Thursday, March 27, 2008

Neuro Constipation

Last night, I couldn't get to sleep at all (no, no, no!).

I was mentally constipated.

I figure if you can have diarrhea of the mouth, you can get constipation of the mind, right?

For the record, I would never wish real constipation on even my worst enemy. Give me diarrhea any day!

But back to my brain.

I kept waking up with this idea I was thinking about when I went to sleep. It's something I want to make. It involves sewing. (I've fallen under the spell of the Beast! Jeebus have mercy on my soul!)

But I have so much to do before I can start a new project.

I've got the ugly rotten watermelon bag.

100_5649

This started as a tongue-in-cheek-RAK, but the thing is so large and so monstrous and unwieldy that it would be a RAU to give it to someone.

Plus I effed up on the handle placement and I didn't feel like ripping back.

I'm still plugging away on mom's boob too. I've hit the point where I have to make it a triangle and I'm still simmering on how I'm going to do that without losing the boobness of the boob.

And I've just turned the heel of my second lunchtime knitting sock in the Lone Star Arts officially named "Go Spurs Go" color (or the unofficially named "Hurl Yourself Off a Bridge New Jersey Winter Sky" color). (As a side note, Amanda's gone electric--you can check out her roving offerings now at Loopy Ewe.)

I too have gone electric. But more on that later when I actually plug in. That's all I'll say about that for now.

April 1st is also around the corner and faithful readers and fiber pervs know what that means. I've got a lot of fodder for this year's installment and my 90 minutes in the car each day has allowed me to storyboard it all in my head. God bless New Jersey for shitty commutes.

And finally, my knitting Fairy Godmother (thank you to whoever you are) waved her wand and made this appear in my mailbox yesterday.

100_5652

I spoke a little while ago about how I thought Vogue Knitting interested me more than Interweave Knits.

After reading this issue it hit me.

Vogue inspires me more than Interweave does. Vogue has some kooky shit in there--I mean you saw the Adult Nipple Hat I posted, yikes!

Their stuff is edgy and different. Edgy and different inspires me.

IK (at least the couple of years I've been poking through it) isn't as edgy.

The only thing I've ever attempted to knit from IK was the Corded Yoke Pullover (which subsequently turned into the Cold Shoulder sweater when I didn't feel like knitting 8 yards of i-cord). I liked that sweater because it was different and kind of weird. Do you know how many times a finished Corded Yoke Pullover shows up in The Place That Shall Not Be Named?

Zero times. (Almost makes me want to start casting on some i-cord!)

But I guess you could say Vogue is considered a "fashion" magazine and IK is not. It's like comparing Pop Rocks to Skittles. They're both candy but they're quite different.

But back to where I was going with this--there is a sweater in this VK issue--the sweater on the furthest right here--

fashion02

that has inspired me to knit myself a similar sweater. It's not totally original what I'll be doing, but I want to do it.

And I want to do it now!

That's where the mental constipation comes in. The ideas are there, but I've got too many other projects going on right now to make these new un-pooped ideas come out.

I suppose I'll just have to eat a mental bran muffin and finish up the rotten watermelon bag, mom's boob, and the Go Spurs Go! socks first.

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger janna said...

I like looking at Vogue Knitting, but rarely see anything I would actually be able to make and have it look like I want it to look....

9:55 PM  
Blogger Red Dog Knits - Kristi and Otis said...

Never been a fan of IK myself - if anything, Vogue makes me feel I'm a bit closer to an actual runway catwalk instead of my reality of stained sweats and poop.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

I like Vogue better than IK, but Vogue has way too many errors in it. I have stopped my subscriptions to both about a year ago. I figure I can always pick on up at Walmart or Hobby Lobby if I really see a pattern that I might want to knit.

I really like all the sweaters you have shown from Vogue. They are all pretty.

I cannot wait to see what you have been sewing!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Mental constipation, huh?! I laughed out loud when I read that, LOL! : )

Did you say 90 minutes in the car??? And you drive, right, ? so you can't knit either. Well, I've seen people doing all sorts of crazy things while driving, so maybe I should take that back... I don't think I could stand a commute like that every day. I guess when I feel lousy about living in Cleveland, I think about how we really don't have much traffic congestion, compared to other cities, and maybe that'll cheer me up, LOL!

Go ahead and start a new, fun project - you deserve it! I personally like the sweater in the middle - it's so pink! I'm a sucker for all things pink...

7:58 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

What was it yesterday? I couldn't think, either!

I've made tons of things from VK over the years, but Interweave just doesn't inspire, you're right.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

My poor brain has ben on vacation all month.
I like Vogue because it inspires me to try something similar instead of being a straight pattern book, both of which totally have their place in my world. Wacky knitted stuff? Yep makes me want to dig in and try something wacky myself.

I like the watermelon. Imagine how many groceries you could fit in there, it would be too heavy to even carry

8:27 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

Man... now I've got the electric slide in my head.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

8:49 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

If you think the bag is too big you could felt it. Kureyon takes a while to felt but you could probably shrink it by a third.

i see what you mean about vogue. I do enjoy looking through the pages more than IK lately.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I actually like the middle sweater.

Can't wait to see the finished watermelong bag.... :)

9:31 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i feel like that too. i have all these mental plans for spring/summer knits, but i'm still flogging away at the unfinished winter ones. at least the weather is "cooperating" with the new dose of snow.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

eat your veggies first(finish wips) then you get some dessert(new project)
I get spending constipation, when ever I have no money I find a zillon things I want to buy, but when I actually get some cash to spend on me,( which BTW is NEVER) I get all constipated and can't buy anything. then I usually blow it on grocerys and then find the perfect yarn I should of bought instead.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Start the new sweater!!! My boobie can wait a while longer. Besides, no play makes Jack a dull boy! Sometimes I wish that I could finish just one quilt!!! No I am not going to tell you how many quilt tops I have....lets just say if they were all finished we could turn the heat off on the coldest AK winter night!!!! Love, Mom

12:02 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

cpurls's .02: finish the boob, screw the bag (if you're not feelin' it, don't waste your time on it) and make yourself a lovely sweater.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

yeah, I went from forcing myself to finish a project before casting on a new one, to casting on 5 different things. Now they are all in a state of half-hearted, half-finished incompleteness... oh well!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Watermelon has lots of fibre, right? So it should be just the thing to get the cork out.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

~snort~ I'm envisioning a first time reader reading how you're plugging away at mom's boob.

6:26 PM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

I think that IK is something that inspires tweaking of patterns, wheras VK is something that inspires new ideas.

7:00 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

that looks like it's make a nice felted bag!

vogue doesn't do anything for me the past year or so at least

8:42 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

I can't wait til April 1st Bezzie!!!

I hear you on the mental constipation...good for you for not casting on right away, but maybe just finish one project and then cast on!

12:35 AM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Oh, I really like the sweater on the far left and on the far right. And maybe even the middle one, if I didn't have boobs or an ass or hips or... I'll look forward to seeing what you'll do with the inspiration. I agree with you about Vogue vs. IK. But I still haven't knit much from either one.

Here, have some fiber.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I like the sweater in the middle too, though it would never look like that on me.

I love big bags. Hubby says I would carryeverything I own if I had a purse large enough. He's right. The bigger the better!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I think the bag is nice but I understand how it is when your making something that you just want done.

I have looked at the Vogue knitting a few times. Maybe it has been the issues I have stumbled upon but I didn't really see much I liked.

I do like the middle sweater as well.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home