Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sewing

I've had a busy weekend running around buying things.

Buying things? But Bezzie, your husband is unemployed, what the hell are you thinking?

It's OK. The "things" I've been buying are fabric. (Oh and a box of Valentines for Chunky--but I scored those at the Dollar Store.)

Remember that coworker I made the little purple baby socks for?

Well she got the little purple baby socks and emailed me back to thank me for them--and with a proposition.

Her other daughter (the one who didn't just have a cute little baby) got engaged last weekend.

Her daughter's new last name-to-be is a really cool one and sounds very superhero-ish. So she asked me if I'd be willing to make her daughter a superhero cape.

Ha ha, how can I resist a crafty challenge like that?

Never mind that I think my sewing machine is possessed by Satan...

She of course will pay me for supplies and time. She's a good nut. She's the same one that commissioned me a few years ago to bake cookies for a Christmas cookie swap she was going to thus allowing me to be able to lamely call myself a "professional" baker. Ha ha!

I figured before I start the cape, I would try my hand at some smaller sewing.

Have you ever seen those cute little needlebooks people sell on Etsy? They're little "books" that have felt pages that you can stick your sewing needles in.

Some are really cute (and cost like $14) and some are pretty, um, for lack of a better word, primitive (and cost like $3).

I figured keeping track of my yarn, sewing, and embroidery needles is kind of a bitch and it would be easy to make my own needlebook.

I took some fabric I bought off Etsy (pre-job loss!) and some fleece I had leftover from Chunky's Halloween costume three years ago and I came up with this:

100_5376
Closed view.

100_5377
Open view.

100_5378
Open side-view.

Pretty cute huh? I decided to make it snap shut as opposed to button closed (like many of the higher quality Etsy ones do) and to only have two "pages" (I don't have that many needles).

My little needlebook now resides in the red Harry and David (Merry Christmas Nikki!) basket I keep on the end "table" next to the couch that holds my scissors, measuring tape, and current TV WIP.

Labels:

28 Comments:

Blogger Disco said...

Sew, will you be selling these on Etsy now? :-) The sheep fabric is cute :-)

9:46 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

What a cute idea! Great for using up some scraps of leftover fabric too. I can't wait to see this cape. It's a great idea!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

If you're still looking for a part time job, my friend has done this for a few months, and referred another friend who is also working remotely from SC. It's for Google, only through a temp agency.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/eng/558544879.html

I am not associated with Google at all, but this is a pretty good job to work on your own hours. Good luck!

10:44 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Very cool! If I had sewing needles, i'd totally enlist you to create one for me. And I probably do have some. But I dunno where. =P

11:02 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Very cute indeed! Funny, I'm doing some sewing today myself. Just taking in some clothes, nothing creative. My machine runs on the devil's fumes too ;-)

11:14 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Cute! That black sheep is so you! I would like to order one just like it for my scattered needles!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I think I missed the sewing needle book revolution...I'd never heard of them.

It's very cute fabric. I kinda just stick mine in old pieces of fabric and hope I don't stick myself when scrounging for something...

I know about evil spirits and sewing machines, I regularly light candles and do banishing hexes for mine...but may I suggest you run a "flattening" stitch around the outside of the case? (I don't know if I'm describing it right and I hope someone will correct me.) It'd give it a firmer definition and more support to the seams as snapping and unsnapping tends to pull at fabric a lot.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Avrienne said...

You know, I'd never actually seen those! I'm going to have to make myself one, it's ridiculously cute *and* useful, and I have tons of random fabric lying around...

12:20 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I love the idea of a super hero cape. How fun is that. What a great mother that woman must be. Will it be red? Somehow I always picture super heros in red capes.

3:14 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

That fabric is so cute!! Can't wait to see he cape!! How cute is that going to be!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That is cute. Emailed you the pattern we used for Mardi Gras :)

I've been sewing a lot more lately, the machine is in the living room, I better or the Mr will want me to put it away!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Thi is a good idea. Hmm, my MIL sews, maybe down the road.

4:00 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Sweet needle book. I didn't sew this weekend, but I did do a bunch of domestic-ish things. The highlight was repotting my cactus, which I will be carrying into work tomorrow morning.

-T.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I've never heard of a needle book before. Its really cute! I'm especially fond of the sheep print. Viva la fiber!

You should sell these on Etsy. With cute fabric like that, I'd bet they go quick. Speaking of etsy, are you going to sell the yarn cutters again anytime soon? I "borrowed" my mother's mini scissors for my travel projects and she's just realized I have them and wants them back. Pi will no longer let me have her safety scissors either. I've been banned.

As for cheap Valentine's day, my grandfather always has, and still does, buy us huge boxes of chocolate the day after Valentine's day. They're like 75% off! His reasoning is that we can get a small box on that day or wait til the next day and get a huge box for the same price as a small one. We never minded waiting that one day!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tactlesswonder is talking about top stitching around the book. Hook and Loop also would work for a closure. (Velcro is a brand name) I think that I have some tan felt also. Love, Mom

5:57 PM  
Anonymous NikBudnik said...

Haha! I totally forgot about that basket I sent. I normally throw shit like that away. :)

6:17 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

A needle book, very clever! I've never heard of those. Beats the piece of black paper all my needles are stuck in now.

LOL, a superhero cape! Hmmm, if you make it in white, will she wear it on her wedding day?

6:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Very cute little book! I love the Dollar Tree stores. My husband and I got all our kids' Easter basket stuff there last year.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Very nice needle book - I am constantly looking for needles. They are usually stuck into the side of a spool of thread.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That turned out super cute! I am diggin' the sheepy fabric. Definitely need to sew me up some of those.

Great thing about those fabric/yarn stashes....they are there when the "extra" money goes away.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

I agree, you should make a few and sell them on etsy. Actually, if you have some yarn stash you're willing to part with, whip up a few baby things, price them reasonably and they will fly on etsy. I couldn't believe how much I sold, and it wasn't even my best work!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Very cute. I recognize the fabric....tho, yours has black sheep, while mine have pink. :)

9:17 PM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

Glad you found a little odd job! Watch out! Sewing can be addicting.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Very cute! Most of my pins & needles are stuck in a pin cushion I made back in college. I should make a little felt notebook too.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Sending you good sewing vibes, that your machine will behave properly!! Cute needle case, I need one of those!

4:54 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Finally! An FO that I could actually do! I don't knit, but I can sew :).

My step MIL is a knitter. I wonder if I could sew her a needle stash bag for Christmas .... Hmm?

Bezzie, you got my little wheels a-turnin' ;).

10:11 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

A cape! Will it have 'powers'?

Cute little voodoo kit.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

OH! that's so cute!! i had never seen one of those! LOVE IT! nice job. G'head and sell them on Etsy! I'd get one. :)

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home