Monday, December 10, 2007

I've Got Big Balls

Date balls that is.

It's Christmas Cookie Countdown Monday!

And it's also the 'rents 30th wedding anniversary today. 30 years seems like such a long time to be married. But of course for us half bastards that had the honor of attending the ceremony in-utero, 30 years doesn't really seem all that long (read: old) now does it?

In quasi honor of that, I present you with my mom's recipe for Date Balls. She only ever made us these at Christmas.

Date Balls

1/2 lb. package of dates (the squishy kind, not the rock hard dried kind), finely cut
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
7 oz. package of shredded sweetened coconut
3 cups of rice krispies

Cook the dates, eggs, sugar and butter over medium heat until thick. Turn off the heat.

Add the teaspoon of vanilla and then the 3 cups of rice krispies.

Let the mixture cool enough until it's comfortable to handle.

It should look a little something like this:
100_5045

Next, either spoon or just grab a lump o'date mixture and put it in a bowl of coconut.

I used a cookie scoop. I like my balls to be of uniform shape. Nothing worse than misshapen balls.

100_5046

Roll the mixture in the coconut and form it into a ball.

Set it onto a cookie sheet and refridgerate to firm.

Eat, enjoy, repeat.

100_5047

Weirdly enough--the recipe says it yields 20 balls, but I got 30 balls--one for each year of the 'rents marriage. Cosmic man.

Labels:

24 Comments:

Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Nice balls! ;) Thanks for the recipe!

5:52 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Those date balls looks so good!

I'm also a half bastard and attended my paren't shotgun wedding in utero. Its an easy way for me to remember how long they've been married...the same age I'll be 2 months after their anniversary! LOL

7:13 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I like your title .... Hmm? Do we have a closet metal head?

Thanks for the recipe. They sound quite yummy ;).

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some sweet looking balls you have there missy! :)

You crack me up!

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this is Kay by the way....

7:54 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

You have balls. I like balls.~ Trey Parker as a Dirkadirkastani terrorist.


30 years is a long f***ing time to be married, to the same person! I don't know how they've done it! They must own an 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' on and off switch.
Congratulations BezParents!

Pearls are the traditional gift for a 30th BezDad! hint hint

10:12 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Well of course you squeezed more balls than what's normally called for! ;)

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wishes! Thirty years does not seem like that long. Oh! How I love those date balls!!! I will have to try them this year with splenda. And by the way they are your Grandma and Chunkie's Grandma Great recipe. She only made then during Christmas time so I just continued. Love, Mom

11:19 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

You just wanted to see how many times you could say balls in this post didn't you?! hehehehe

Yummy balls :)

12:20 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

could eat those balls up!
happy anniversary to your parents, it sure was nice of you to force them down the aisle like that :)

1:00 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Those look good and the coconut makes them look like they are covered in snow. Perfect for the season.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

That looks yummy... much better than the 4-day old sugar cookie I had for dessert tonight.

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm.

Let's see, two years ago, my "rents celebrated 50. And last year, hubby and I celebrated 25.

Does this make me old?

8:32 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehehe, I was a honeymoon baby! Great balls o'dates! Thanks for the tried and true recipe!

9:23 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

Your mom and I have something in common ;-)

Congrats to them on making it 30 years. This Friday we make 5 years (and DS#1 makes 5 yrs next July).

I may try these balls - I love coconut. And dates. Thanks for the recipe

9:54 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Happy Anni to the "rents"! Your balls do look awfully good! Ummm that didnt come out sounding too well. Should have made and brought some to "K's" yesterday. Great to meet you BTW.

Off to make my "Wings" now ;)

10:51 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

mmmmm.... anything with dates & coconut sounds good to me!!

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I've never had dates, I think. Something to think about.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

"I noticed your balls are a little misshapen."
"Yes, well that's all part of the Shwedy Ball Family recipe."

When I was little I remember I didn't like date balls. Mom made them for the first time in a while for Christmas last year. I probably ate more than my fair share...mmmmmMMMmmmm!

3:16 PM  
Blogger merry said...

That is a really pretty ball! ;)

Thank you for the recipe Bezzie!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Missy the Garden Freak said...

i never thought i'd laugh so hard when talking about ballz... then again, i am always laughing when i am on your blog...

7:32 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yum.

I love dates.

I have a kick ass grandma's date cookie recipe...hmmm.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yum! I like these cookie countdowns of yours. I need to work less and read blogs more.
Your balls are purty ma'am

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home