Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow

Yesterday was some GREAT weather!!

Torrential downpour all day long!

Then at 7:00 p.m. as I was ready to go out to do the laundry (at the laundromat) the wind kicked up.

It kicked up big time. It was Palmer-Alaska-Strong wind.

I say this because Lower 48 people don't experience wind like Palmer gets very much. You see Palmer is in the base of a valley. Cold air off the Matanuska Glacier sinks into the valley causing winds to commonly gust up to 60 mph. It's a way of life there.

Here, when the wind gusts that much, it's cause for wind advisories and freakouts.

But the freakout was justified last night.

With the hours of rain coming down like a cow peeing on a flat rock, it softened the ground. Add in a little wind and you get what I saw at 7:00 p.m. out the window.

That would be a large flash and that sickening sound of an electrical transformer blowing. Then our power went out.

But then it came right back on. (Remember this.)

I skipped doing laundry when I realized what caused the transformer to blow.

It was clearer in the daylight.

100_5556

100_5557

Oh man. That poor Corolla owner.

But thank Squashola for the Corolla. Had that car not been parked there--the pacifists living in the home across the street would be suffering some serious damage to their over-priced shoebox home (it was up for sale this summer and I can confidently say that $389,000 for a 2 bedroom house on a postage stamp lot is a rip off).

While we were outside surveying the damage, we overheard our neighbors bitching about the power company having promised to have restored the power by 6:00 a.m. this morning. By 6:00 a.m. this morning they bumped the deadline to 2:00 a.m. Monday morning I guess.

At first we thought because we were on a corner lot, we weren't effected by the outage (although our lights still went out when the tree came down).

But then we found something in the yard we had never paid attention to.

100_5555

Nice! The benefits of living with an invalid landlord downstairs! Hug an elderly person today--they've made my weekend with flowers and power!

The po-po blocked off the road which was nice. No jackasses from the Boobie Bar using our driveway to turn around all day.

100_5558

And about 12:00 p.m. a cherry picker came to shave the tree.

100_5559

A few hours after the cherry picker shaved the tree leaving just a long stump and a pile of branches, the township "Tree Department" came to the rescue.

100_5564

At first I didn't think a front-end loader would do much good picking up tree branches and that the guy was just getting his rocks off being able to drive over and over the pile of branches.

But it became clearer that he was smooshing the branches down into more manageable pieces so he could load them into the dump truck. (Although I'm sure he still got his rocks off driving over the pile of branches over and over!)

100_5572

After the branches were cleared away, they used the loader to push up the long stump so Corolla owner could move his car.

Yes! It still moved!!!

Then Paul Bunyan whipped out his chainsaw and started working on the large stump.

100_5588

TIMBER!!!

100_5589

Check out the split-second timing on my camera-finger there--the stump is just about to hit the ground!!

Now it's 6:30 p.m. and Chunky just relayed that they're just sweeping up the sawdust.

Thankfully no one was hurt, except for the Corolla. But like I said, thank god that Corolla was there!!!

In like a lion for sure!!!

Labels: ,

32 Comments:

Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

That's some great photo journalism you got goin' on there. I'm just glad it wasn't your car!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I bet all the skate boarders and bikers were thrilled to have a new ramp to sail off on!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Imagine if that tree had fallen toward the house on the same side of the road... that's what happened to my folks when I was in college. I remember being on the phone with my dad until he said, "uh, Liz, I gotta go... a tree just fell on the house!". Crazy times in NJ.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Never a dull moment, eh?

The thing is, all those Palmer AK trees have evolved for regular exposure to 60 mph winds. But the wimpy NJ trees haven't.

Thank goodness for the generator and thank goodness he wired the whole house into it.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Oof. Friends of ours had a tree fall on their house shortly before Christmas. Similar situation - lots of rain, followed by high winds. They are finally starting to get things rebuilt.

Thank goodness for the Corolla AND the generator!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Holy cow! Thank goodness for the Corolla and the generator!

6:47 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Dude, that's awesome! I bet Chunky was entertained all day.

We got snow in Cincinnati. Lots and lots of snow. I've officially experienced a "Level 3 Snow Emergency." Good times.

-T.

6:50 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I'm going to start marketing a new bumper sticker:

"Save a house. Buy a Corolla."

6:59 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Great photo essay! I got stuck in that rain coming home from the grocery store yesterday and it freaked me out - my windshield wipers were going as fast as they could and it was still as if someone was pouring buckets of water over my car.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

How cool is all of that! Some twisted part of me can now see the beauty of destruction, having been surrounded by it for the last few years ;-)

Our neighbors have a generator- that sucker is some noisy, how did you never hear it before? Maybe because we stare out the window and look at two of those lovelies, one that flooded, another up on blocks, the new working one. Theirs tests every week and it sounds like a huge truck in our kitchen.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Nice pics! You get alot of action from your window.

That wind scared the crap out of me. I was driving back from the Meadowlands last night about 10 and the wind was insane. My mom's teensy Hyundai was blowing back and forth. I hate to drive, especially on a highway I'm not familiar with.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Amysatx said...

Whoa! Who needs cable TV when you've got that happening??!!!

8:16 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oh wow!! Great pictures! Great that you had that generator and you didn't even know it :)

8:21 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Look at that sidewalk! Wow!

9:30 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Oh -- and did you hug your landlord? ;-)

9:32 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Wow girl, you have excitement whereever you go. And I agree that you are quite the photojournaler - you should get a job at the local paper!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Holy crap on a piece of toast!!! How does a tree just get uprooted like that?!? Seriously! Although, how many folks can go into their insurance company and say that a tree fell on their car.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

It was the same weather down here too, it was crazy. I was a moron and went to a LYS sale and got soaked to the skin.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

YEY OLD PEOPLE!

YEY 'Rollas!

Yey to quick clean ups!

I'm glad that the tide is turning for you, cuz you know, before your last post I almost expected for the tree to be leaning on your house, and that just would have been too much for me, if I were you. But you are some kind of strong, woman.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Maybe I should get a Corolla. There's an ivy covered really tall dead tree between our house, and our neighbor's. One really big blast of wind and one of us is gonna get this tree as an uninvited tenant. Time for hubby to get a chainsaw.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Not to get on your hard ass Palmer Alaska chops, but..

...I live in the lower 48 and we get 60 mph damaging winds regularly. Every time a storm blows around in California, we get damaging winds in the Las Vegas valley. My mesquite tree out front has been down no less than 3 times. There is a reason there are no indigenous trees here.
Great blog fodder, BTW

10:22 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Fantastic action news style post.

If I was Chunkie that would have made my year.

Bad news for the car but good news for the postage stamp rip off.

As for hugs, well I could hug you for an excellent post, your landlord for planning ahead and the UPS generator cuz I just like gadgets.

chin chin

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! That was sooooo cool!!! Now I see why Chunkie didn't call yeaterday....He was too busy!!! Call your utilities if you have a tree that is going to come down, sometimes they will take them down for free. How many did we have taken down? The first summer we were in this house one of the front trees was blowing over and right into the power lines. They don't clean them up, but at least they cut them down before anything can get ruined.
Great story!! Love, Mom

12:11 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

Wow! Quite an adventurous weekend... and glad things were less damaging than they could have been.

We had pretty strong Santa Anna winds in CA, the kind that could knock you over. But they were warm and I rather enjoyed them. It felt like you were walking into the stream of a hair dryer.

12:37 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Wow, what terrific news reporting--it was almost like being there!

Seems like the California contingent has reported in about the Santa Anas. When I was a kid I thought it was the Santana Winds's and couldn't figure out why they'd name winds after a rock group.

Oh and $389,000 for a 2 bedroom house on a postage stamp lot would be a bargain house here.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, that's sure fortunate that tree didn't fall on someone's house!

Well, here in the Cleveland area, we had 66 degree, sunny weather on Monday, an ice storm on Tuesday/Wednesday, a little snow on Thursday, and then Friday/Saturday we got our first true blizzard in 15 years - my house is surrounded by 18 inches of snow. : ( And we're supposed to be on the cusp of spring? Ha!

I worked for a mortgage company for 5 years, reviewing files for loans that we bought from other banks, and I'm still amazed at how expensive housing is in other parts of the country.

One of my older sisters lives in a new, 3000+ square foot, 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, 3.5 car garage, on 5 acres of land, in an exclusive semi-rural/semi-surburban town about 40 miles from Cleveland, and her house cost less than $250,000. I guess our low cost of living here in the Cleveland area is our meager compensation for all the other crap we have to put up with, LOL!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Exciting doin's fer sure.

We had a giganormous blizzard. I'm still digging out today. Yuck

1:58 PM  
Blogger buttercup said...

The last time I looked my 2 bdr, 2 bath CONDO was $265,000. NJ real estate prices are insane.

Cool about the tree and the car and all the excitement around your hood. We didn't have any tree mishaps, but the wind loves to slam into my building and shake the windows. I don't mind it so much but the cats hate it.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

You sure live in an exciting neighborhood! Expensive, but exciting :)

7:07 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Yikes. What a mess! Glad that wasn't your car.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Wow that is a big tree.

Great photo essay!

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home