Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Beast Doesn't Include Selling Out

If you're a knitter, more than likely you're familiar with Knitty.

If you're not a knitter, well then, you're more than likely not familiar with Knitty.

Knitty published their "surprise" patterns today.

Now, this isn't going to be a "Knitty sucks!" "Let's hate Knitty!" "DEATH TO CAPITALISM!" or "Jesus Haploid Christ, these patterns suck for reasons I can't back up but I'm going to bitch about them anyway!" post.

No, this is just an observation of something in these surprises that made me laugh.

First up is the pattern called Bell curve. It's a skirt knit from a bajillion yards of Artfibers Zoe yarn.

Now if you scroll down, you'll read that the designer is a store manager for Artfibers in San Francisco.

Hmmm...

nuprin

Second pattern isn't as obvious. It's the Modern lace henley designed by Pam Allen.

Now most knitters will know that (not all, and non-knitters probably won't know this), Pam Allen is the old editor-in-chief of Interweave Knits.

In her blurb about the Modern lace henley she talks about shaping lace. She informs the knitter that "For an excellent discussion of just how to do this, see Eunny Jang’s article in the Summer 2007 issue of Knits magazine."

Huh, that's weird.

wayne 2

Today in my email box was an advertisement for Interweave Knit's big Back-Issue Sale of their magazines.

If you really wanted to take it further you could say the third surprise, a hat called Bloody Stupid Johnson, is a walking ad for Terry Pratchett novels. But I kind of think of it more as fan-fic for knitters. Fan-nit perhaps?

Now, this isn't a hatefest of people that have to schill their products or support their companies to make a living. These designers are livin' the dream and feeding their families or goldfish too...and if it means selling out a bit, so be it.

I'm merely pointing out what I find to be an amusing set of assuredly subtle coincidences in these patterns.

garth

And if you couldn't tell by now, it just totally brought me back to one of my fave movies of all time: Wayne's World.


**********

Benjamin: Wayne! Listen, we need to have a talk about Vanderhoff. The fact is he's the sponsor and you signed a contract guaranteeing him certain concessions, one of them being a spot on the show.

Wayne Campbell: [holding a Pizza Hut box] Well that's where I see things just a little differently. Contract or no, I will not bow to any sponsor.

Benjamin: I'm sorry you feel that way, but basically it's the nature of the beast.

Wayne Campbell: [holding a bag of Doritos] Maybe I'm wrong on this one, but for me, the beast doesn't include selling out. Garth, you know what I'm talking about, right?

Garth Algar: [wearing Reebok wardrobe] It's like people only do these things because they can get paid. And that's just really sad.

Wayne Campbell: I can't talk about it anymore; it's giving me a headache.
Garth Algar: Here, take two of these!

[Dumps two Nuprin pills into Wayne's hand]

Wayne Campbell: Ah, Nuprin. Little. Yellow. Different.

Benjamin: Look, you can stay here in the big leagues and play by the rules, or you can go back to the farm club in Aurora. It's your choice.

Wayne Campbell: [holding a can of Pepsi] Yes, and it's the choice of a new generation.
**********
This post was brought to you today by Random Meanderthings, your one stop shop for all things knit-related. Random Meanderthings is a subsidiary of the conglomerate group KayeBugs Enterprises that has been bringing you fine stores like K-Bud Mart where you can purchase such quality items as Canned Elephant Meat (TM) and many more.

Labels:

33 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I love you. You crack me up.

7:06 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

(i noticed the artyarn plug, too)

7:17 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Very astute observations! Now, if only more peope actually paid attention to the world around them!

7:29 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Man, I love that movie. And I love shopping at KBud Mart. It's too bad there aren't any in Cincinnati.

Here's my two cents, 'cause I've studied marketing and branding and such:

Some product placement, pushing IS selling out. No reason for it other than the bottom dollar. Some product placement, pushing, (coincident, or not's?) is SMART branding. Aligning two brands/products can develop them and make 'em stronger, recognizable, and, of course, sell. Like American Eagle shoes in Payless stores: makes Payless more appealing to a younger crowd and American Eagle gets more exposure at the "inexpensive and trendy" level. Smart.

-T.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

You'd make one hellava lawyer! Or better yet, Judge RK Bezzie~NOthing escapes her!

8:00 PM  
Anonymous larissa said...

That is a great movie. And I might also point out that Pam Allen works for Classic Elite, and so of course that is the yarn called for in the Henley. It looks like nice yarn, the color is great. I'm just sayin.

Of course there are good explanations for this phenomenon. As a designer who works for a yarn co., that company's yarn would be the most familiar, you'd probably see it alot and get inspired by it, and also have free access to it.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Best....movie....EVER!!!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

Your attention to detail is staggering.

I'm convinced you could take over the world if you really put your mind to it...

9:08 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Little, yellow, new, different, better...

If memory serves, that whole sequence mimics the Nuprin commercials of the time...but now I'm curious, is it still around???

Good eye. In the world of "free" online mags though, it's also a way of making the mag possible.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

We fear change.

11:38 PM  
Blogger peri said...

Funny post - brilliant.

3:35 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Interesting post! Makes one think! :) or not ;)

5:11 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I had no idea what Knitty is so thanks for explaining. I must say your Wayne's World reference with pictures had me dying!!!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

I didn't know the 'prises were up. The skirt is pretty...on a really skinny person ;p

You make me proud!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

I always forget to look for the surprises. You've got a sharp eye.

Wayne's World rocks.

7:57 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

hmmmm, and a certain knitty editor has a column in every issue of IK too. Makes you wonder.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Hm. Didn't you comment that town hall meetings are too much like work? I may be mistaken, but that kinda sounds like a version of "not unless you pay me for it."

9:15 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

I did say that Ina. And yes, I supposed you could interpret it as "yes, if you're willing to pay me" and no, I have no problem with my words be interpreted that way. I also said that there's nothing wrong selling out a bit.

I found all of these coincidences amusing. That's all.

But you bring a valid point up. I think I'm struggling with my writing. I must not be getting my intent across clearly.

Maybe it's time for a break/end.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I always forget to go and look for the surprises. Knitted skirts are so hard. You have to be very thin. Product placement is a delicate issue and can be well done or done like a sledgehammer. Having a designer use her own yarn seems like a no brainer but I would think that as a public service, you should offer suggestions for other yarns. And you are perfectly clear. I have no problems understanding what you mean. I'm not sure if that says something about you or me!

10:50 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i see what you mean, but the great thing about knitting things yourself is that you don't have to use the suggested yarn if you don't wanna. i actually rather like the skirt and i love the hat. the lace top reminds me too much of the Henley Perfected in winter IK.

and judging by how much the skirt yarn evidently costs ($100+) i think many people will sub.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahaha!!! I quilt using a Q-Snap frame....Yes they are nice and they do their jobs but the old fashion wood round ones work just as good...but when I worked at that certain place I was trying to sell these things to customers. It was my job!! It helped convince the customer to buy the product....thus kept me in a job!!! But now I use what ever hoop is the most convenient....If I am quilting in the Girls Room I use the Q-snap floor hoop, if I am quilting in my sewing room I use one of my wooden hoops.
Oh! Thanks for the memories I need to watch "WW" and "WW2" again. Love, Mom

12:06 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

You crack me up! But don't even think about "break/end" - we won't accept it!!!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Well, like they say, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Or a free knitty.

12:51 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Very interesting observation! Me, I just notice the patterns. Sometimes oblivion is bliss.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

You sell out, you get paid. "I got $5,0000! I got $5,000. I got $5,000."
I love Wayne's World.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That whole scene in Wayne's World cracks me up. Does Nuprin still exist? Every time I see a Pacer I laugh out loud.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I knew there was something missing from my list!

3:31 PM  
Blogger ericah64 said...

Snork! I noticed that about Artfibers, too. Then again, that would be the yarn she'd have the easiest access to (and probably an employee discount, eh?).

You rock, Bezzie! [Erica gets on her knees & bows] We're not worthy! We're not worthy! We're scum!

BTW, I've taught my daughters to head-bang when "Bohemian Rhapsody" comes on the radio....

6:54 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

That lace Henley did, in fact, remind me of something I'd seen in a certain knitting magazine not long ago... I actually thought it was the same sweater until I thought of copyright and decided otherwise.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Okay, I'm totally not going to respond to the Knitty stuff...I agree, 'nuff said.

BUT, I love Wayne's World!! We just bought the 2 DVD set of both movies. Rock on!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

I think I may have unintentionally hurt your feelings; if so, I apologize. Perhaps it's I who needs to work on clarity of written expression.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I was just looking at that Artfibers skirt and the yarn is expensive and difficult to find a substitute for. If you have any ideas, you should publish an update!

5:23 PM  
Blogger nasakat said...

Free cute pattern in exchange for getting to plug their yarn with a reason to buy it. Seems perfectly fair to me and not a sell out.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home