Saturday, March 08, 2008

Everything's Coming Up Roses

See, I told you I wouldn't be able to shut up long.

100_5527

Things have been looking up.

Those flowers there came to my office on Friday.

From my husband?

No.

From my boyfriend?

No.

They were from my Top of the Totem Pole Boss's (I work for three attorneys--one partner, and two associates--when they give me work, the partner's gets done first followed by the associates' based on their seniority) mother.

His mom spent all of February in Florida and I was tasked with setting up her flight, rental car, and the ticket for the first string of her kids to come down and stay with her. My TOTTP Boss comes from an old-school Catholic family with tons of kids so he and his sibs took turns each spending a week down there with her.

I met her once and she's one of those cute old ladies you just want to squeeze until they pop (I have this urge with cute babies and cats too). But she was thoughtful enough to send me this gorgeous arrangement and a note thanking me. Say it with me now: Awwwwwww!

That definitely brightened my day.

Now if Squeaky would just stop climbing the quilt I have under this window with her claws trying to get up at the flowers, all would be well. (Next kitten I get is getting declawed!)

On Wednesday Dr. Mad Scientist met with Mt. Sinai's Human Resources department.

They will be giving him back a job. They just don't know where or what.

He also filled out the paperwork putting him on Double Secret Probation. Basically, if he fucks up, he's outta there for good.

He's subject to random pee (or blood, but they say they only do that for drug users, not boozers) tests, verfication that he's still attending group therapy (2 nights a week), and any other whim of the Department of Pediatrics.

He's a bit frustrated that he won't know WHAT the hell he'll be doing when he's done with his intensive outpatient therapy at the end of the month, but he does realize he's damn lucky to even have a job.

So in many ways, this has been just like Sucky September. About two months with no pay. Who would have thought something good could have come from that nightmare? Who would have thought it would be good practice for this current nightmare? Everything for a reason huh?

I've also been working furiously on new stuff for the Etsy shop. I've got some new products I will be unveiling. Mom also emailed me to say she's sending some kitty-needlebooks down shortly. Be on the lookout.

I hope to have at least a preliminary update with new stock next week.

The best part of this weekend was Teenage Marriage Shrink cancelling our appointment today! She's under the weather. Hooray! Well not for her feeling sick, but hooray for not having to schlep into the city! We were going to drag Chunky in and just have him wait in the waiting room. He loves going into the city and would have been bummed if we both went without him.

Dr. Mad Scientist also explained to Teenage Marriage Shrink that it was nothing personal against her, but it was just really a burden to have to go into the city each week for a 55 minute appointment. She emailed her clinical director and she's supposed to be putting us in touch with a Marriage Shrink in Montclair.

For those familiar with where I live, in typical New Jersey fashion (where all the cities are super-squished together), Montclair is a skip from here. I could walk to Montclair from where we live.

This Marriage Shrink apparently takes insurance (although I'm not sure how many more covered mental health appointments we have left for this year on Dr. Mad Scientist's insurance plan) and has a sliding fee scale. Nice!

Not to mention I've got a friend at work from an old-school not-so-Catholic family where she's the oldest of six kids (like me) and she's offered to pimp out one of her siblings if we ever need a sitter. It would be much easier to only have to pay someone for an hour and a half to watch El Chunkito than a whole day in addition to paying $20 to get into the city.

For today, even though it's raining and gloomy, everything seems to be coming up roses, and gerbera daisies, and tulips and stargazer lilies...

Labels: , ,

29 Comments:

Blogger Rebel said...

Glad things are looking up!! And you know... TOTTPB's mom has class. It's so funny at my job. For one person I'll do my job, be my normal helpful self and I'll get flowers. Then for someone else I'll be doing 10x the work - over and above what my actual job entails and - nada! Barely a "thanks". Oh well. At least someone recognizes that you're a superstar!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Inky said...

Flowers are always a great day brightener, but Bez, you never cease to amaze me. Not that you want to hear me fart rainbows and flowers, but you are something special ;)

9:59 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Yay, good news at last. So pleased that your days are a little brighter now :-)

The flowers are beautiful and what better state to enjoy them in, than the Garden state ;-)

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Isn't is nice to be appreciated? Makes everyone elses crap sooooooo much easier to take. Glad that DrMS still has some kind of job. Hopefully he will think twice before doing something like that again. Ahhh! Chunky don't get a train ride. You knew he was going to love them when you went to Chicago on one. Sorry that your MC is sick today...so go out and enjoy! Love, Mom

10:31 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

The flowers are beautiful! What a sweet lady to think of you like that! It's nice to be appreciated. I'm glad to hear your husband will be going back to work, too. You know, my cat has been declawed (front only) for years, but she still "scratches" stuff up, LOL! My husband says it's dumb, but I said just because she doesn't have claws, she still has scratching instincts. At least she can't damage anything. I felt guilty about the idea of declawing her, but when she had claws, she liked to lounge on my desk chair, with a paw sticking out, wait for my daughter to walk past, and then lean over, and scratch her right through her shirt. After that, I knew I had to declaw her. That cat is one mean b---- sometimes, LOL!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Wow, I just breathed a big sigh of relief on your behalf. That's great news the he's getting a job back.

And so sweet of your boss's mom!

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Joymama said...

Yay to the flowers! Yay to hubby's job! Yay to the new therapist! Yay to you!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

So happy to read this update. What a relief that the stars are aligning in your favor now.

My verification word is txosoxp. toxo-socks-pee?

11:04 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

And you were worried you'd have nothing to blog about for awhile :) I'm so glad things are starting to look up! I have to agree, TOTTPB's mom has class! Job well done Bezzie!! Have a great weekend :)

1:46 PM  
Blogger Brena said...

Awesome... good news was bound to come! I love the flowers, when I had a desk it was my secret dream that I would get flowers delivered one day.

Maybe DrMS will like the new assignment more than his last!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Nice flower arrangement! It's nice to get a surprise sometimes huh! :) Good to hear things are getting a bit better! Hoping that you do find a MC a LOT closer...geesh!

4:11 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Pretty flowers -- but great news about Dr. MS still having a job!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

wow! Mom has style. That's a very nice gesture. I had to hide the last batch of flowers in the guest room to keep them away fromt he jumping machines I call cats...

7:44 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Nice flowers and TOTTPB's mom was very thoughtful to send them. I'm glad to hear Dr. Mad Scientist will have a job again...maybe you can start breathing a bit easier.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

yay, what a kind gesture! I love old ladies, they gots class! Glad things are looking up for your fam too...

4:33 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

Bezzie, I'm sicker than a frickin' dog, and feel like a dump truck ran over me, but reading this has made me so happy for you and your family. I'm so happy, I'm crying happy tears for you.

This made my day!

((Hugs))

Kay

8:55 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Can't wait to see what you add to your shop! Glad things are working out and that Dr. Mad Scientist has a job! Wahoo!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

This is great news girl! I'm out of work too and I didn't even have a sip. Just trying to get to that better work place. To get recognized by the TOTTP's mom? Better than the boss himself! Brava!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Very happy to read this post. It's about freaking time some good things start coming your way. You deserve it!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Yay for beautiful flowers and good news on Dr. Mad Scientist's side of things. It's about time for some good news!!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Didn't I tell you not to count out Mt. Sinai? When compared to dealing with the residents who are stealing (and using) pharmaceuticals, Dr. MS is nothin'. Of course he still has to toe the line....

No, I'm not psychic...psycho perhaps!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Lovely flowers.
Some sort of job for DrMS
Not having to travel long distance once a week to see a spotty faced kid.

Good things happen in threes

TTFN

10:15 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Sweet! Hooray for the spring and all!

I also have to read your comments to see how much shit you get for your off the cuff declaw remark. Have you not read those threads on knittyboard? ;-)

10:59 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I was down about being back to reality after my vacation, but uplifted by catching up on your posts! I'm so happy to here that DMS will have a job.

The flowers were a very nice touch from, what sounds like, a very nice lady.

Cary & Mika say, "no declaw, move the flowers!"

1:42 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

I don't get on the computer for a weekend and look what I miss!

WOOHOO on DrMS still having a job. That's huge.

Love the flowers. It's a shame people today don't have the manners and decency that TOTTPB's Mom has. Must be a generational thing. It was very nice of her to thank you for the work you did. You deserve it!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

So glad to hear things are finally beginning to turn around in your favor.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Good news. Even if they hand him a mop and a broom, he'll be lucky to have that job.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Francy said...

Hi!
Nice Blog!
Change Your Life Today What has drug abuse done to your life? Are you overwhelmed, confused, out-of-control? Looking for a Drug Rehab Treatment?

Drug addiction is something that is not planned. A person struggling with drug addiction changes. They don't seem to be the person they used to be. In dealing with an addict, the drug becomes the deciding factor for all aspects to their life. An addiction Drug Rehab program is the farthest thing from their mind. Family, work, friends are all damaged by the addiction. It isn't hopeless and it doesn't have to be. The drug rehab program at Synergy Treatment's drug rehab facility is always here for drug rehab help.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Flowers always make life feel a bit better.

I am glad things are looking better.

You've been through a tough go.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home