Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Past Due

I am way past due in thanking a certain Kooky Auntie M in Florida (she knows who she is!) for a simply crazy lavish set of boxes she sent me in the past few weeks.

I hate that I can’t call her my Crazy Aunt M instead of Kooky.

It seems like it would be me ripping off Crazy Aunt Purl’s name. Her name is pervasive enough for even I, a non-reader of her blog, to know.

El sigho. (I’m trying a Spanish twist on the cyber phrase “le sigh.” Sorry Pepe Le Pew, with our country’s demographics, I think the more progressive thing to say is “el sigho.”)

But back to my Kooky Auntie M. She popped my Noro cherry. I’ve never knit with it. I’ve fondled in the yarn store, but never had the calling to purchase it. She sent me a ton of the stuff!

100_4998

And not only that—she sent me three knittingbooks.

One of those books is Knitting New Scarves.

100_4995

Now, despite the three scarves I have in my list of 2007 finished objects, I’m not a big scarf knitter. But Kooky Auntie M wasn’t thinking I would use it for scarves--rather as an idea platform.

How right she was.

I can’t wait for the holidays to be over--ok, I can't wait for holiday knitting to be over!

After flipping through the books she sent me and fondling the Noro I’ve got so many ideas brewing right now as a result of Kooky Auntie M’s generosity. Thanks M!

But I’m making progress in Christmas knitting.

The secret cat-warmer project (the thing Springs was so delicately sitting on in the other day’s post) is done. And of course, the Grandpa Mad Scientist scarf is done too. I thought those things would take a lot longer making than they actually did.

I’m also making great progress on Grandma Mad Scientist’s potholders. Since she asked for “hot pads” and I’m not exactly sure what her definition of “hot pad” is and her son is oblivious to these types of things and was no help when I asked him, I’ve decided I’ll make her two potholders (lightly felted) and a cotton (what I consider) a “hot pad”—a rest for your hot dishes when you put them on your counter top/table. (Whew! What a run-on sentence!)

Finally, I'm making a dent in my office Christmas presents. As this is my first Christmas in this office, I don’t know what the holiday gift protocol is. Therefore, I’m just doing something small but that will still be impressive to them as non-knitters. I’m making these:

100_5000

They’re the same little felted Christmas trees I made for my coworkers last year. Ah the joys of moving so much—I don’t have to come up with original ideas!

I’ve got about six or seven to make and I’ve got three knitted already. Knitting them takes 20 minutes. Of course felting them and “decorating” them with beads will take a bit longer.

Oof! Even though I think I’ll finish the Christmas knitting somewhat earlier than expected, I still have sooo much to do.

El sigho.

Oh and for those who have made it this far, I think it might have just been the angle picture of Chunky yesterday that threw you off. He wasn’t a particularly large baby—just 7 lbs. 14 oz. He was however a whoppin’ 22 inches long. Might I add that I am only 5’2”? Imagine having 22” of Chunky curled up in your stumpy little torso. Oof. Is it any wonder I used to call him my little tapeworm when I was pregnant?

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

That yarn looks amazing!

I wish I had a kooky aunt somewhere who sent me random yarn! :)

7:09 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I can't wait to see what you do with the Noro and that book. I took a look at the book last time I was in a book shop. there were some interesting things in it.

Oh, I forgot about those great felted trees! I think it will be a hit!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Auntie M makes me think Oz, not Aunt Purl. I don't see why you can't call your (very very nice) aunt whatever. Enjoy the Noro bounty!

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Miss T said...

Nice aunty you have! That's going to be fun to knit with. Hurry up and finish the gifts so you can play!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

OMG!! What a great aunt! I can't wait to see what project you use the yarn for!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

I love the felted trees for work gifs. About five million years ago a coworker gave me an angel she made of felt and I still put it on my tree and wonder where she is now.
(Shelli Spinazie! if you're out there, email me!) (You too Sonya Mihalik, whom I have searched and searched for with no luck!)

I sure like that Kooky Aunt of yours. She's cool! ;)

11:02 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

What a generous Kooky Auntie M. you have! Can't wait to see what kind of Noro fabulousness comes out of the Bezzinator!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Go ahead and call her Crazy. I don't read the blog either but you're right, the name is pervasive. However, no one can claim ultimate rights to term crazy. There are just too many crazies out there!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Wow! Kookie Aunti M. does Rock! =) I love the colors of your Noro... very cool.

And I love the felted trees! Now I know what to make for my coworkers this year too!!!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Happy late birthday Chunky! 6! Woo!

oooh, what a nice gift, Noro, and books!

Glad your Christmas knitting is going well, mine...eh. El Sigho.

12:10 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Well, I for one was expecting pictures of yesterday's festivities. Didn't you say there was going to be a racecar cake?

Nice yarn and knitting, though.

-T.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice yarn so you are going to springboard from the books? Nothing like seeing what others are doing and then going your own way. I do that with most of my clothes and quilt patterns.
As for Chunkie being long you were no slouch either, 21 inches and almost a puond more. Like Mother like son!!! Love, Mom

1:12 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Those Christmas Trees? So very cool. I may rip off your idea.

1:20 PM  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

what a cool coworker gift idea! i might steal it, as i'm starting to feel a little lacking with my washcloths. and i have no time to make anything else.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Where the heck is this Auntie M? I must find her! Very nice gifting! You're almost done with your Christmas knitting? Brat!

3:36 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

You've never popped your Noro cherry? Oh, the joys you are in for.

5:21 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I love your Crazy Aunt!

And, since recycling is all the rage, nothing wrong with making the same ornaments!

5:55 PM  
Blogger knitty_kat said...

oooh, enjoy that Noro!

22 inches is still a good size - maybe he just had a big head?!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

he's a cute lil' tapeworm tho! nice noro, I think you'll come up with an amazing knit thing in the end. I have to say I am very impressed with your gift knitting! I get so dejected when I gift a non-knitter, and they just don't get excited enouugh, el sigho!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Fabulous! That's my kind of kooky, for sure!

And I was just looking through that scarf book today. Not much of a scarf knitter either, but these are so... non-boring! I want to make several of these.

9:24 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Twenty two inches does sound incredibly long! Have fun with the Noro. It's like crack. You will find that you can't stop knitting it. You will have to keep on knitting to see all the color changes.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yikes!! He was long! Happy Belated Birthday to him!! Love those Noro colors!! Have fun knitting with it, it is interesting! :)

9:46 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Those felted Christmas trees are fabulous!! I hear you on the Christmas knitting...I can't wait to be done so I can knit for me! I've got a long way to go though!!

Love the Noro too!

11:54 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I love the idea of a felted christmas tree.

The book looks like it has some really interesting things in it. I can't wait to hear about what you do with it and the noro.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I need a kooky aunt somewhere to sending me random yarness too!

I love those felted trees. Those turn out so cute!

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home