Thursday, February 28, 2008

100% Less Dead Cat!

First the announcement of the winner of the first annual Ugly Couch Contest.

The winner of the Reader’s Choice is #4! Apparently people are willing to sacrifice aesthetics for comfort.

The winner of the random drawing is: #6.

I’ve emailed youse guys for your addresses. Be expecting some random meanderthings in your mailbox soon!

This is also a quick reminder that the end of February is upon us! Which means only a few more days to submit your entry for the February K.A.Y.E. drawing for a decadent skein of rich, red Jitterbug.

Ah, so what’s been going on betwixt the smashing of helpless creatures with my car and posting pictures of ugly couches?

Not too much. I haven’t been knitting as much. Which is good and bad.

Back before Dr. Mad Scientist went into rehab, we had a nice little T.V. routine where we’d veg out in front of El Tubé watching DVDs of TV shows for an hour and a half before bed. This made for great knitting.

Yeah not so much anymore. He goes to an AA meeting each night leaving me home alone. I can’t watch TV alone for some odd reason.

Instead, I’ve been reading.

I’ve yet to master reading and knitting at the same time without getting a sore neck.

I’ll go into what I’ve been reading later because I promised this would be an uplifting post today!

But here’s what I’ve been knitting.

The Hurl Yourself Off The Bridge New Jersey Winter/Go Spurs Go Sock:

100_5498

Even for being a plain-jane sock, this is taking FORever to knit. I only knit it at lunch, which is probably why.

I love the way the gray sort of thickens in a spiral around the sock.

And then there’s my sister T.’s scraper mitt.

100_5497

I wasn’t going to knit this because Mom was supposed to be sending T. an ice scraper for her birthday.

But she forgot.

So I picked one up at the Dollar Store and am knitting T. a little mitt to go with it.

T.’s not really a “pink” person, but it will match her car.

No she doesn’t drive a pink car. She drives a Taurus.

It's called the Pinkley Taurus*

Say it out loud a couple of times if you don’t get the joke at first. You’ll get it eventually. ETA: Put your mind in the gutter when you say it outloud.

I figure by springtime when her windshield is no longer freezing I’ll have this done. Ah well, her Pinkley Taurus will have it for next winter!


*I wish I could take credit for that--but I heard it on a radio show right around the time she was buying her car.

Labels: ,

33 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Oooo pretty knitting! Of course I'm a little partial to the socks. ;)

7:25 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Is it a joke that takes some particular knowledge of popular culture to get? (goes off muttering "pinkley taurus"...)

Nice socks!

Maybe Dr. MS will find NJ AA more to his liking than the MI variety.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Olive said...

Man, I think I have said pinkley taurus 100 times and I still don't get it! Am I the only one?

8:05 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

i like the grey striped sock. I saw the pic and was all "ooooh!, pretty". and it's pretty dreary up north here. Keep knitting it. I like it! I wanna see more....

8:24 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

OMG. That's hilarious.

And for those of you who aren't getting it... try saying the "K" sound twice... with a small pause in between...

8:41 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Great sock! And it took Trillian's suggestion for me to get pinkley taurus.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I still don't get it - we Clevelanders must be a little slow or something, LOL! Very nice ice scraper mitt so far!

Hmmm, I don't watch TV much by myself either. My husband works nights, and when he's at work, I'm either cleaning up Hurricane Dominic's and Tornado Bethany's messes after they go to bed, or on the computer. We'll watch TV when he's home at night on Fridays and Saturdays.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Giggle..I think I got it ;)

Nice looking sock there!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I love it! That def wins over going to a store and asking them to page "Mike Hunt". I was sipping a drink till I almost gagged after reading and mentally doing the name thing.

Ok if something happens to me tonite, its Bezzie's fault!

At least I'll have a smile on my face!

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Joymama said...

Ohhhhhh! I get it!!!! Yes, that is funny. Thanks for the hint Trillion42. That made all the difference in getting the joke.

Bezzie, stay cool thru the rest of the rehab, AA meetings, waiting until you know about Dr MS's job situation, and dealing with the 'new schedule'. It's a bitch for sure. I've been there, done that.

It does get better, then worse, then better and then sooner or later you will find the answer that is right for you.

Joymama

12:06 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Oh gosh I am dying here after reading Elizabeth's reply lol.....

Her going off muttering "pinkley taurus"....

I am off a muttering too...

"pinkley taurus"
"pinkley taurus"
"pinkley taurus"

Great sock by the way!!

12:11 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

Hee hee. It took a few times, and with Trillians help, I got it! Hee hee

Your sox are very cool looking.

3:58 AM  
Blogger peri said...

Hahaha - J just looked at me as asked "why you whispering over and over Mum?" I have yet to answer him - mind you better than him asking "what you whispering Mum?"

5:06 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Okay, I came back after a few hours sleep and chanted it again with the double KK advice and the ton of bricks just fell on my head....lol I get it now.

Gosh I am slow on the uptake lol It is a good think my life didn't depend on getting jokes...right over my head many go.

For those still lost think:

pink cli-tauras

(at least I hope I am right...if not that is even worse then not getting it lol )

5:45 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

I don't get it but I'll be repeating "Pinkley Taurus" all day until I do!
The scraper mitt is a cute idea!

6:06 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

hee! That's awesome. My SIL calls her Pontiac Vibe, "Raider".

Yeah.

Oh, and for a little more help. . . when you say it, put the emphasis on the second syllable of pinkley.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I admit I had to repeat the phrase a few times and then I put my mind firmly into the gutter and it made sense.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Gosh, who knew that an adult content warning was needed on such a sweet innocent little knitting blog.
;-)

7:59 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

LMAO! Tea just got spit all over my desk.

I love the sock...what yarn is that?

8:16 AM  
Blogger bmom said...

A worthy winner! That couch is ugly indeed.

Have you tried audio books while knitting? Our library has downloads for free (my favorite four-letter word) -- and real books, not just high school classics like Moby Disk or Catcher in the Rye.

Those socks would make me dizzy.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Okay, that took me a minute....

Does the owner of the winning couch remain a secret?

9:10 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Alright, I said that softly to myself so I could "get it". Good thing I wispered I'm at work! Too funny!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Congratulations to the Ugly Couch winners! I'm hoping for acceptance speeches in the spirit of Halle Berry's at the Golden Razzies.

Reading alone. The adjustments continue.

I needed help decoding Pinkley Taurus. Junior high school was a long time ago!

10:34 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Well, to make all of the people who are having a hard time figuring out "Pinkley Taurus," it took me a long time, too. And I'm the one with the Pinkley Taurus!

I don't always call my car by her full name. Sometimes I just call her "Pinkley" or "Pinks." I think it's cute.

Thank you, KBezzie, for the scraper and mitt. I did break down and buy a scraper with a brush. It was totally marked $6.99 and I sighed in resignation that I was going to have to pay that price. But, at the register it rang up at $1.85. Who's the cheapass now? Holdin' out pays off! Haha!

-T.

11:30 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I love how you promise this will be an uplifting post, then immediately follow it with socks called "Hurl Yourself Off The Bridge..." ;)

Thanks to Pam, I finally got it! And now I'm going to inadvertently mutter obscenities all day. Should probably cancel that trip to Target...

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I like the heels of your socks!! They look real cool! And I have an excuse for forgetting that scraper....I was trying to get T her christmas presents to her also....Yeah, Yeah, thats the ticket. That is my story and I am sticking to it!! Thanks everyone for the laughs!! Love, Mom

12:12 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

OMG! It took me a couple of times to get Pinkley Taurus... at first I thought it was a dinosaur reference. LOL!

I like the ice scraper mitt... if it got icy here I might make one for myself. But it doesn't.... just rainy. Maybe I need an umbrella mitt.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Love the sock and the scraper mitt. Funny that you host KAYE and bought a scraper for a pinkley Taurus ~snort~

3:44 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma said...

Um, I got it.

Is that pattern in One Skein Wonders? I'd love a Pinkley Taurus Scraper. So I can do my own Cooter Rootin.

Just kidding.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Pretty ice scraper mitt!

I don't get the joke. I'm terrible at jokes.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Wait! I just asked hubby to say it out loud and he got it! Dirty indeed, LOL

8:49 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Well a Pinkley Taurus sure deserves a warm scraper.

At least it's not a Stinkley Taurus

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

i don't get it... :( i'm slow today.

i made a pair of socks recently using that boring ass pinstripe gray from LL. nice yarn but the color...sigh...makes for a nice pair of work socks tho!

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home