Saturday, January 19, 2008

Warm Hands, Warm Feet

Suddenly I have a flood, ok, well two, FOs finished at the same time.

First up are my CSU Socks.

100_5292

I love the yarn, but I'm not too fond of the Jaywalker pattern I used.

I gave away my last pair of Jaywalkers, so I never really had a chance to realize how they fit. These are really big socks that don't fit my feet well.

Pattern: Jaywalkers (dude, I'm not linking the pattern, it's ubiquitous)

Needles: US 2

Yarn: Superwash wool sock yarn dyed by Pink Wool in Colorado State Colors (no, not the Packers...although I kind of hope they crush the Giants this weekend...I always root for the non-local team except when it's CSU!)

Even though they're too big, it won't stop me from wearing them. But the next (if any) pair of Jaywalkers I knit, I will modify the stitch count or knit them on smaller needles.

100_5293

Next up, I was inspired by this post on my sister T.'s blog.

The girl had been living in Atlanta, GA for two years, tried to find her fortune in Portland, and finally found a job in Cincinatti (that's a lot of driving...). Well unlike Portland, where I suspect they get that kind of "snow" we had in Juneau (a slushy mix of rain that doesn't really ever accumulate into much over a few days), Cincinatti actually got some snow.

Girl didn't have an ice scraper or proper mittens.

Now I'm not mitten queen, but I whipped her up a pair.

100_5294

They're a tad bit small for my hands which I'm assuming are about the same size as T.'s. But I like my mittens snug and non-floppy so I think they'll do the job. At least until she gets a decent pair and a real ice scraper.

Pattern: Easy Mittens from 101 One-Skein Wonders.

Yarn: Paton's Classic Merino in what I'm calling Oscar The Grouch Green.

Needles: US 7

I had never made mittens before and the thumb gusset was a mystery to me until now. I modified this pattern to include a ribbed cuff instead of a rolled cuff that would have occurred had I followed the pattern.

I think they turned out OK and will soon be off in the mail to Cinci.

100_5295



Labels:

25 Comments:

Blogger Poops said...

But...but...but...Jaywalkers are so BANDWAGONY!!! First Ice Queen, and now this? What's next? A clapotis? *sigh*

Love those Packers socks! Yeah, I know they're not Packers socks, but I just see green and gold and go all wobbly inside. I hope they crush the Giants so they can go on and crush the Patriots--our local team. (Oh, I hate them so.)

I love your mittens too! They look awesome!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

CRacked up at that clapotis comment - very true Bezzie!!

Love the mittens, look very cozy - can't get into the jaywalkers myself.

7:51 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

You're the first I've heard say that their Jays came out too BIG! That's kind of a relief actually. They can be made to fit a human and not a pixie.

8:13 AM  
Blogger karl said...

nice socks.

k-)

8:14 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Sweet. I can't wait to get the mittens! And, perfect color--almost green tea!

-T.

9:01 AM  
Blogger janna said...

No one else is surprised the Juneau doesn't get real snow? Add that to the fact that, according to the weather page in this morning's paper, the high in Anchorage is supposed to be about 30 degrees warmer than Iowa City, and all of my illusions about Alaska have been crushed.

Oh -- and aren't mittens fun? I'm working on my second pair and have two more pairs in my queue.

10:15 AM  
Blogger maggie said...

I'm getting ready to tackle a pair of mittens myself (I still can't get into socks, although someday I'll try..).

I'm also kind of embarrassed to say that I have a hard time finding an icescraper these days. The south is making me soft.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Thanks for the heads up on Jawalkers being big. I have size 6 feet and always have to shrink down pattersn. I was thinking about doignga pair. Eventually. Maybe not anymore...

10:56 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I' still haven't braved the jaywalkers. I like the yarn and the colors you've got going on. But I don't think I'll ever try those socks.

I like the mittens. I've been wanting to make some and I just ordered that book yesterday.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice socks and mittens!! Is the DRMS letting you wear them? Or do you have a pair going for him? I might slip in a scaper for T in her Christmas Box. I plan on sending it next week and hope that she gets it on or before her 25th B-day. (That way she can celebrate Dec 25th and 25 years on this earth in one BIG celebration!) To reply to janna Yes "The Banana Belt" is warmer than the Midwest! We do have a week or two of below zero but that is it. And the summers are a DREAM!!! No heat and humidity!!! Love, Mom

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice socks and mittens!! Is the DRMS letting you wear them? Or do you have a pair going for him? I might slip in a scaper for T in her Christmas Box. I plan on sending it next week and hope that she gets it on or before her 25th B-day. (That way she can celebrate Dec 25th and 25 years on this earth in one BIG celebration!) To reply to janna Yes "The Banana Belt" is warmer than the Midwest! We do have a week or two of below zero but that is it. And the summers are a DREAM!!! No heat and humidity!!! Love, Mom

12:58 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Nice Jaywalkers! I love the zigzag chevrons with their zigzag pooling, and the sheen on the yarn. I had to make the pattern smaller, too.

1:42 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

So now that your socks are finally done, does that mean next year ND and CSU will make it to a bowl game?!!

My jaywalkers were too big too :( But I still wear them lovingly around the house!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Cool socks, and terrific green mitts! Sweet!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Nice socks and mitts there! Haven't even wanted to try those socks yet...weird role reversal here ;)

4:35 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Excellent Jaywalkers! Who cares if it's bandwagony? If it looks good, it looks good.

The mittens are great. I have yet to make full mittens, but those look soooo warm.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Amysatx said...

I love your mittens-yours knit up much faster than mine!! Of course I haven't had much of a desire to stay "on-task" when it comes to my knitting lately. Thanks for the info on the jaywalkers.

9:52 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Nice socks and mitts! I have no desire to knit Jaywalkers. But I have knit a Mini-Clapotis. I think they cancel each other out.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

The jaywalkers look like they have feathers on them. Cool.

2:35 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Love the FO's! They look great!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

They may be a little loose, but they sure look nice! You're a good froend whipping out a pair of mittens like that. Can you imagine?
That girl has got to get some warm stuff!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

She'll be *so* happy to get those mittens!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

I love the mittens!!!! :)

3:13 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Nice Jaywalkers. I'm detecting a green theme going on. Me likey.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I love that sock yarn. They turned out great and so did the mitts.

Mitts and scaves are the best to mail....you can flatten them up real good and it doesn't cost too much!

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home