Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas!

The last day of Christmas Cookie Countdown!

This one is from my reprint of the 1963 Betty Crocker Cooky Book.

Love toffee but don't have the teeth or candy-making skills for it? This is a great substitute. It's one of my faves.

Toffee Squares

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 a 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips
Chopped nuts (optional)

Cream your butter and sugar together. Add the egg, vanilla and flour next.

You should have a big old ball of what feels like cookie dough.

Plop it into a 9"x9" greased pan.

100_5075

Push and spread it down.

100_5076

Bake it for 25 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

It will come out all golden brown.

100_5083

Here's where you have to work fast.

While it's straight out of the oven--dump a bunch of chocolate chips on top. Add more than what's in this picture--trust me.

100_5084

Now put a piece of aluminium foil on top to keep the warmth contained.

100_5085

After about 5 minutes your chocolate chips should be melty enough to spread.

100_5089

Add your nuts...

100_5090

Now here's something else important to do: cut it into squares before the chocolate hardens! After you cut it into squares, refridgerate it and enjoy once the chocolate hardens.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.

Remember to:
100_5141
("Knit, Drink...")

100_5143
("...and Be Merry!")

Glasses possibly coming to an Etsy store near you (once I can figure out how to take a 1/2 way decent picture of etched glass!)

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous nikBudnik said...

I think you made this for us last year for Christmas. I also think I ate the whole container full. Good stuff.
Happy Christmas!

10:51 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Merry Christmas! Thanks for another great recipe. I love the glass!!! Can't wait to see them in the shop!

11:19 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Now I'm not much of a cookie gal, but damn those look good!

Merry Christmas!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good!!! Hummmmmmm....could I use splenda in those? I will have to try them. I did make your one cookie with splenda and everyone ate them up!!! As for taking pics of etched glass try putting something dark in the glass like some lupe. Love, Mom

1:05 PM  
Blogger janna said...

I love those cookies -- I haven't made them in a while, but now I'll have to!

The glass is cool - I'd buy one!

Merry Christmas!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Cindy G said...

Those are the best Christmas cookies ever! Except in the version I use, the chocolate is plain hershey bars.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

yum. sounds so very yummy. And the glass? I want one. I'd like to put one on reserve til I get back from Flahrida. :)

1:57 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I believe my Mom has the 1963 version! Those cookies look yum!

And the glasses? Put me down for a set of 8.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

the glasses are toooooo funny!

3:48 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

That's an interesting recipe - I'll have to try it because I have the suckiest candy-making skills.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Just thinking out loud about photographing the etched glass...

Maybe put it on the windowsill and fill it with liquid. Not a carbonated one, but maybe apple juice or grape juice? Have Chunky or Dr. MS hold a flashlight obliquely if you need additional light, rather than using the flash on your camera.

Cool idea. I bet they'll do well.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Those look really good!! Love your glassware too! Hope you guys are having a great day! :)

11:14 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Merry Christmas!
yummy cookies :)

11:48 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Toffee squares...yummy!! Hope you all are enjoying your Christmas!!

And I LOVE the glasses!!

4:25 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Hmmm...reading this post I came to the realization that very soon I will have a place where I can not only make such cookies, but also use real glasses and store them in a cupboard. (Now, I'd store them in either a rubbermaid tub or my car trunk. haha!)

-T.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I'm gaining weight just reading! Hope it was great and the glasses are just too cool!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Yum, that looks so good!

Love the glass too!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

I'm thinking what BezMom is thinking: Too much sugar, but boy it looketh tasty.
I'm about to give up sugar to try and avoid the familial type 2 diabetes. I don't know if I can. I don't eat artificial sweeteners either.
Oh yeah, and a lot of the fat has to go too. ;( Ah well.
There are so many boozing knittyheads that I think you've got a winner there. Listen to Elizabeth to show them at their best. Good luck.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I hope you enjoyed a great Christmas!!

Love the glass and those squares look so good. Too bad I am back on track as of today ~sigh~

11:41 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Yuuuum!

Just because it's Christmas doesn't mean you have to stop the cookies!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I made the chocolate covered cherry cookies and they were a huge hit. They may become a permenant part of the holiday baking. I hope you all had a happy day.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home