Monday, February 18, 2008

Weekend Wrap Up

But it's not fully over--I'm off today! For the first time since I want to say 1996 (when I was a senior in high school) I have President's Day off. Can I tell you how much I love my job???

So far it's been a great weekend.

On Saturday I made a recipe straight from the Cheapass Gourmet---falafel.

I had purchased a package of green onions/scallions for some chicken quesadillas earlier in the week and had half a package of them left (I can't wait til summer when I can just go pick one or two from the Pot Garden and leave the rest for later).

On MSN I saw a recipe for falafel that called to me. I noticed right off the bat it called for green onions. And I remembered I still had a bag of garbanzo beans leftover from the IRS fun in September.

On Friday night I soaked 1/2 a pound of garbanzo beans (50 cents for 1/2 a bag).

100_5464

On Saturday afternoon, I went to work making my own pita bread. I've got a ways to go with it. It didn't suck as hard as my pie crust, but it wasn't as pocket-y as I would have hoped.

I chopped up my 1/2 bag of scallions (84 cents for half a bag),

100_5465

And minced up a clove of garlic (we have garlic on hand all the time) and a red pepper (92 cents)

100_5466

At this point I started cooking the garbanzos for about thirty minutes.

While I waited I prepped more of what goes into the falafel mixture.

The recipe called for 1/2 a cup of tortilla chips finely ground. It just so happened we had a bag of somewhat stale, bottom-of-the-bag-smashed chip bits--what a great way to use them up!

100_5467

I also shredded 1/2 a cup of monterrey jack cheese--I got 10 ozs at the grocery store for $1.84, a real steal given milk prices these days.

When the beans were soft, I rough-mashed them. They weren't perfectly smooth--I left some chunks in there--and I added the chip dust, cheese, scallions, garlic, and pepper.

100_5468

You also crack an egg in there to help bind it.

Then you form the falafel into balls (the recipe said patties, but those kept falling apart) and fry them up in a pan with a small amount of cooking oil. Don't go too heavy nor too light on the cooking oil. I went a little light--well more like my stove slopes, so I ended up cooking my falafel on one side of the pan where the oil pooled.

Cut open your pita, stuff in the falafel, and some lettuce and tomato (also things we always have on hand) and a little sour cream if you want, and enjoy.

100_5471

There's no meat involved, but you won't miss it. These are so damn filling. And they make great leftovers too that taste even better the second day. You couldn't have bought falafel at a street vendor or restaurant for this cheap.

On Sunday I um, well I can't say "purchased" because certain someone pulled a sleight of hand at the cash register, February's K.A.Y.E. yarn.

It's sock yarn--which I would like to point out I haven't prized in a while--I've been good!

And it's totally a Valentine-y February color:

100_5472

The picture doesn't do it justice but it's a skein of Colinette Jitterbug in a luscious semi-solid red color.

This red is intense! We're talking don't-toss-these-socks-in-the-wash-with-your-white-underpants-unless-you-want-pink-ones it's so intense! I'm not really a red lover, but this yarn is hard to not love.

If you haven't done so already--get those entries in!

And finally on Sunday, I updated the store.

Now I must take the Chunk to school and enjoy my Monday off! Woo!! Hooray for dead presidents!

Labels: , ,

29 Comments:

Blogger Jacquiebean said...

hey Bezzie - I haven't been online much lately, but I read your blog. Hope you are hangin' in there. It's a long dreary winter, isnt' it.

I'd like to enter the KAYE this year. I had my appointment two weeks ago. How do I enter? Did I just do it? That red is schweet, good job picking it.

Jacquiebean

7:08 AM  
Blogger bigevilgrape said...

I like to cook my felefel on the griddle, so I just coat each side in some oil, thusly eliminating your stove slopeing problem. You can also do the same and broil it. (it also does really good if you freeze it pre-cooking)

7:10 AM  
Blogger Virtuous said...

The sandwich looks really good!!

And you so had me at "Jitterbug"!!!
I LUV red and I luv me some jitterbug!

What color # is that one??

I will be on stand by seeing what comes off your needles with that fiery red!

7:18 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

That looks super yummy - it is making me look at my morning oatmeal with disdain.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I have never eaten a falafel that I liked. Yours, however, makes me wonder if I have enough garbanzo beans in the house to make it. It looks really yummy.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Thanks for the falafel lesson - I always wanted to make that.

Love the red yarn, but my rootin' isn't due til July!!

It's good to hear you sounding so positive. Hope things are going well for DMS

7:32 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

Oh my goodness, that falafel (sp) looks totally awesome. I will try that! I love me some chickpeas. Have you made hummus? If not, please give it a whirl. It rocks!

The yarn is very pretty too, but that food. Mmmmmm....

You are lucky you get the Dead Prez's day off! Hey, its almost like you are a postal or bank worker :)

7:48 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

How funny! I just sent my [Slovak] mom two middle-eastern falafel recipes. My Dad was Lebanese and my Mom learned how to be a great Arabic cook, but never made falafel. (Her baklava (pronounced butt-lah-wah in Lebanese dilect) is to die for, as is her kibbe.

I, alas, did not get the genes.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Mmmmm, falafel!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

When I read all your tips I can't help but sigh and wish that the internet had been around back in those "god I'm poor" days of college... I think it might have saved me so much grief.

Oh those happy, care-free hummus and falafel days of old. When worse came to worst? Hummus and day-old sourdough bread made many a meal...Chick peas are so under-rated in the protein/filling world. But I guess that's what keeps them cheap!

Happy day off!

9:34 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Great yarn choice for KAYE! I want to try falafel sometime. Thanks for posting your recipe. It looks great!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I hadn't realized falafels were so easy to make. Hmmm, anothe recipe for experimental recipe day. And since I wound up with most of this week off......

And that red! Love love love!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Now I'm starved! Looks delish~Love that red yarn, someone's gonna get lucky this month. Have a great day off!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I have never made falafels from scratch. I usually get the mix from the big box store and make them from that. I don't like them so usually the mix sits in the pantry until my husband finds it and says "hey, we haven't had falafels in a long time". I make couscous with it and that's what I eat.

10:24 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're staying home, but Chunky has to go to school? How much does that suck for the Chunkmeister?

Mmm...your cheap falafel intrigues me. I'm trying out new recipes that I can freeze and eat later in the week. I just made a noodle-less lasagna. I used eggplant instead of noodles. Lets just say that you have to roast the hell out of the eggplant to get the water out of it. My lasagna was a watery mess! But, I drained the water off and still froze it. For the amount of money I spent on the ingredients, I wasn't about to ditch the whole thing. We'll see how it tastes reheated.

-T.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I've got the day off too! Woot woot! Its later than noon and I am still in my pj's.

The falafel looks good! I'm a suck-ass cook. Thank goodness my hubby has that covered.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That felefel looks and sounds good. I would have to forget the chips and the bread but I have been looking for meatless dishes that I can eat. This sounds like one. I will have to try it. I like the prize for this month!! That is a very pretty red. Love, Mom

12:02 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

The falafels look delicious!! Yummy!

And Jitterbug...can't go wrong there!!!

Yay for three-day weekends too!! Its going to be a good week!

12:36 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Mmmmm, falafel. I'm going to have to try that sometime! Especially because we *always* have tortilla chips on hand with the little reject bits at the bottom of the bag!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

you made your own pitas. Impressed.

I love that Jitterbug yarn and the red- oooo! Too bad it's not the end of the year for that prize!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oooh, that falafel looks very tasty! I love green onions/scallions, but the last time I bought them, my son got into them (seriously - he loves the scallions on the Veggie Tales shows), and had the whole house smelling like onions, LOL! I tried hiding them in the fridge, but he still found them.

I'm off from work today too, although the kids are home (school and daycare - my son's daycare is part of the local public school district) is closed too, so it's not like a "real" day off, because the kids are wearing me out with their squabbling! Be glad you only have one, LOL!

3:35 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Wow you made your own pita bread? And it really turned into a pocket? You are so cool. The falafel looks awesome!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Yum! Both the falafel and the gorgeous red yarn :)

6:27 PM  
Blogger Pam the Yarn Goddess said...

Thanks, Bezzie... I really appreciated the comment you left for me. :)

It looks like things are pulling together for the store. I'm happy with it and hope that things are finally evened out. This old bitch can't take much more.

7:14 PM  
Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

sounds delicious! yum!

8:24 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

Damn, now I really want to take a bite. Yum!

1:28 AM  
Anonymous Sarahbot said...

You inspired me! I'm making falafel right now - I hadn't realized how long you have to soak the chickpeas, so I'm making it from a mix, but next time I shall definitely try your way.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

I've had lunch already but that recipe made me drool.
If I can get the makings I'll give it a go this weekend but I'll buy the pita bread tho'

Thanks for sharing.

TTFN

10:10 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

That felefel looks so good. I have never tried it but my sister raves about them. You have perked my interest into maybe trying to make it!

I love the yarn.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home