Thursday, March 13, 2008

I Have To Admit It's Getting Better

On Tuesday I was stricken/struck/bowled down with the crud that had been slowly making it's way around the office.

I honestly cannot tell you the last time I called in sick prior to Tuesday. Does the six weeks of maternity leave I took when I had Chunky ripped from my loins count?

Was I really that sick that it would be the first time in how many years I've been on the joe-job-train that I felt I could call in?

No, not really.

However, I sure as hell wasn't faking it. I felt like someone put me in a burlap bag and beat me with reeds. It hurt to move my eyeballs and my neck was getting sore from having to move my head in all directions in order to prevent my eyeballs from having to rotate in their sockets.

All the way into school to drop Chunky off I debated with myself:

"I can still move around, I could last 9 hours at work."

"Yeah, but I feel like something crawled into my skull and died..."

Finally, as I was sitting on the overpass near the Watchung Exit on the GSP at a red light with the sun in my eyes making my eyes water (for my poor sore eyeballs were also very sensitive to light), it hit me.

Why the hell NOT call in?

In reading my mini-library of self-help books dealing with living la vida borracha a hallmark of a codependent (god, I hate that word--so damn overused!) is thinking that stuff like your spouse, kid, job, etc. can't function without YOU there.

Shiiit.

So even though it was a small step, New Bezzie decided to be a man and call in sick.

And I crawled back into bed under my electric blanket and slept for three hours. And it was everything I thought it could be!

This seems like such a simple thing to do for many of you reading. I'm sure if you work outside the home, it may seem ordinary to call in sick when you're sick. For me though it involves a whole thing about letting down my bosses, falling behind in my work, and blah, blah, blah.

I'm happy I called in sick.

When I came in on Wednesday I came to find out that the girl I sit next do and the girl who sits behind her were both out on Tuesday too.

We probably all cross contaminated each other.

Now I'm feeling much better. I just have a lovely lingering hacking cough that flares up when I'm lying down trying to sleep or when I have to move around a lot.

And if I hear one more person ask me why I don't go see a doctor to get antibiotics, I will kill them. The last time I checked, the cold virus was still a VIRUS.

After hacking around the office a couple of days, I can completely see why bacteria is becoming resistant to antibiotics. Yikes.

So did you make it this far through a knitting-less (there's knitting in the hopper--I swear!) pictureless post?

Shall I reward you with a link to a hilarious website someone turned me on to?

Sure, why not. But click only if you can take a joke. Some might find it offensive.

Me, on the other hand--I had to stop reading it it was making me laugh and thus cough so hard I was starting to gag from all the laugh-coughing.

Now you KNOW you want do click don't you?

Labels: ,

27 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

My sick days are usually used up when someone else in my house is sick. I wish we had more sick days...then maybe I could take off when I'm sick too.

Glad you're feeling mostly better.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oh my! I just read some of that blog and it's hysterical! Especially since I am married to a white man! LOL

8:02 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

When I first discovered the blog you link to, I immediately thought of you when I read "threaten to move to Canada."

Hmm...I like your take on sick days. In Atlanta, I had to leave work due to feeling sick and vomiting (two separate days--the first time I was smart enough to leave work before I vomited. The second time, I barely made it to the bathroom). But, you know what? I felt horrible for leaving work. And why?

-T.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I don't even work outside the house and I can't give myself a sick day! The world will stop spinning if I take care of myself first ;-)

Although my 80 minute massage today was really nice, and I let my husband pick up the kids while I lingered over lunch... my testosterone levels must be rising or something...

8:26 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Sometimes, you have to do the other people on the train/at work a favor by not infecting them with the creeping crud. It's an act of kindness.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Get better soon! I always end up cleaning my house if I call in sick - it is like I feel guilty for being home.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Oh yeah, I had to click. Way bizarro, that blog.

Adn I would much rather someone call in sick than come in and give me the crud.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Aimee said...

Good for you!

I have a big corporate job working for the man - but I work from home about 99% of the time now in prep for the move, so when I get sick, I figure I should suck it up since I work from the house and really should just work anyway. I too came down with the sickness this week and my boss told me to take the rest of the day off - at like 11 am. Because I was THAT sick she could tell. Sometimes we have to remember it is more important to be nice to ourselves and not spread our germs to the rest of the population (when I was still working in the office I frequently threatened to wear a surgical mask in since all these people come in sick with their germs and I was catching EVERYTHING! stupid lupus!)

10:06 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

OH, the laughing/coughing thing really sucks. I had that about 10 days ago. It's finally just about gone.

I'm glad you took the day off. I'm glad you used it to actually sleep!
Off to look at the funny site...

11:27 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Glad you are feeling better! That link is quite funny. I'll have to read on!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Hooray for your first sick day! Glad you're feeling better.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

Oh my the gentrification one is a woot! I KNOW people who have done just that.

Hee hee, there is no way I would ever live in Canada!! I am too cold in the mid-west as it is :)

I'm going to have to link to that site. It is hilarious!

Glad you are feeling a bit better.

Kay

8:04 AM  
Blogger peri said...

Great link - I never knew my husbands family had spread so far!

Hope the cough clears soon.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous amy said...

Feel better soon! I'm with you on the antibiotic thing. That could be used on the blog you linked. So funny I almost peed my pants(side affect to giving birth twice)

9:39 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Glad you are feeling better - and glad you took the day off.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

That website's hilarious! Get well!

10:01 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I used to be reluctant to call in sick, too, but then I realized that my illnesses go away quicker if I take a day off early on in it. Something about rest being good for it. My last one didn't work like that though -- I was out sick for 3 days!

I need to check out that blog. I'm afraid of the time-suck it would be, 'cuz I have tons of filing to do.

10:15 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

What Batty said.

Glad you're feeling better! That website is hilarious!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Codependent! Codependent! Codependent! I understand if you shout that three times while looking in the mirror, Robert Downey Jr. will magically appear to guide you sardonically through your 12 steps.
My problem with the word is that I always thought that is what 'marriage' means, you are co-dependent on one another to get through this misery of life.

Your flu is exactly what we had. I am still coughing and it was what Feb. 20th? when I first realized how sick I was because when I washed my face the water felt like acid in my eyes? (Aches and pain are part of my everyday life, so it takes burning eyes and a 101 temp to really grab my attention.

Get well. Embrace the hack.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Oh mags-you kill me!
I've been reading that blog for awhile, I loved the one on shorts because thats what happens here if the temp is above 30!
You know what? Take the whole week off! You deserve it!

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope that you are better there. Yes I could not resist that click!! I didn't laugh myself off my sitting ball....I guess that I don't get that blog. Some of the stuff the person was putting out is true there are people that think that way. And the shorts entry was just sooooooo true!!! How many times in below zero up here do we see "White Kids" wearing shorts?
Get better there and if you need a note from your Mommy I will gladdly e-mail one to your boss. Love, Mom

12:12 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Congratulations on being sick! I left yesterday at noon, and called in this morning. It was the first time in YEARS that I've missed a day of work. (Other than strep, but for that I still had to drag my ass to the Dr's every morning to confirm I was really, truly, unfit for duty.)

And, while feeling like a snot monster has invaded my head and beat my entire body, that whole calling in thing was good! Even if I do want to sneak in tomorrow to see what I missed... ;)

12:47 PM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

Well, I was going to link to that site, but the more reading I did, the worst the blog because - rankiness wise! :)

3:57 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Good for you for finding your balls and calling in! It's the over achiever in us women that think we can't take the supercape off for one damn day.

I hope you're feeling better!

8:22 PM  
Blogger maggie said...

Hope you're feeling better. Put on a pair of shorts and get outside!

I think I'll put on my north face jacket, grab a sigg bottle and go meet up with my gay latino/white friends with kids. (it's sad, because I can do that. I'm SO white...) I would, but I'm recovering from a bug here as well. I always get sick on Saturday, which is so unfair.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I am so glad you did take a day off.

Curling up under that electric blanket was just what you needed and see the world was okay!!

Good for you!

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

I feel guilty when I'm not at work either. Same reasons as you. Especially since my boss tends to depend on me like I'm a third leg. LOL

BTW, thanks for the link. There goes a half hour!

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home