Monday, January 28, 2008

Sí, sí Señor!

Muchas calor, could fry an egg on the sidewalk it's so caliente!

Ok, I don't know why but this hat makes me think of that old Sesame Street song.

But here's the cabled mystery WIP, now an FO.

And no, it's not Fetching. I may be bandwagon, but I do draw the line somewhere.

100_5335

Pattern: Capitán by Rosi G. Her firm knows how to make a mean memo and she knows how to make a mean hat!

Yarn: Monica might recall this as well, it's Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky in some unoriginal color named after a number and not a real color. It's light blue. I purchased on sale at Stix last weekend. It took about one and a half balls.

Needles: US 10 DPNs

Notes: I'm happy to report I don't feel like a total doof trying to be hip wearing this hat. It will be a cute spring-time weekend hat.

I wish I had picked bigger buttons, but I had these on hand (I salvaged them from the failed Victorian Lace Neckwarmer) and with a little tacking down of the band-strip, they work just fine.

It's a wonderfully written pattern. I know I messed up the decreases toward the top though. But that's OK. I've always had issues wrapping my brain around decreasing ribs.

The brim was also cool too. As I was knitting it, I was sure I messed it up because it was long and floppy. I didn't realize that it's folded in half after knitting and sewn onto the the bottom of the hat. I don't really read ahead in patterns, what can I say?

Next up, I finished my first baby sock for an ex-coworker's new granddaughter.

Me and this ex-coworker were (are) both into the campy holiday socks.

The dorkier the better.

For Christmas I sent her a set of socks I found at one of the tourist souvenir stores in Penn Station that had a map of the NYC subway system printed on them.

I figured we'd better get started on converting this new granddaughter of hers to the cult of the sock.

100_5337

I'm very proud of this--it's my first short row heel! Now never mind I'm not showing you the other side with the larger holes, but it will do. I plan to make three variations of this basic sock and I'll have plenty of time to practice the heel.

I suppose now I could tackle toe-up socks since it was always the short row heel that confuzzled me.

But I don't think so. I still think toe-ups offer no advantage over top downs. I don't buy into the yarn-use argument.

Speaking of debate, the next post will feature my political knitting.

Don't worry, it's not a Barack Obama voodoo doll or anything...although his campaign is a bandwagon I refuse to hop on.

Labels:

27 Comments:

Blogger Connie said...

That is an adorable hat. I don't know how you are able to recall actual lyrics of old songs - I used to watch Sesame Street when I was a kid too but Rosita was added when my older kids were watching it. I have also taken each of my kids to the Sesame Street Live Show 2 times each - great fun!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I love the hat, and the color of it!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Hooray for your first short-row heel! The cap looks great, too - cool brim.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

Like the hat.

Please, please make a Mitt Romney voodoo doll....:)

Not to get political, but I will, I watched him give his "Yay! I'm a big weiner in SC" speach. He is powerful with his words. It is amazing and scary all at the same time.

So far, I cannot say I support anyone running in the campaign - left or right. Pretty dismal choices if you ask me.

Oh well, I still like your hat!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

When I say I watch him give his speach, I am speaking of Barack Obama. I should have been more clear.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Hmmm, just "youtubed" the song...all I could think of was a whole bunch of "Wash's" from Firefly...probably the abundance of Hawaiian shirts...

It is a very cute hat! Now pair it with a matching Hawaiian shirt...hace calor! (Mucho calor :).)

Yey on conquering short rows!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Cute hat, cute sock.
Can't wait for the political knitting :-)
(not that I get a vote or anything!)

8:37 AM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Love the hat! Love.

8:52 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Great jon non the El Capitan - and your first short row heel! You know, you can do a heel flap going toe-up, too. But I still like top down. I mean top-down socks, not my top down. Although, that can be fun, too...

9:25 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Okay, that first sentence should say job on, not jon non. Coffee, need more coffee...

9:26 AM  
Blogger Calling on Kahlo said...

I love that hat from Rosi G. I was considering knitting it for a store sample, hmmmm.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Very cool hat, I really like that shade of blue. I don't read ahead in patterns either (though I should). This weekend I thought there was an error in the pattern (i.e. why do i have so many stitches?) that I went and looked up to see if there were any errata for the pattern. If I had just read one line further into the pattern I would have learned, oh we did a buttload of decreases on the next row. oh well!

10:44 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Dude, I dig the hat. From what I can see of it, it's very "Portland Chic." You should knit me one from the Oscar the Grouch yarn. Then, I could wear it, my mittens, and my "Portland Chic" schloggers and be uber-Portland Chic.

True story.

-T.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice hat and Sock!!! I know where you got your sock fetish!!! But I will never tell!! Love, Mom

11:33 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I love the hat. I need to knit one.

I think toe up does offer an advatage for me. I hate casting on for a sock (60+ stitches) and trying to knit the first couple of rows without twisiting everything around. And I hate stitching up the toe. When I do a short row toe up sock I don't have any of those problems.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

The hat is really great. I wonder how it would look in camouflage? OH, wait a minute, I forgot. Too old to wear such a hat. Nevermind.

I love that baby sock. Yay! for stretching knitting skills.

(I refuse to jump on the 'z' in skills bandwagon. ;-)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

OMGG! What Kay said, about the doll, in triplicate!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Get Chunky to take your picture in the new hat ASAP. Looks great! And cute little sock. (make cute noise now...)

12:37 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I like the new hat and the number of the hat! Kudos on the sock, it looks great!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Like the hat!

Baby socks are fun to knit. I whipped up some preemie ones this fall and those are addictive. It does make it hard to knit a whole adult sock though.

Congratulations on the heel. I know the victory of getting it.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Red Dog Knits - Kristi and Otis said...

Thanks for the link on that too cool for school hat - I was just mentionning that I wanted something in the ilk of this hat - I want to see a pic of you wearing it to see how it sets atop ones nugget.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Cute hat! It sortof looks like the one I saw at Banana Republic.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Necia said...

Dude your hat looks hawt! I don't know why you thought you would look like a dork. It looks GREAT on you. I'm glad you made it and like it.

Necia

6:04 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Not sure if my comment made it through...blogger gave me some error message....sooo...
Nice hat! toe up vs top down difference? Jsut grafting the toe...

7:58 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Nice hat there! Good job on your first SRH! hehe..I still have to sew them shut on one side sometimes!

11:05 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Love love love the hat!! Great color too!

Someday I too will give the toe-up sock a chance. Someday.

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

HA! I LOVE the hat!! :o)

It DOES look great on you dahlink!

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home