Sunday, December 16, 2007

Death & Birth

How could I have forgotten to include this on my catch-up of what I've been doing?

Look away if you're squeamish.

I mean it, you've been warned. No bitching if you freak.























100_5070

I've been on the warpath!

Earlier in the fall Squeaky killed two mice.

I sort of shrugged it off because it was very early in the fall that she did this.

But then a little over a week ago, I was making dinner (tuna helper if you must know--sometimes after 8 hours at work and two hours in the car commuting, you don't feel like coming home to cook something nice!) and I noticed what I thought was a bug floating in the milk and water I was heating up.

It's funny because I was fully prepared, if it was a bug, to pull the bug out and keep cooking.

But it wasn't a bug--it was a mouse turd. Barf. I had to scrap the dinner, wash my pot, and start over.

Very annoying. Very disgusting.

Upon further inspection, I found many mouse turds in our cupboard.

So we purchased some traps. I set the first two in the cupboard a week ago Saturday night.

That little guy you saw up there was mouse kill #7 by me. We're averaging one kill a night. Some nights we got nothing, some nights we got two kills.

My handy little spray bottle of watered down ammonia that I used to kill ants with in Texas has become my cupboard disinfecting spray now. It's been fun hosing down after each kill as well as washing every pot or pan that comes out of that cupboard.

I'm thinking about taking the Mouse Slayer title away from Squeaky. I'm kicking her furry ass!

Finally, I'd like to invite you along with me as I design a project.

Just because Christmas knitting is over doesn't mean not-for-me knitting is. Dr. Mad Scientist has a coworker due with a little girl the day before his birthday--March 10.

Now, unlike Miss T., my inspiration process isn't very organized. I came up with this idea in the shower, of course, and went out a few days later and bought a bunch of balls of Sugar n'Cream

100_5071

My plan is to make this coworker one of those cute little hooded towels.

I searched on the internets and The Place That Shall Not Be Named for patterns--but all they had was basically towels with little pockets in the corner for baby's head.

That's NOT what I want.

I'm designing this myself. It will be super easy. I'm basically just knitting a giant rectangle and will then add the hood when I'm done.

I want to embellish said towel to look like a little piggy.

I thought this was a cute idea until Dr. Mad Scientist informed me that his coworker is a Muslim.

Hm...do you think this will be a problem? I mean it's not like the towel is going to look like a ham sandwich.

Oh but damnit, I just Wikipedia-ed the Muslim aversion to pigs and pork and read a big long description about how unclean and unwholesome they view pigs to be.

But maybe that can be cancelled out by the fact that this piggy will be VERY clean since it's a freaking BATH TOWEL.

Anyway, normally I keep the patterns I "design" under wraps til they're done, but I'll let y'all see this one as it emerges.

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

Blogger handknitter said...

What about a pink lamb instead of a pig?

You wouldn't want to start a holy war over a baby gift, would you?

8:53 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Keep up the mouse-slaying, but... what's the landlord doing about the mousies? That's his responsibility. If he seems reluctant, report him.

Maybe Hello Kitty or flowers or somesuch is preferable to pigheadedness.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Mice. They're so damn cute, but so damn evil. The procreate like--well, like bunnies, I guess.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

How can something so cute be so destructive? It gets me every time.

10:45 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh dear. Don't do the pig. They'll be insulted. hoo boy. That sucks because it's a cute idea but yeah, how about a bunny instead? A la Christmas Story. You can put a big ole white pouf on the butt for a tail.

10:49 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Oh boy. That's a hard one.
I would probably nix the pig idea. What else is pink? A flamingo, pink hippo or elephant (not that they are pink but they could be well I guess in that case anything could just be made pink huh?) Good luck (and keep up the great mouse slaying)!!!

11:12 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Thanks for the heads up about the freak out pic! I was able to scroll quickly and avert my eyes, 'cause that's just not what a girl wants to see right after breakfast.

Well, knitted and ultra clean or not, I'd guess pig is not a good idea. Bunny or kitty would be super cute, though!

11:49 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

The towel idea is very cute. I'd vote for Pink Bunny from Christmas Story!

12:07 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

What about a pink bear? Its not too hard to turn a pig into a bear, it would only require changing the nose. :)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Nell said...

I think the pig is OK. Just don't make them eat the towel!

Nice job on the mouse control. They're cute but gross.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I am a much better mouser than my cats. Because of the area we live in, railroad tracks and lots of open spaces, there are lots of mice. I, too, wash pots and pans and spray with amonia spray but we are winning. They go away for a while but always come back. I wouldn't mind them if they weren't so damned incontinent.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good going on the mice slayings!! As for the baby gift...I vote for a pink bunny. But darn that pig would have been cute!! Love, Mom

2:25 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

When it comes to mice in the house, I show no mercy either. Thankfully I haven't seen any here.

Don't do the pig. I think a bunny would be better. Nobody is offended by bunnies, right?

3:44 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I'm really liking the pink bunny idea. Expecially as you don't know how orthodox they are and how offended they might be. I mean, well, it would suck if they never used the gift.

There must be mousey nest under your house somewhere. You might want to check where they are coming in from and board up the holes.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous bufanditas said...

What a cute little rodent. Too bad they have the bad habit of leaving their disgusting little trophies all over the cupboard.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

Oooo, that's a fat little mouse! Sort of cute, but unsanitary.
Good luck getting them out of there!

6:02 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Am I the only one disappointed with the mouse photo? I was expecting something more gruesome.

And if you want it to REALLY be about death and birth--knit a mouse towel.

-T.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

We removed about 5 mice from our house this fall. I think they knew it was going to be an unusually snowy winter for Wisconsin.

I have to say, don't give them a pig towel. Dr.MS has to work with them and they might take it as an intentional slight.

As for the hood shaping, I wonder if you start with a free pattern for a hood/scarf kind of unit and make the towel instead of the scarf?

But not a pig.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

If you're killing that many mice, you might want to get a terminator. We have one down here who rides around in a VW bug with mice ears and tail on it!!!

Another vote for a bunny. Definitely not the pig.
:-)

4:26 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Well how would the mice like it if y'all went potty in their house? Good scoring unless of course, they offer to start paying some bills. Maybe a pink bear?

5:43 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Mouse poos are so gross. Go splurge on a thing of mint, they hate that stuff for some reason. You could try sprinkling the dried version in the cabinets and see if it helps keep them away. Good luck.

Not sure about the pig thing. I think it is incredibly cute and would have loved one but I am not a pork-averse person. I wonder what other animal is that peachy color. It's not too late to just make a blanket!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

And I was with T. I was expecting an after shot of the mouse ;-)

7:40 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I'm dealing with a mouse problem too. Last night, my hubby and I heard scratching sounds in my kid's playroom. There isn't any way to get in or out of there other than the door, so the mouse critter was stuck there all night, as we need to buy a trap.

My kid has an aversion to squirrels, so I told her maybe a squirrel was in there. The look of horror on her face was priceless. I know its wrong, but its so so funny!

Instead of a pig, how about a pink bunny?

7:50 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Yay for dead mice! Bring on the carnage!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

I hate mice, and quite frankly don't find them cute at all. Off with their heads I say!

I would go generic w/ the blanket just because I have a bit of a heart sometimes! ;0)

I love you Bezzie!

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Kay

10:56 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Can't be a pig. How about a pink elephant?

Death to the turd rats!

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home