Monday, March 31, 2008

Barf Bag

Or maybe I'll call it the Chunky Monkey bag.

100_5692

It started out as something I thought I would gift someone who has a penchant for the monkeys. But it quickly grew (and grew and grew) into something quite ugly--as you can see from the photo.

Where are the monkeys?

100_5693

On the bottom of course.

And why Chunky? Because every weekend I have to haul home his nap pillow, sheet, and an afghan a Michigan coworker crocheted for him when he was a baby (out of white yarn--I have just recently given it to him to use now that he's old enough not to get it excessively dirty) to wash.

I did have a wonderful sturdy plastic bag from The Strand that I have been using since October to haul this stuff home. But last week I made the mistake of leaving his blankets in the bag when I dropped him off on Monday. So some other parent, or the trash claimed my beloved Strand bag.

The specs:

Pattern: My own. It's a ribbed lace pattern from an old Harmony Guide.

Yarn: Noro Kureyon--ala Mag--the popper of my Noro Cherry. Noro does have some pretty colors and I can see where people get addicted knitting with it. I'm not to impressed with the spin of it though. Yes, yes, it's handspun, but shoot, even my crappy spinning is as good as Noro's. Of course I wouldn't have made this comment had I not tried a spindle during this project.

Needles: US 11

Notes: (To Self:) Remember to follow a real pattern when attempting to make something nice for someone.

Ah well, it's done. And now I can concentrate on a semi-knitting related large project.

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Well, I think it's wonderful! And you're being way too hard on yourself. Sew in a little tag that says "Property of Chunky" and no one else at school will walk off with it.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Looks pretty good to me. And I second elizabeth's idea, mark it as yours! Otherwise some parent will walk off with it...

7:40 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Looks Great! I love the monkey bottom.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

I like it! :)

8:08 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I like it too! (I feel the same way about Noro Kureyon, even though I haven't actually used it yet. Noro Silver Thaw, I like, but it's too expensive for what it is, IMO.)

8:13 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I like the bag too! I'd mark it so no one take it either. Although it will be hard for another parent to show up with that bag and claim it as their own!

8:47 AM  
Blogger janna said...

I think it's cute!! And I agree about Noro -- I don't really understand the love. Luckily, no one's forcing me to knit with it! ;-)

9:12 AM  
OpenID knitterbunny said...

If it works, it works. That's what I say.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I think it's great. I especially like the monkey fabric! Definitely mark it property of... :)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I think it's great. Hauling all that stuff is a ton of work. Brilliant idea. I think you could totally gift that.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Sorry - forgot something in my last post!

I agree - the bag is cute! I love the printed fabric bottom.

My daughter's best friend is crazy about monkeys, and would get a kick out of that. She got mad when my daughter told her (after we went on vacation to Pittsburgh a few years ago) that the monkey house at the zoo smelled bad, LOL! Well, it did! We had to get out about halfway through, because of the smell. There was a pregnant woman walking around in there, and I was amazed she could tolerate it. I know when I was pregnant (especially with my daughter) I couldn't handle any strong smells. The worst was getting stuck sitting next to someone on the bus who reeked like perfume or cologne - I'd be gagging and trying to hold it in until I got to work and could run into the bathroom to puke. Uggh - I sure don't miss those days.

Anyway, I agree too with the other commenters - definitely label the bag! Get yourself some cute personalized sew-in "Knitted by..." knitting labels.

10:00 AM

10:02 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

yay the slog is done! i love the fabric on the bottom.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I think the bag is great! The colors are interesting, and I'm loving the bottom. Attaching fabric like you did solves the problem of a knitted bottom stretching too much under weight.

10:39 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

At first, I thought maybe you'd hidden Rosie underneath the white thingamob on top, and she'd pop out like a monkey-in-a-...er...bag...

The fabric on the bottom is too cute! Looks like it'll make a great bag for hauling nap supplies!

10:40 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Well I can see nothing barfy about that bag! And it makes a great nap pillow hauler home bag.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

FWIW, I like the bag - not barfy at all. Then again, I like stash flashing too.

12:17 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Yay its done!! And the monkey bottom is fantastic! Although you might not love it, its definately not a barf bag :)

12:34 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Barf bag???!! What are you like! It is definitely a chunky monkey bag - cool!

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one COOL bag!!! I really like the monkey fabric on the bottom. As everyone has been saying mark it and use it!! Chunkie or you will look good carrying it in to school!! Love, Mom

3:20 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I like it! Bet everyone does. That's a real shame about Chunky's blankets, my kid would have freaked!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I like it! Bet everyone does. That's a real shame about Chunky's blankets, my kid would have freaked!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I like it too. I have a thing for large bags. The larger the better!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home