Tuesday, November 20, 2007

More Selfish Knitting

I only say selfish because I should be concentrating on Christmas knitting.

I cast this on a week or so ago. It’s a Victorian Lace Collar.

When I pulled out my winter coat this season, I also pulled out my tired old Irish Hiking Scarf. I decided I wanted something new to keep my neck warm this winter.

I went on a search for something that would:

a)not be bulky under my coat like a scarf or gaiter; and
b)wasn’t too loose like a smokering.

100_4933

This collar fit the bill. And yes, I discovered it while perusing The Place That Shall Not Be Named. But I always said The Place would be best for me as a pattern library.

The stats:

Pattern: Victorian Lace & Ribbed Neck Warmer

Needles: US 3

Yarn: Jo Sharp Silk Georgette (Alpaca, Merino, and Silk!)

Notes: This was a self published pattern and it had a few spots that were wonky—but hey, it’s a free pattern, you can’t really complain. And because I wasn’t knitting with the suggested big-fat chunkish yarn the pattern called for I made a few modifications.

If you knit this, pay attention to what one blogger posted in the comment section about the lace pattern being off. I paid attention for the first repeat, but not when I did the second repeat. Ah well, at first glance, no one will know. The second lace repeat was part of my modifications. The pattern only calls for one.

I also didn’t follow her instructions to make the buttonholes because of gauge and ignorance issues. Buttonholes are like piecrusts to me—I can make them just not well.

This yarn was to die for. I got this from Kate in a swap last year. So damn soft and luxurious! I had been holding on to this lone ball just waiting for the right project and this was definitely it. The buttons are leftover from some defunct baby-sweater idea that never came to fruition.

I think this might be my new favorite luxury yarn. I’m not sure I ever had a favorite luxury yarn but this is it now! My only gripe is that I wish it came in a heavier weight. I would love if this came in a worsted weight!

Sadly, I don't like it. It gaps where I don't want it too. It's not the pattern's fault really, I think it's because I used such a lightweight yarn.

100_4936

Ah well the search for a suitable non-bulky neck warmer continues. Maybe one of those keyhole scarves.

Thus concludes my for-me knitting. I cast on for the Grandpa Mad Scientist scarf last night and despite it being a scarf and thus boring, it’s making for great TV knitting.

My travel-knitting has also shifted to different Christmas knitting now that Autumn Walk is done. I’d like to show you what that is, but I think the recipient might read this blog. There’s a great story to this knit too, which is a bummer. I’ll just have to wait until after Christmas to tell you about it.

I’ll probably be going dark here soon. Today I have to make “fruit kabobs” for Chunky’s school Thanksgiving party and Wednesday is my Turkey Prep days—I’ve got to bake the cornbread, make the pumpkin praline roll, and get the dough for the dinner rolls ready.

We’ll be roasting our 12 pound bird and having all the fixings for just the three of us.

People seem to think we’re pathetic pobrecitos for not having family* around this time of year to share Thanksgiving with. Normally at least one person tries to invite us to partake in dinner with them.

Bah, yeah, like I want to hang out with your crazy relatives any more than you do. No thanks!

Then day after Thanksgiving me and the Chunk have plans to plant and watch Christmas movies all day. I’ll be Christmas knitting or perhaps working on The Very Big Project. We’ll see. There will be no shopping for us.

After my weekend of stimulating the economy this past weekend, I’m done with real flesh and blood shopping--it’s all online this year baby!



*Doesn’t a husband and kid count as “family”? Shoot, I did a big dinner for me and Dr. Mad Scientist the first year we were married before Chunky was around.

Labels: ,

29 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

My first thought was that you had done yourself up a sexy little skirt... It's too bad that it doesn't do what you want. I've made keyhole scarves in the past - very easy.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

I've gotten 4 Thanksgiving invites this year, people do seem to pity me because I don't have a "family" Thanksgiving. I don't even have the husband/kid deal. What I really want to do is make my favorite sides and sit on the couch in my polar bear pj's watching romantic comedies, not get dressed and sit at a table being polite.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Connie said...

The neckwarmer is really pretty - I hope you find something you like better though. I would love to go on a vacation for the entire holiday season! :) My husband is onboard with this but I think the rest of the family (sisters, mothers-in-law) etc would not - oh well - I have a lot of food to prepare. Hope you have a great day!

8:14 AM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

ooh that one little open spot of coldness would drive me nuts. hope you find a good solution!

spicy and i are continuing our tradition started last year of cooking together by ourselves for thanksgiving. i'm really not into the extended family thing.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous boo said...

Could you add one or two more buttons to close the little diamond of coldness? The lace might stretch far enough.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I think the collar is cute, but I see about the gapping place. Maybe make Wendy Wonnacott's new scarf Frilly? If it's not too girly for your taste?

We've had Thanksgiving with just our nuclear family more often than not over the years. I really enjoy it that way. And around here, everyone has a zillion relatives within half a day's drive, so they think we're a bit strange.(Well, we are a bit strange by Wisconsin standards, but I like that.) Enjoy your day on your terms. I think people who crank the stress setting to 11 want others to share the pain as a way of making themselves feel better. Just say No!

9:42 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

What if you turned the collar around? The gap would be covered by the back of your coat collar, and you'd have more coverage in the front!

Hubster and I will be Thanksgivinging with just my bro and his roomie. The smallest turkey I could find was almost nine pounds, so it'll be a feast for four! Nice, non-stressful, time together rules!

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

Very pretty, even with the gap. I love the pearl buttons.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

It's a lovely neckwarmer. Mayb if you overlapped it a bit more it wouldn't gap? As for spending thanksgiving with "just" your family, isn't that what' it's all about? besides being more restful than the frenetic huge family crap.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

We also have a small 'just us'dinner and I wouldn't have it any other way. Why spend a good day with people I don't spend the rest of the year with? This year we are hosting my daughter's boyfriend's family and it should prove interesting because his mom thinks I don't like her. Oh goody. Someone I met once and she thinks I don't like her. Oh well, I'll get through it.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

it's a pretty scarflett even if it's not exactly what you wanted.

I'm feeling rejected here though... I have *no* family in these parts and I only got one invite! But it's kinda true, the only thing worse than being with my dysfunctional family over the holidays is being with someone else's dysfunctional family!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

You can just chalk that up to the famous Norman Rockwell illustration of the perfect family Thanksgiving. Everybody has it in their head and tries to live up to it. Forget that business. I'm thankful for the fact that I don't have to cook a bunch of crap for a bunch of peeps, my family, that I cannot stand. Praise be to all that is good and great.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Your collar is very pretty - I'm sorry that it gapes in the wrong spot though.

11:45 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Your Thanksgiving will be just like mine--me,the Ps, and the neighbors across the street and I LIKE it that way.

The collar is very cute!

11:47 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

You deserve to knit something for yourself. There shouldn't be any guilt involved.

oh - the post on my blog did have more cival war references than I realized. But yes, that is where Sherman's name originally came from. You should here my husband try and explain it to all the southern neighbors!

12:49 PM  
Anonymous what_pattern? said...

My favorite Thanksgiving ever was years ago - just me & my little sister visiting from college, cooking the whole meal in my teeny studio apartment! I think the oven heated the place up so much that my sis took off her pants. Try doing THAT with all the extended family around...

4:07 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

The neckwarmer is pretty but that gap in the neck/chest area would make me crazy too. I like the Cherry Garcia from Hello Yarn. It's a free pattern. Only 100 yards needed and it is a quick and easy knit.
Have a very Happy Thanksgiving with your family!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Andey Layne said...

My sil had the same issue until year before last- he was in the military, so they were all over the place. They created some really neat traditions for their own family- like going to the movies on Christmas afternoon after presents.

Even now, after moving close to home, they still keep up all of those traditions.

And the relevance of that is pretty close to nil, I know.

Oh yeah, I'm totally going to try yesterday's cookies. Was it yesterday? The Egyptian ones. They look splendiferous, and I looove coffee. :)

7:34 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Well it certainly is pretty. Can you turn it into a Christmas gift? Here's a pattern I think is nice - by a bloggy friend who is pretty damn hilarious to boot.

http://www.yarnabuse.com/cashmere-neckwarmer/

11:09 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

We have family ... too much family ..., and for the first eight years here, we always spent Thanksgiving with them. Last year I got all radical with my 100-Mile Thanksgiving, and now they all think I'm weird ... well, I've always been weird, but now they all avoid me :).

This year I'm doing an all Maine turkey dinner with all the fixins, and we're going to stay home and play games - just us, my little ohana ;).

I think the neck-warmer is very pretty. Lovely color. I hope you're able to find something that suits your needs better. A neckwarmer is certainly more useful (and necessary :) in Jersey than in Texas :).

11:40 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

I love the neckwarmer...bummer about where it opens though!

Happy happy thanksgiving!! I have to agree with you...sometimes the smaller holiday gatherings are the best ones (I love when its dad and sister and I....this year...lots of cousins and aunts and uncles...not the same). Enjoy!

2:07 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

My first thought was that you should turn it around. If it is "Victorian" lace, it's just as traditional for the buttons to go up the back of the neck as the front. I should know, I wrote far too long a paper on victorian fashions in high school. Me of the t-shirt and jeans fashion...I amused my history teacher to no end.

Happy Turkey Day...your comment on family and turkey day gave me yet another random thought for my post today...which I still have to write...

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I have not been able to leave a comment in a couple of days!!! I have "Comment withdawals"!!! That will teach me to mess with the settings on my computer!! Your neck warmer is very pretty, too bad about the gab. Have a Happy Thnaksgiving!!! Love, Mom

2:12 PM  
Blogger hannah said...

I found this neckwarmer while surfing and thought I'd pass it along (in case you were still looking :) It seems like it'd be easy enough to modify it for buttons if you didn't want to pull it over your head :)

http://www.needlebeetle.com/free/nw.htm

5:58 PM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I think you can turn it so that the buttons are on the back or on the side also. Still, the gap needs to be closed. If you've got yarn left you can pick up and knit a wedge there. You could send it to meeeee! I just participated in K.A.Y.E. this very day!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

It's pretty but that little cold spot would make me crazy.

I would so much rather it was just the four of us for Thanksgiving. We're going to my aunt's house and she decided that the 8 of us was not enough and invited 11 of her friends who we've never even met. Should be interesting. (that's code for weird as all get out, her friends are strange on a good day)

Happy Thanksgiving!

6:41 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Other than the gap, its very nice. :) If you ever find a pattern for a lightweight yarn one of those let us know! :)

7:32 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I think it as in the book "one skien wonder"....there was a cowl (did I spell that right) and it would I think be exactly what you want.

I had got the book from the library.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Lien said...

I've been looking for a neckwarmer like that, too. I was going to go with a smokering, but...you are right, it's loose.

Your collar does give some food for thought, though.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home