Friday, January 11, 2008

Cleaning Up After Cleaners

At lunch time, I like to go take a quick 20 minute walk around the rich-ass neighborhood located behind my office to pretend that I'm getting some exercise and to eat my peanut butter sandwich in some fresh air (my remaining lunch hour I spend in my car knitting).

Some of the fair weather walker women lap the parking lot.

I find this boring.

Plus I like to fantasize that maybe some paranoid home bound rich person might be watching me each day thinking that I'm casing the neighborhood.

But this isn't where I was going with this.

Yesterday, I was walking out of the parking lot when I spied a postcard on the ground.

A few feet later, the same postcard.

And in another few feet--the same postcard yet again.

You get the picture.

It seems a company came by and did the ever-so-effective "paper each parked car with an advertisement" marketing campaign move.

What company was it? And what were they advertising?

100_5204

Why it was a dry cleaning place a mile down from the office and they were advertising their "Earth Friendly" dry cleaning procedures.

As you can see, I spent most of my 20 minute walk picking up the errant postcards that people had either tossed on the ground or had fallen off when they drove off. (For the record, it was only 1/3rd of the parking lot the cleaner got to--my car was untouched).

Does anyone see the irony in this?

Let's advertise our Earth Friendly cleaning by using an advertisement method that is 99% guaranteed to end up as litter--what a great idea!

How the hell is that helping the earth?

I thought about just picking up the postcards, irately blogging about them, and tossing them in my recycle bin, but I've decided to go a little further.

I'll be mailing these postcards back to the Dry Cleaning Station (located at the corner of Eisenhower Parkway and Eagle Rock Avenue, Roseland, New Jersey if you're interested in never getting your clothes dry cleaned there) with a short note pointing out the irony of their ad campaign.

It may not stop them from this most ridiculous advertising campaign, but it might give them a moment to pause and think about how they're dirtying the landscape by advertising their cleaner cleaning methods. I'm sure if I looked really hard they're probably violating some non-soliciation/littering ordinance as well.

And yes, I realize I'll be adding an extra two ounces to the mail truck which may cause it to get .045% worse gas mileage when I mail these back to the Dry Cleaning Station. I thought about just dropping them off with a note before work, but in this Post-9/11 world a person can't leave a good irate note and packet of battered postcards without getting the authorities called in fear those postcards might be laced with something.

Labels:

26 Comments:

Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

I hate it when people advertise by putting stuff on your car. I also don't like people going door to door leaving stuff in my door or mailbox. I think it's great that you are going to mail them back to the cleaners. I think it will make a strong point.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Doh!

6:57 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Too cool that you are mailing them back! I don't have a car for people to put stuff on, lol, so this is rarely a problem for me.

7:37 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Dude, you're like Kramer and the Putumayo catalogs!

Rock on!

-T.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

That is funny!

7:49 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

they'll probably just send you another one back as a n apology and keep the whole damn mess going!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

You're going to get free dry cleaning offered to you and your point will most likely go unacknowledged maybe even unseen.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

That is ridiculous. Good for you for picking up after the litter-bugs and sending them a message!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

I'm always stunned at how many "earth friendly" campaigns are exactly the opposite.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha!!! I never pictured you as a "Posy Sniffer"!! Oh! better watch it I just got $8.75 for my cans and turned in three months of newspaper, not to mention I take my shopping bags to the library so that they can use them for people to carry out their books when it is snowing. Earth Friendly on Garth!!! Love, Mom

10:45 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Go Bezzie. But don't expect a miracle.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Ah the irony is amusing.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I HATE that too. The irony though is what makes it utter madness.

Heh.

OMG, my word verification is poxgyno.

1:10 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

LOL! Kind of like that big love-the-earth concert that took place this summer. The concert that used how many bazillion gallons of jet fuel flying in the rock stars and how many bazillion watts of electricity making sure you could hear them, all to promote environmental awareness. Ah, irony. ..

1:22 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

~snort~ Get em' Bez!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

You could just leave them on their windshields....

2:16 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Great plan! Makes me wonder just how green they are. It makes me laugh none the less...

2:51 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Stumbling over piles of trash, choking on polluted air and having our skin killed by an increase in ultraviolet radiation.
Thank the stars for "Bezzie - Echo warrior!"

But yes, the mind does boggle when it comes to some false advertising.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Oh man! That is ironic... and also stupid. I like the idea of mailing them back.

When I get junk mail I like to tear up the mail part, put it into someone else's pre-paid envelope and mail it back to them. Yes it's lame, but it's extremely satisfying!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Kill loads of trees to help out the environmentally conscious? Yes, that makes perfect sense!

I want to know who does their marketing so I never, ever go there.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Scary how clueless those people are. You should send that in to your local paper.

Bezz - wanted to make sure you know that Jan 21-27 is National Creative Frugality Week. Thought you might want to start planning for it. (http://www.countingthecost.com/ncfw.htm)

9:19 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I've often thought of gathering all the Real estate crap stuck on my door and sending it to the one who sends me the most.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Laurah said...

I like what donna lee said - just leave them on their cars! That is great what you are doing and it made me laugh.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Oh, fun. Like getting a refund check from the bank for $0.23 and the cost of postage being $0.24. Well, sort of.

We get at least one advertisement in the mailbox per day. Mainly take-out menus. I should start folding them into origami or something...

5:31 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I'm finally catching up on my blogs (only 350 new posts to go!) and wow. That soup recipe sounds good! I love the idea of putting all the stuff together like that the night before into baggies. I can do that! I'm learning to cook. =) Heh. And your gyno - what an idiot. My Doc took the time to talk to me on the phone about it rather than calling me in. Same deal. She was much less doom and gloom about it though. Ice Queen looks pretty! I doubt I'll wear mine much either, but it is a fun knit.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Were they at least printed on recycled paper?

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home