Thursday, December 27, 2007

Present Wrap Up

I can finally show off some of the stuff I made for Christmas presents!

First up, the glasses I made for my Oldest Younger Brother and his wife:

100_5049

100_5053

Actually these were more for my husband's wife who is always giving me shit about drinking Coke Zero with my rum and coke. Dude, it tastes just like Coke but with no calories!

The "acid" kind of dripped on my brother's glass, but I liked the striped it made under his name, so I left it.

Next up is a simple hat I made for my Old Man.

100_4969

A simple hat made out of Lion Brand Homespun.

There's a story behind this hat though.

It must have been a little after my sister T. taught me to knit that I decided to make a hat. The only problem was I didn't know how to decrease, knit in the round or even purl.

The resulting "hat" was basically a giant gray garter stitch rectangle with a red stripe that I sewed up one side and didn't bind off--I just gathered the stitches to close it up.

Dear lord it was ugly!

But my Old Man loved it and wore it every winter.

Somewhere along the line it got lost.

He mentioned earlier this winter he sure did love that hat, and when Older Younger Brother's wife sent me a couple of clumps of gray and red Lion Brand Homespun, I went ahead and made a nice re-creation of that funky garter stitch hat from about 15 years ago.

The Old Man says he likes it, but he still misses that funky ugly garter stitch number. He liked the amateur feel it had! Ha ha!

As for received presents, I didn't get anything knitting related from Dr. Mad Scientist and Chunky, but I did get four pounds of cheese from The Dairy Store, Annie on DVD (the ONLY musical I can watch without a barf-bag), my normal year and a half supply of shower gels, and one of my fave presents yet--a SLED!

I have a sled that's all my own! No more sharing with Chunky! WOO!

Now if it would just freaking snow!!!

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

Blogger Macoco said...

Those glasses are so neat - what a great gift to make someone. I hope you get some snow soon so you can use the sled. ;)

7:15 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

One's own sled is a very important gift, if you ask me. Sounds like a great Christmas!
I wish I could send ya some snow, but we don't have any, either. Phhhhbbt.

~ theotheramanda

7:43 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

No snow! No wishing for snow just before I head back!! :)

Those glasses are awesome.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I've never ridden on a sled. But snow is bad. Bad snow. Snow = bad. I don't like to shovel. We can make a deal though. I'll wish for snow in NJ as long as there is no snow in NY. Yeah?

Love the glasses!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

I have been wanting to try etching glass. One of these days.....

:)

Have a wonderful 2008 Kaye!

Kay

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those glasses are really neat! I am going to have to try that etching thing. I have some but reading the label it scared me off. Oh! Yeah! The Old Man is wearing that hat 24/7... He keeps the heat low in the house just so that he can wear it. Love, Mom

10:17 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Yah, when I called home on Christmas, The Old Man reported he was wearing your hat.

Nice glasses. Did you freestyle that typeface?

And, what kind of sled did you get? Is it a plastic one or a ol' fashioned wooden one with metal runners?

-T.

10:21 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Let's see the sled! Does it have those red runners in front that lure you into a false sense of security by proposing that they steer when all they really do is look pretty?

LOL on the hat story!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I wish it would snow as well... although the bright sunny Christmas morning was nice.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Amysatx said...

Wow! 4 pounds of cheese! Now that's MY kind of gift! Maybe I'll have to order some myself to check it out!!

11:08 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Come visit me in Iowa -- we have plenty of snow! (Although right now I'm in San Antonio, where snow would just be scary....)

11:09 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

4 pound of cheese! My favorite food.

Knowing you own an Annie DVD puts you in a whole new (still adoring) light for me.

The snow will come out to-morrow!

11:38 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

You know you're just tempting the weather gods probably, asking for snow :) I hope you get some soon so you can enjoy the sled. For now, enjoy the yummy cheese!!

Love the glasses and the hat!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Maybe you could make him a hat and drop a couple of stitches "accidentally on purpose", increase and decrease randomly and let him have that "amateur" feel....I mean, if he likes it....

1:12 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Sounds like a good Christmas to me! The glasses are really nice and the story about your dad's hat is way cool. Dads know how to melt the hearts of their daughters;)

1:24 PM  
Blogger Brena said...

Awesome glasses! I would love 4 lbs of cheese and yay for not sharing!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

4 lbs of cheese! Was this in your stocking? ;)

The gifties all look marvelous.

4:08 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Very cool! I lvoe the glasses.

The hat is perfect. I love that you replace the lost one.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous gene said...

Hey! Thanks a lot for the glasses! They are awesome and I was really impressed. You can ask Nik, I think I asked her several times, "How did Kaye do this?" Finally, Nik told me to shut up. She spared the slap this time.
I'm thinking about breaking into the eggnog we never opened up and having some...in my new glass!
Thanks!
Oh, BTW, you and the MS aren't supposed to use the gift we got you without clothes and Chunky. NO NAKED TWISTER!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

ROSEBUD!

Ahem. Sorry, couldn't help it.

The glasses are neat. And how could one not love a person who likes the amateur feel of a garment? No pressure Christmas knitting, oh, the bliss!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Snow!? I got yer snow! A foot of it on the front lawn, and more of it coming down as I type!

Ha! And a snowplow just drove by .... How's that for timing :)?

Love the etched glasses. That is so cool! I have some of that glass etching stuff. I really should look at my stash of cool gift-making crap and get busy, eh?

Very cool that you got a sled. I do hope you get some snow soon so that you can enjoy it. Barring that, you're not so far away from snow, if you really want to sled ... and feel like driving ;).

10:58 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I didn't replace my car stereo for about a year after it was stolen. I got very bored in the car... I did a lot of singing to entertain myself. The problem? The only songs I know by heart are patriotic ones.... and the Annie soundtrack!

I can't even tell you how many times I sang "The sun'll come out tomorrow!" while driving around town. =P Enjoy your DVD.... and your SLED!!!!

I'm telling you - February 10th... you'll get to use it.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

as a woman who has gone sledding at 11 pm just to get the sled all to myself, I am overjoyed with your gift!

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Necia said...

Ok you astound me woman! I need more details on those glasses you made. Like, what the? And how? Btw, great job!

10:28 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

very cool gifts. Those glasses are the s%^&.

And a sled! you did well, young lady :)

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home