Tuesday, January 29, 2008

America! America!!!

America! Eff yeah!!

Welcome to my politika knitting post wherein I mix politics with knitting.

Let me tell you a story.

It starts with a young girl.

She's somewhat new to the Lansing area and is sleeping with this really hot graduate student attending Michigan State University (let's pretend they're not married like they are, it makes it sound sexier if they're not...).

The young girl takes a job at a law firm we will call Scheister, Shafter, Conniver & Dodge, P.C. (don't take the name personal SSC&D, P.C.--I just don't want everyone to know where I worked) so she can support the super sexy grad student--for what he reaps in good looks, he does not in salary.

After about two years of working there, or maybe it was three, or maybe it was one...who really cares...the young girl meets the law clerk just hired named Barb.

Barb has big dreams. She wants to get her law degree and run for a seat on the Michigan State House of Representatives.

The young girl finds this fascinating as Barb is only a few months older than herself.

The two become friends and keep in touch as Barb later successfully runs for and wins a seat in the Michigan State House of Representatives and the young girl follows her sexy graduate around the country with the sweet beautiful child she bore him in tow.

Then, one Christmas, many years later after the young girl and Barb have parted, the now not-so-young-girl receives a birth announcement in the mail.

Barb and her husband have had a little boy.

The not-so-young-girl having been a student of the grandmotherly art of knitting for a few years, embarks upon a quest to find the perfect knitted baby gift for Barb's newborn son.

She trys that dump they speak of called "Ravelry" for the perfect pattern.

Nada.

She resorts to plain old googling.

Zilch.

Then, one day, she's reading a blog. A blog about another student--but this time a student who is a bunny shepherdess (for we all know bunnies are more comfortable in herds--ok, I can't back that up, I know nothing of rabbits).

This purveyor of all that bunniferous has posted an entry on her blog highlighting the cutest little barnyard Amigurumi animals she has recently knit.

The not-so-young-girl, intrigued by the felted teats on a very cute little Amigurumi cow, follows the link to where the Lady of the Lepus has purchased her pattern.

Behold!

The perfect pattern the not-so-young-girl does spy for her friend's new baby!

The Born in a Barn Donkey Amigurimi!

100_5338

100_5340

Nothing says "I'm a little Democrat!" like a mini felted donkey doll!!!

Pattern: Born In a Barn Donkey by Crafty Alien

Yarn: 100% non-superwash wool for felting

Needles: US 10--straight.

Notes: While has got to be one of the damn cutest things I have ever knit, it was a royal pain in the ass (pun totally intended).

100_5339

First up, the pattern has you picking up stitches--on straight needles--around a teeny tiny little piece of knitting to the point where you're basically knitting in the round--you're just not connecting the rounds.

Second, the pattern was wrong. It skipped Row 14 on the head instructions all together. If I had followed the pattern as written, not realizing that Row 14 was missing, I would ended up with a ridge of purled knitting that should have been smooth stockinette. Now I know that felting hides mistakes, but that would have been hard to hide. I emailed the designer this information. I guess unless you buy the pattern from here on out, we'll never really know if she makes the change or not.

Overall, it reminded me as to why I don't publish patterns. My own personal patterns are a lot like this one. Complicated when they don't need to be.

That's why this fact, combined with the error, makes me think this isn't the best pattern for a beginner knitter looking to branch out.

But it's a damn cute donkey and I love it. And I know Barb will love it too.

They say career politicians are slimy bastards, but honest to god, I have never met a politician as genuine as Barb. She doesn't give off that phoney vibe you get from politicians who can seem like they're just spoon feeding you what you want to hear.

Plus it helps that I'm a democrat too, hee hee.

I'll leave y'all with a picture of me modeling my hat--again. Believe it or not, that post from yesterday was the hat on my head.

True to form though, I can't show my face when bandwagon knitting. I did it with Ice Queen, and I'll do it here. Hee hee!

100_5341


Viva!

Labels:

26 Comments:

Blogger sgeddes said...

Damn! That is cute. She'll love it!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

First let me say, I'm a "no party" registrant in my state. A committed anti-idolog, but I couldn't help thinking a very snarky comment connecting you as a Democrat wearing a bandit's bandana......

Ba da dum.....

I'll stop there...

8:17 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Awesome donkey! I think she'll really appreciate it. :) Okay, I love the backdrop for the donkey photos. It reminds me of the year we picked the "laser" background for our class photos.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

That's one hot ass you have there! Heeee-haw!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

That donkey is too cute!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! That donkey is soooooooo cute!!! Your friend will LOVE it! I, personally like your backdrop and bandana. Love, Mom

10:22 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Still loving the hat!! And the donkey is just too cute for words!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Aww, very cute! And the little donkey is adorable ;-) Haha HAhaha you bandwagon knittedddd

12:33 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Cute ass. It's reassuring to know there are good people in public service. Will Barb be a delegate at the national convention?

1:28 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That is damn cute. I love it.

Sorry it was a pain in the ass, and yep, that's why I wouldn't sell patterns either :).

Barb sounds like a cool woman!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

awwwww, so cute!! but that photo with the scarft, the unidentified knitting bandwagoneer, is disturbing! you are a rainbow terrorist in a fine hand knit hat!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Deleted the comment because I decided my joke was not apropos for someone else's blog.

Nice ass.

5:00 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Nice ass.

-T.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Its adorable!! (even if you are a democrat, LOL).

5:27 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I am having trouble with the obama bandwagon, too. I'm glad I don't have to make a decision yet. The donkey is cute. A friend like that deserves all the trouble. It's heartening to hear of a good politician. I know they're out there, it's just that the not-so-good ones get all the press.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Gangsta democrat! with a nifty hat! Hey, I made a rhyme...

7:20 PM  
Blogger janna said...

The donkey is adorable! I may need to make one for every member of my almost-entirely-Democrat family (except for my brother in law, who we're working on....)

9:36 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

How utterly cute! It's just the right shape for baby hugs.

Okay, so your pic with the "viva" totally took me back to the Chiapas fighter guys when they would talk to the cameras with their bandannas on...

So rock on comandante Zapata!

12:01 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Love the donkey - does it have a rattle inside?

6:48 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

That is too freakin cute!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Linnea said...

1) Totally darling ass.

2) The scarf says "sophisticate-dem" to me (in a good way, and this coming from someone who identifies herself as belonging to one of those *weird* parties)

27) I totally want to be a bunny-herder now.

11:21 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Hey, I just gave you a "You Make My Day" award! Don't worry -- no bandwagon obligation! ;-
(And the word verification is oobur, which must be swearing in some language...)

8:18 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe! Cute lil' Donkey! Hat looks good..in cognito!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

It amazes me how you always come up with the perfect pattern. It's totally adorable.

10:27 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I'm so very far behind on blogs it seems. I'm just now seeing this. THe Donkey is freakin cute! And funny! But the cap looks great on you! Even with the bandana hiding your face, silly. =P

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home