Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Is that a toddler in your lap or are you just happy to see me?

I love my local library. Somewhat.

Aside from their abysmal lack of books that I want to read when I get an itch to read about a certain subject (and no, ILL is not really an option. Remember eating local? What about reading local?)

And I don't really dig their unwritten (at least I don't remember reading it when I signed up for a card) rule of "Only four books per subject."

Despite that stupid rule, I was able to check out (gasp!) four books on knitting last time I went.

I checked out my standard three issues of old Vogue Knitting magazines (someone had them hardbound and available to checkout--I used to hate Vogue Knitting when I had to pay for it, but now I think I like it better than Interweave Knits.)

I also checked out a sweet little gem called McCall's Christmas Knitting and Crochet 1982.

They had some really cute stuff in there--including these little stuffed barnyard animals that you knit the pieces from a chart.

Kind of like cross stitch, they just gave you a graph and you knit to the stitch number of each row. They don't spell out each row for you--they count on the fact that you know how to say BO 2 sts in the beginning or increase a few sts.

Maybe I don't knit enough toys--but I had never seen a pattern written like that.

My favorite section though had to have been the toddler sweater section.

100_5019

That poor set of twins looks soooo happy to be modeling.

I feel for that little one in the knitted jumpsuit. I know it was the early 80's and I was about the size of those kids when this issue came out, but I don't ever remember knitted jumpsuits being the thing.

Then they had the section for their teddy bear sweaters for toddlers.

100_5017

Disturbing. Very disturbing. Why is there a dude in a bear suit holding these kids?

Like you went to see Santa and oops, Santa was off taking a smoke break and instead you had to sit on Buddy Bear's lap and tell him your most secret materialistic dreams.

What I think bothers me the most? The kids seem nonplussed by the whole thing.

Dude, it's a grown man in a bear suit for no other apparant reason than to illustrate that you are wearing a bear sweater!

100_5018

I think he kind of looks like Richard Carpenter.

Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

I just about spit out my coffee laughing at the man in the bear suit!!!

Who thought this was a good idea??

I guess 80's kids like us just got used to strange things...Alf anyone?

7:24 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

He does, too! Now, how many of us who grew up in the 70s and 80s had outfits like that...?

8:13 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

I never had a knitted jumpsuit but I did have a doubleknit one - light pink no less (for Easter) that my mom made me.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I was thinking Steve Garvey (I went to high school with one of his legitimate daughters), but the eyebrows are too thin.

I used to think the 80s only affected the fashion-conscious of the era (the teen agers mostly) but alas, even the young and innocent had to suffer...

9:24 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Oh my gosh....I am dying over the Santa taking a smoke break and man in bear suit taking over....LOL

Bezzie I adore you! Great post!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

I don't know, maybe it's a point of view thing. Kids love people in suits. It's us adults that find it deeply disturbing/stupid.
I love LOVE love looking through old mags of every sort. I used to spend my teenage years up on the magazine floor of ASU's Hayden library just flipping through the bound copies of LIFE and the like. I still love it. I have every New Yorker ever published on CD-ROM.

10:12 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

That bear suite is just on the creepy side I think.

Do you only read knitting stuff? I read a ton of books (usually non knitting) that just get doanted. I'd be happy to send some your way if I knew what you liked to read.

10:31 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Huh, so *that's* why I never got anything I asked for in the 80s. That damn bear was just a ruse!

10:52 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Hahaha! That bear-man is great. How much do you think those kids got paid to model? Probably not enough to pay for their therapy.

-T.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

That is borderline creepy. Okay, maybe not borderline.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, being a parent of children in the 80's, I have to defend...That guy was probably on of the kids' father, uncle, or husband to someone that they knew. As for the bear suit...Well it went with the theme! But now in defence of you all growing up in the 80's if those in the pictures had been my children they would not be smiling or laughing. They would have been screaming/crying their heads off. (I was once told that you were a spoiled brat at 3months cause you reconized a nurse not to be me.) Love, Mom

11:48 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

That would not have creeped me out as much if it wasn't for an old C.S.I episode where a bunch of adults liked to get together to do the wild thing at a convention in their furry animal suits. euwwwwww

5:26 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

~snort~ He probably is Richard!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Aren't old magazines a hoot?

6:28 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Oh, it saddens this librarian to hear you say ILL is not an option. No library can afford to buy every book they want to buy, so ILL (and the amazing network that supports it) was developed to help alleviate that problem. We fight for the right to do ILL - a lot of publishers would rather we didn't, because apparently they believe that, without ILL, money to buy all the books would somehow be available....

8:21 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

Oh man, those unhappy kids are cracking me up. Why would they even publish those pictures? Haha! Good point about the bear-suit man. I probably wouldn't have thought much about it, but you're right..totally random. Haha!

8:36 PM  
Blogger JRS said...

Holy crap, that's scary.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

The Bear Suit dude reminds me of those mohair fetishists that get held up to public ridicule every couple of months on knitting forums everywhere. Only this one is the fuzzy fetishist/pedophile. Even worse.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Dude... I'd sit on that bear's lap. ;)

12:39 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

The bear guy is more than a little scary/weird. Today, they probably wouldn't even have normally dressed adult males pose with children let alone adult males in bear suits. Oh, those wacky 80's.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Creepy!

My mother had a jumpsuit, but it wasn't a hand knit jumpsuit. And... what's with the bear costume? I don't get it either.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm not sure that the bear is any scarier than Boy George or his twin, Madonna.

I don't know, but a knit jumpsuit looks like it would be very heavy and bulky to wear. Even if my poor kids had had one of them, I'm not sure I could have gotten them to put it on ... maybe for pictures, but that would be it.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home