Monday, January 07, 2008

Monday Meanderings

Do you ever visit blogs you really don't like, but a part of you can't get enough of them?

I think of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry secretly watched Melrose Place and denied that he did until his cop-girlfriend gave him a polygraph and he cracked.

I visit a dirty little secret knitting blog like this, and every time I read the comments left for this blogger, my stomach turns.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank youse guys for not being so saccharine and ass-kissing in your comments.

I love that if you don't agree with something I say or if I mis-state something--you call me out on it.

Of course this dirty secret blogger writes pretty bland on-point knitting posts 100% of the time, which probably explains the lack of variety in their comments.

Ok, I've become distracted. I really came here to post about a soup.

Amy from grand old Texas is doing Souper Saturday--i.e. she's vowed to eat more soup.

It just so happened she declared this on our grocery shopping day--the day I handed Dr. Mad Scientist our winter food bible and told him to pick a recipe for dinner this week.

He picked German-Style Potato Soup.

I like to do my crock pot meals on Mondays. I have time Sunday night to prep the ingredients, I don't have to cook on Monday when I get home from work, and I can usually get a week's worth of leftovers to double as lunch for the sexy Dr.

Some might think this saves us money--no it just keeps him from whining about always having to eat PB&J for lunch four days a week (Friday is Seminar Pizza Day at Mt. Sinai).

Anyway, here's the recipe, mainly for Amy, but y'all can enjoy it too.

Brown up some smoked sausage. We decided to Polish up our German style soup with some Polish kielbasa. (Which probably wouldn't fly too well in Germany if what I've heard is true.)

100_5195

Chop up 2 stalks of celery.

100_5197

Chop up a medium sized onion, or in my case, half of a giant onion.

100_5196

Peel and chop 4 medium sized potatoes. Because I love potatoes, I didn't use four mediums, I used five (that meant I had three potatoes left in the bag--perfect for a later dinner side dish of baked taters). I also didn't peel them. I'm lazy, I like to think there's maybe some nutritional value in the skin, and my potato peeler is broken (please reference the first attribute in this list as to why I haven't bought a new one).

100_5198

Bag up your meat, (Hee hee, didn't they teach us that in 5th grade sex ed?) and your veggies separately and toss in the fridge.

100_5199

Next I create my herb bag. In a separate ziplock I put in 1 tablespoon of sugar, some black pepper, and 1/2 a teaspoon of dried mustard. It also calls for 1/4 teaspoon of celery seed but meh, I didn't have that.

The recipe also calls for 4 cups of beef broth.

As you can see in my herb baggie--

100_5200

I smashed up three beef bouillon cubes. (One bouillon cube + one cup of water = 1 cup of beef broth). I wanted to go a little light on the salt, so I only used three beef bouillon cubes instead of four. I'll add 4 cups of water in the morning, and we can salt to taste if it's too bland.

In the morning, what I do is empty all of my meat, veggie and herb bags into the crock pot and then add the aforementioned 4 cups of water (or 4 cups of broth if you're feeling fancy!), and 2 tablespoons of vinegar.

I mix it all around a bit and then set it for Low and 8 hours.

When I get home, I'm supposed to mix in 2 cups of coleslaw (shredded cabbage and carrots) and cook it for another 30 minutes.

Truth be told, it will be more like 10 hours it cooks for and I'll add the coleslaw and let it cook for as long as it takes me to pull out my ladle and three bowls when I get home.

We haven't had this soup in a while, but if our notes in the margin of the winter food bible are any indication--it's a good one!

Labels:

33 Comments:

Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'll have to try it. I love good crock pot recipes. Some of them just completely lack flavor though but this one sounds tasty!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

The soup sounds good - although I am curious why you brown the sausage when smoked sausage is completely cooked already.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

If I'd read this recipe last night, we'd be having it for dinner tonight. I'll have to get out the crock pot for tomorrow though.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I don't eat soup, but hubby does. I'll have to give him this recipe.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Oh cripes, I hope it's not me. I'm about as exciting as a geriatric golf tournie. It's way too early to be this hungry though.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

I use the slow cooker all year round! It doesn't get much easier than crock pot cooking!

BTW, I love the Ice Queen you are knitting. Are you knitting it out of the lovely Russian yarn?

You are cute, so don't be so mean about yourself!

TTFN,

Kay

7:59 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Nice reminder--I haven't made enough soups lately. Looks good!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

You read everyone's comments? When I visit my dirty little secrets I try to avoid the comment button...

And tee hee, I know you're not talking about me as I get all of 2 comments on a good day :) One being yours!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

That sounds very yummy! I love potato soup, and I'm always on the lookout for a good crockpot recipe.

You should produce a cookbook for your Etsy shop ;)

9:11 AM  
Blogger doodlebug said...

Thanks, now I have that Melissa Ethridge song in my head "Your Little Secret" running on loop. However, you are forgiven for such a wonderful sounding recipe.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

I just got a crock pot, so I'd love to see more of these!!!!!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Now I'm craving soup.

I'm totally making this next week. My potatoes always turn into mush in the crockpot - but if they're supposed to be soup, it's all ok!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I miss having soup. Hubs is a giant with a giant appetite, so soup is just not enough to feed him. Although, the addition of sausage makes it a more substantial meal.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Oh Bezzie! The soup looks wonderful! You are such a genius! I can't believe you invented soup like that! I could never do it myself, you're just so brilliant! I love you!
I'm going out to get all the stuff to make the soup, because I want to be exactly like you!
I think you're perfect Bezzie!


;)

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! It is nice that someone in the family can cook!!! You did not get that trait from me!! For dinner we are having S.K.O.M.(Some Kind Of Meat). Plus I got tired of crock-pot food when I was a kid! But I can see doing soup in one. Love, Mom

11:48 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

My family loves kielbasa. Notice I said, 'my family'. I love the smell but hate the taste. My husband's mother's maiden name was orzechowski so sausage and pierogies,etc have crept into our dinner menus. The soup sounds good, though. I guess I could pick out the keilbasa.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

the kielbasa just made my mouth water. yuuuum. I think we all have our guilty pleasures blogs. ;)

12:26 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Now if only I had a crockpot! and I must say, that onion is what we call an "atomic onion" in my house. As in, genetically deformed to get so freaking big!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Num. That looks delicious. Although the sausage would likely be gone before hitting the pan. Maybe I'll try my own potatoes this year, too.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I'll have to try that recipe, with other meat though. ;) I love almost anything in a crockpot.

Geesh, I am a boring blogger compared to you! I don't have your wit! But hey, that's why we need you! No ass kissin' from me!

1:00 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Isn't emptying your meat what they teach you in sex ed?

2:05 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

The crock pot is a fabulous invention! I'll try out this soup it looks good to me. The hubby isn't so crazy about polish sausage. but he can learn to like it.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Necia said...

I don't know whether to snort or to snorkle at your opening comments. Rofl. I wish I could be a fly on your wall as you bloghop. Lolololoololol.

Necia

5:33 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

My blog is as bland as they come.

Soup looks good, what time should I be over for dinner?

6:29 PM  
Blogger Amysatx said...

mmmm....looks delish!! I'll be sure to add it to my collection!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Nah, you won't get bland comments from your readers....we be a creative bunch. ;)
Guess what my Brady Bunch-sized family is getting for dinner tomorrow? My slow cooker has been feeling neglected. Thanks for sharing!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

ooh, I have a great simple soup recipe I should share on the blog too.

And I know I can't be the secret blogger, cos I have the same comments as the tactless wonder! I definitely don't do ONLY knitting posts :-)

please share more clues. PLEASE. You are such an f-ing tease.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

Also! I always put raw meat/poultry in the crock pot. Isn't that the point of the crock pot - one pot cooking? I am still alive. Don't see the point of 'browning' in a pan, then cooking in the crockpot. Seems like double duty to me.

9:46 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

I really want to comment about how yummy the soup looks, but um....I'm still laughing about the bag up your meat comment!!

And I love that Disco came right out and asked what dirty secret blgos you are talking about! hehehe

9:59 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I heart my crock-pot.... and I think soup is a perfect winter meal, gets you nice & warm from the inside out.

wait... was that too saccarine??? Uh.... your soup sucks! ;)

11:35 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Mmmm soup. I have most of that stuff around too. I was feeling martha-y and made turkey stock and it's in the freezer. Whoever invented the crockpot gets my praise.

I live with so few comments and practically no knitting content so I'm going to act proud and figure it's not me, although boring does fit... love magatha's comment :D

9:26 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

That looks like a nice recipe, I'll give it a go this weekend.
I don't have one of those slow cookers so using a casserole dish in a low oven should do the trick?

5:31 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I visit blogs that make me cringe sometimes...yes I do...and I go back because they are like a train wreck...you can't help but look LOL

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home