Friday, November 23, 2007

What I'm Thankful For

This week's Blogstalking is Thanksgiving--what I'm thankful for.

Easy peasy!

I'm thankful for my little Chunkito:

100_4938-1

And before you think it's un-PC for my whitebread kiddo to be dressing as a Native American--he came home talking about how the Pilgrims spread disease to the Native Americans and made them sick and some of them died.

Wow. I know I sure as hell didn't learn about that stuff in kindergarten. How cool is this private kindergarten I send him to? Hee hee!

I'm also thankful we were all together this Thanksgiving. A far cry from last Thanksgiving.

100_4958

I'm also thankful that even though it took about 15 hours of cooking and prep time that the boys loved the food enough to devour it in 15 minutes.

100_4959

Finally I'm thankful that we actually got to spend a full Thanksgiving with Dr. Mad Scientist. I can't remember the last Thanksgiving that Dr. Mad Scientist didn't have to go into work at least for a few hours.

Everyone is so gung-ho on thanking cops and firefighters for sacraficing their holidays--but we never remember everyone else. There are doctors, nurses, convenience store operators, journalists, TV station operators, movie theater workers and a bunch else I'm sure I'm missing all working these holidays.

And there are the scientists that still have to feed the lab rats that are helping cure your diseases on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Cell lines don't take holidays.

Alright now I'm off to do the dishes from last night, take a shower and then me and Chunky have an afternoon planned of vegging on the couch watching "Elf" and "Christmas Eve On Sesame Street."

Hooray! We can now officially give in to Christmas!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger LilKnitter said...

I LOVE CHRISTMAS EVE ON SESAME STREET!!!

I'm so glad your Thanksgiving was worthy of...thanksgiving! You're such a wise cookie, with your priorities all lined up like family and happiness. It's super!

Happy Fun Friday!!! No Black Friday for you!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Looks like it was a great meal!! Glad you all got to spend the day together! :)

10:23 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Awesome post! I think it's great that you remind us all to remember those folks who work on days when the rest of us are often home with our families, but that we usually forget about - like convenience store clerks, hospital cafeteria and maintenance staff, and doctors and nurses.

Thanksgiving five years ago, I had a week old baby who was in the hospital on broad spectrum antibiotics while they figured out what was wrong with her. She had spinal meningitis due to a Strep-B infection. I am very thankful for the nurses who cared for her, the lab staff who worked to find out what was making her sick, and the hospital staff, who, among other things, prepared a wonderful dinner for her father and me.

There are so many people in our society who work behind the scenes. It's good when we remember they are there.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Sweet!
I made cookies for the Mr. They are half gone.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Nice post. All good things to think about, and it looks like you had a lovely time.

10:57 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Nice dinner! I'm thankful that Banquet makes TV turkey dinners and those Betty Crocker microwave-baked brownies are actually good.

-T.

11:08 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

It's good to know that Dr. MS was able to spend the full day with you. It's been a long time coming. =)

11:39 AM  
Blogger coastergirl said...

As a daughter of a physician (now retired) - THANKS!! I cannot tell you how many holidays were interrupted by a run to the hospital so dad could take care of his patients or someone having an emergency!

Love all the food for thought - and glad you all got to spend time together!

My folks and I also had 13 lbs of bird and fixins for the 3 of us as well!

Happy TG to you!

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh!!! There is soooooooo much to be thankful for where do I begin....I am thankful for my family, that they are all safe and sound, they may be spread out around the states but they all checked in and are doing good. Love, Mom
PS: Lets not forget the people who volunteer to work on these Holidays so that those with families can be together.

12:17 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Yay for an entire holiday together - and for post-holiday vegging out! Like Chunky's paper bag vest, too. ;)

1:02 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Glad you enjoy such a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

1:53 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

let the christmas madness begin!

2:14 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

If that isn't the cutest little Native American kindergarten ever!! Love his outfit!!

Glad you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving! Dinner looks delish!!

I agree, bring on Christmas!!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

It's all about family. And food of course!

Eeek! Did you say Christmas??? Yikes.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

*splutter* What?! Christmas! It's still November *splutter*
Good post.

8:29 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Sounds like a perfect Thanksgiving!!


I've worked retail and in a movie theater ('member?) so I can truly appreciate working through the holidays.

P.S. Chunky's vest has a super cool Berkeley vibe!

12:49 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

HOW much cranberry sauce?!
80)

Glad you had a great day :-)

2:38 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Yeah... I'm fairly certain Willow got the extreme-PC version...

7:42 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

grocery store workers...ugh. how i hated people who waited til the last minute to buy their food and then complained at the lines. hello? shop early!
It was such a blessing this year that we both have jobs with standard holidays off...no worry about working at ALL during the holiday weekend.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home