm, I'm with cpurl. Cotton seems easier to clean.

12:50 PM  
Blogger coastergirl said...

i would use felted wool... cotton is way to thin and acrylic doesn't hold up to really hot pots to well. I have not tried hemp - but that would most likely be thin too!

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

Wonderful hats! The olive is definitely the best.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I too love that olive hat!! Great job on all of them!! Hope you got more scarf yarn today, it's looking good! As for the potholders, I'd probably use wool too, but the ones I made my FIL still feel the heat..so yeah, I'm no help either..sorry! ;)

4:11 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

All my potholders are knit in kitchen cotton or Sugar and Cream made in this super thick Chinese Waves stitch pattern.
http://www.maggiesrags.com/freedishcloth.htm

I wouldn't make a hot pad out of wool unless I made it very thick and felted the heck out of it.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Connie said...

I would definitely use wool and felt the potholders. Your hats look great - so does the pending scarf!

4:57 PM  
Anonymous HappyPiranha said...

Bahahahha! Took me a minute to figure out the scarf yarn, and then I saw the footnote.

5:25 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Hee! Love the scarf. I'll buy an "A"! (And I've been reading your blog for 2 years!)

7:57 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Yay for people who like cheap yarn. I avoided the stores but drove to Lancaster. There was no traffic and few shoppers at the farmer's market we like. I did have to grocery shop today. It was great. So empty. And we try to not go out anymore on holidays. I have children who work retail and have to work more holidays than not.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

I just started too. It's only a couple more weeks till Christmas, aaargh!

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home