Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Oatmeal, Old People, and Object of a Finished State

This week's blogstalking is one that I managed to actually do.

I didn't do statues.

I didn't do a day in the life.

I didn't do the oldest picture of me.

I won't be playing catchup to do these ones. It kind of feels good to be a rebel slacker.

But "what's for breakfast?" I can do.

I was never a big breakfast eater until I had Chunky. Now since he eats breakfast everyday, what the heck, so do I.

When we moved to New Jersey, the Chunk and I somehow got on an oatmeal kick.

You take one apple and dice it (don't worry about peeling it).

100_4850

Add one cup of oatmeal (I use the old fashioned non-quickie kind--super duper cheap).

100_4851

Add two cups of water.

100_4852

Nuke it for six minutes.

100_4853

Divy it up between you and the Chunk and add a spoonful of brown sugar to each bowl.

100_4855

Enjoy the blurry goodness!

I love this breakfast because normally when I eat any other food in the morning, by 10:00 a.m. I'm starving again. If I skip breakfast entirely, or eat oatmeal, this doesn't happen.

We used to eat the Quaker instant oatmeal in Michigan and Texas. However, like the price of gas and milk, for some reason the price of the big old boxes of it I bought at Sam's kept creeping higher and higher.

But enough about boring old oatmeal.

Onto more boring topics!

I voted yesterday. This means that I have voted in four separate states in the eleven years I have been registered to vote.

So far, New Jersey wins for easiest voting.

In Alaska I voted out of my precinct with a question ballot (I was attending college). That was a pain in the ass, but understandable since I wasn't voting in my precinct.

In Michigan, the lines at the firestation in our neighborhood were always out the door and the booths and lines were poorly set up for ease of use.

In Texas, the lines were even freaking worse! I felt rushed to get in, vote, and get the hell out. However, since I knew I was leaving Texas at the time I voted, I wasn't too terribly concerned with the outcome of the races.

New Jersey was great. I got to vote at the school that spurned my Chunky from kindergarten (added bonus I got to check out the school he'll be attending for first grade). There were no lines whatsoever and the polls were open until 8:00 p.m. (In MI I want to say they always closed at 7:00 p.m.). I voted at 6:30 p.m. after picking up Chunky from school.

They had roomy booths that allowed me to bring Chunky in there with me and he could clearly see the ballot and what I was doing. (And yes, I may have let him press a button I told him to press--I remember my Old Man letting me punch a hole in a ballot when he took me with him to vote back in the day).

My only complaints were they misspelled my first name. Never mind the complexities of the true Bezzie last name--they couldn't spell "Rebecca." So my voter ID card reads: "Reecca."

The elderly people running the voter check-in weren't too on the ball either. They tossed me from table to table trying to find my name on the voter list.

Apparently the street I live in is broken up into two precincts and the two precincts vote at the same place. After finally nearly yelling* at the old lady checking names that my name started with B-E-Z not B-E-F (because Z and F sound soooo alike) she found my name.

I voted for the measure to fund stem cells and for property tax relief, both of which were shot down.

In retrospect, this is probably a good thing.

Whereas I am a strong believer in stem cell research, it makes sense for the financial strapped NJ to concentrate it's monetary resources in other places.

Stem cells are kind of like the candy bar at the grocery store. Sure, it would be delightful to have that candy bar, but right now when you're on a tight budget, do you really need that candy bar? No. Focus on buying the staple food first and then you can buy the candy bar when you've got more money.

It's not like there aren't other ways to do the research that stem cells can help do.

From what I've picked up, cancer cells work pretty well too. Stem cells seem to be the Cadillac of research whereas the non-stem cell lines being used right now are like your dad's old 1975 Dodge Pickup that he had your brothers paint red with housepaint one summer and that you can't bring to a complete stop at a stoplight so you have to inch, inch, inch, inch until the light turns green lest the truck stall out and you're stranded. It gets the job done, but just not as efficiently.

But what do I know? I'm just boinking a scientist.

Finally, if you've made it this far, I give you a picture reward:

100_4859

I made a Caloriemetry with the yarn that Cpurl sent me last week.

It's the actual yarn that the pattern calls for and I still don't understand why anyone would cast on the 120 stitches the pattern calls for. I only cast on 100 and it fits just fine.

120 stitches seems just way too big!!

I've got another one on the needles that I may keep or give to someone for Christmas. If only that someone knew who they were. Ha ha!




*I think she was hard of hearing--it wasn't anger yelling.

Labels: , ,

33 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Am I glad that it was not anger yelling at that OLD LADY!!! And Yes you are my daughter!!! Everything I have ever voted for has been truned down or lost. If you want to win an election don't have me vote for you! Your Tam is going to get a real AK workout today, I work 10 to 2 and since it is light out then I am walking ot work. I will tell you how it warms. Love, Mom
PS: Are you knitting something for me for Christmas???

10:30 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Okay -- after seeing all your variations on this (am I right in remembering you've made several?), I'm going to make a Calorimetry for me!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I'll have to try making oatmeal that way. I have some apples that I consider below the eating stage (I like my apples crisp not soft!) and they would be good for this since you are zapping them anyway. Have you tried this with pears?

11:46 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Hey your Calorimetry came out great! I'm making one right now as I type (pretty remarkable that I can type and knit at the same time).

I like your 100 cast on idea. I did 120 but am using size 6 needles. We'll comapre notes!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Mmm, oatmeal. Best fall breakfast ever.

I didn't vote yesterday, bad citizen, but where I live it was only a school board vote and it was pretty much pre-ordained anyway. I was hiding out from the anonymous person who emailed me after my Monday blog entry who said she wanted to bring her prayer group to my house and work on my antipathy to Christians.

11:59 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

That oatmeal looks a lot better than any of the instant oatmeal I've ever had.

That head wrap came out very nice!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I voted yesterday and all of my candidates won (that was a first since I've lived in this state!). We have gotten rid of our indicted governor. :)

How many stitches did you cast on for your calorimetry? I've gone down to 100, and it's still too many.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Bezzie - I have the same exact Microwave! And in true Cheap-ass fashion I inherited it from a friend a long time ago. LOL.

PS - can I come over for breakfast sometime?

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The old fashioned oatmeal is so much better anyhow! That is all I buy!

:)

Kay

2:57 PM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

nice headband! and i like cheapie oatmeal too, but with brown sugar and maple syrup.

i didn't vote. i'm a horrible person.

2:59 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

oh that looks good, I'll try it for breakfast tomorrow. Love the caloriemetry (sp??) the colour is great too.

3:34 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I think I'm going to follow suit and start calling myself weealana.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Nothing to vote for yesterday here. Local politics are a crime, a shame and a sham.
Nice headband.

My oatmeal days are OVER! Suddenly it is indigestible after years of brewing up just such pots of it as yours.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I've missed a lot of blogstalking too, and I have no intentions of making it up.

Amusingly enough I was planning on doing oatmeal too this week!

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

I love oatmeal. I especially love the steel cut oats that are extra chewy.

Maybe the designer of Calorimetry has a bigger head!

5:09 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I didn't get home in time to vote yesterday. Ok, I lied. I did but as soon as I pulled into my parking spot and brought in my luggage, I had to hike it out of there and go to the guild meeting. So I didn't have time to vote. I was out of town or I swear I'd go! I'm all about my civic duty.

In other news, the Calorimetry looks great! I had done the pattern as written but on smaller needles so it still worked for me. But yeah, I hear ya.

Love the oatmeal recipe. Never would have thought to cut up an apple to put in it. But Apple & Cinnamon was always my favorite from the pack of flavored stuff. One question though, for the recipe, are you going to ship Chunky to me to share it with?

5:45 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

My hubby calls me the "slacker chick"! Apparently we are similar in nature! And my husband (who is of Scottish extraction and is indeed the cheapest person I know) says the old-fashioned oatmeal is better than the instant. It has nothing to do with price, according to him.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I voted for stem cell research too. Yes, we are cash strapped but some things are important.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

Well Reecca, I feel your pain. My first aid card says my last name is Buelnik.
That oatmeal looks good. I love oatmeal so very much!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Looks like the govverrnmennt is up to its doubling tricks again. Reecca-gawd, does it ever stop? Love your new knit (I can't spell it without looking);)Everyone I read that made it, got big ones. I'll keep the co 100 in mind (or grow my head larger) we'll see. Yours is really nice! Thansk for the easy recipe, I always have the old fashioned oats in, they make great cookies too :)

9:11 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I too am slacking on the blogstalking posts! I really want that oatmeal now!! Might have to make that tomorrow! Nice job on the Calorimetry too!

10:10 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

I'm so going to go have oatmeal and apples for dessert! Looks delicious!! And I think I have some oatmeal already for baking...must go see!! Yummy!

And the calorimetry looks great!!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Apples and porridge, hmmmm.

6:00 AM  
Anonymous nikBudnik said...

Genes Sams Club card says Eugee Budnik. Haha!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Yummy oatmeal!

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Cpnnie said...

We love oatmeal here but have never tried the apple trick! Looks yummy! Instant oatmeal is not very good for you because all the good stuff is taken out which allows it to cook faster.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

Definitely want to give the apple/oatmeal breakfast a try.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous bufanditas said...

I'll take old fashion oatmeal over the instant or quick cooking kind anytime. It's just a lot more filling a tastes a whole lot better. Instead of H2O and apples, I make mine with milk and raisins. At the rate milk prices have increased, I might just have to try your version.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Ah, voting! Here in Maine we fill in the circle with a felt-tip pen (remember those standardized tests? Yeah, like that ;). We always bring the girls with us and one gets on Dad's shoulders, one squeezes in the booth with him, and the other squeezes in the booth with me.

I like your oatmeal recipe. We do much the same thing, only no microwave means I have to cook it on the stove - which given I don't use "quick cooking" oats, actually doesn't take so long. Instead of apples, I put a couple of frozen berries (strawberries or blueberries) in the bottom of the bowl and add the hot oatmeal over top, and then, we use maple syrup as the sweetener. With the Maine oats, I found, it's become one of our favorite 100% Maine meals ;).

9:40 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oatmeal good.

I totally agree, if I don't have breakfast I'm fine...but if I have something like cereal, I end up starving a few hours later.

12:39 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Thanks for the oatmeal tip! I'll try that! And, I love the Calorimetry. Depending on what yarn I'm using I even cast on as little as 80 stitches. I too can't understand the 120!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yummy oatmeal. Makes me warm and fuzzy.

I love to go vote, it's such a fun thing to do, I always bring the kids too.

Yes, stem cells, they are a lovely thing. I wish the rest of the world would understand their import. My daughter could have avoided open heart surgery if they's been allowed to inject those suckers into her heart in utero... sigh, one day young children will be saved from things like open heart surgery, but I understand it's not really readily accepted yet...

Cool Calorimetry! I like those colors!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I love your calorimetry....I so need to try one of those.

We had our voting back in October. My youngest was so interested in the whole process. After I explained about it...the signs on lawns and everything. She compared it to how they voted in school cause some people wanted to watch Franklin and some people wanted to watch Clifford. So they had the kids who wanted to watch one go stand by the desk and the others by the rocking chair. LOL If only it was that easy!

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home