Monday, December 03, 2007

M'cookies!

Buffy geeks will get the title reference today.

But today is Christmas Cookie Countdown and all about...

German Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups oatmeal
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup flake coconut
1 cup chocolate chips

Cream the butter, sugars, eggs and cocoa powder together.

Add the dry stuff. Smoosh until combined. Roll into balls.

Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

This recipe is sort of from The Great American Cookie Book. However, it was obvious that the authors were recieving kickbacks from Crisco because it called for butter flavored Crisco. It also called for a couple of ounces of melted German Chocolate, but cocoa works just as well.

100_5022

They sort of taste like baked no-bake cookies. Very yummy.

So after I was able to see my breath just sitting here in the unheated apartment yesterday, I caved and turned on the heat. Honestly though, I think the weekends are the only days we'll turn it on. We're not here enough on the weekdays to make it worthwhile.

Lovely old fashioned radiator heat takes forever to actually kick in, so if we turned it on at 6:30 p.m. (or later) when we get home at night, it would be reaching peak coziness around the time we would be going to bed. What a waste.

I was able to pay for the first 30 seconds of gas yesterday when I turned on the heat though!

Remember my contaminated pot pie? I paid 99 cents for it.

I received my check on Saturday.

100_5023

$1.06--woo hoo! I made a profit! We'll call the 41 cents it cost me to mail the label and them to mail the check (although they probably got bulk-mail rates) a wash as I enjoy my seven cent windfall!

ETA: The recipe calls for 3 cups of oatmeal, not 2. Oops! Some paper pusher I am huh?

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Connie said...

Those cookies look delicious! I can't believe you aren't running your heat yet! Of course, I am in Minnesota but I have been wearing wool socks around the house for months now - we even pulled out the down comfortor!

6:46 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

The cookies sound fantastic. I do think it's smart to leave the heat down during the day...I do need a wee bit at night though. Do you use electric blankets? Glad you kept warm!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Those look so good!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

I wonder how much it cost them to send out all those little checks. Possibly more than it would have cost to not contaminate the pot pies in the first place. :o)

9:37 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Okay, I want cookies now.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an excellent picture of the cookies. Thanks for the recipe. I will make those!!

Kay

10:28 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Oh my gg, temp me not with your cookies.

What "Miss T" said about your check.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! such a windfall!!! And to have to spend it on heat!:( I am going to try those cookies with splenda they look really good. Love, Mom

11:46 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Seven whole cents, wow! That's certainly equitable compensation for almost giving you e. coli.

12:15 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Those look almost delicious enough for me to call in sick to work and stay home and bake!! But I know that just won't work. Yummy yummy!

12:30 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

M'yum! those sound great.

Gosh, a whole 7 cents! It probably costs a whole lot more for the banks to even process that check than the face value is worth!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'd say turn on the heat and set to about 55, so it won't run too too much but you won't be seeing your breath either.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

M'Fasnik! (or however you spell that demon's name) Love Buffy references!

2:56 PM  
Blogger funfairiegirl said...

I love those cookies!!!!

I had them come and turn on the heat today finally. I have gas heat and that is the only think gas runs, so I had it turned off thinking I was moving this summer. It was really cold for this FL girl this weekend. I would have held off until next week, but I am going out of town and I don't want the cats to freeze while I am gone. As it is, I think Eva may have a cold - she has been randomly sneezy.

3:38 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I wish I had your tolerance for the cold! I have my heater on set temps...but during the day it rarely kicks in.

4:21 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

I could go for some cookies right now.

-T.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I may have to try those cookies. Your going to be responsible if I gain any of my weight back!

Our heat has been on. Our house is horrible. We did some extra insulating and that has helped. I wear my fake ugg boots around the house and I warm my bed with an electric blanket so when I get into bed...mmmmmmmmm.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home