Monday, March 24, 2008

Weird Things

A while ago when I had nothing witty to say, Marie Grace tagged me for one of those "Seven Weird Things About You" memes.

Ah, but you know me, I can't a.) follow instructions and b.) post a post without pictures.

Instead of seven weird things about you, I'm going to give you four weird things that have been kicking around my head lately--fully illustrated of course for those of us that have a hard time with text heavy posts.

1. Why Only The Dime?

Have you noticed when people post pictures of their handspun yarn, they wedge a dime under the yarn to show you the weight (the thickness or thinness) of their resulting yarn? Why a dime? Why not a penny? Or a nickle? Or my beloved quarter, bringer of the clean underpants?

100_5648

It's not like US dimes are universal and someone in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, is going to know "Ah! That's a thin sock-like yarn spun to about the width of a tenth of a rupee!" (Ok, I made that up, a Sri Lankan rupee is about 36.8 mm, the American dime is much smaller.)

2. Croqui! Croqui!

Do crocuses (croqui?) get any bigger than this?

100_5641

Or are they just midgety little flowers that give us a sense of hope that spring is right around the corner before they die?

3. Fight, fight. We fight all night.

They fight all damn night but it's ok to near-snuggle on the bed when mommy and daddy aren't trying to sleep in it. Why is this???

100_5640

Actually this is probably a sign of the Apocalypse. These cats are never seen this close together--thus the reason I had to take a picture to record this momentous occasion.

4. Ya Pansy!

I actually thought of this one when I was sitting outside the Marriage Shrinker's office (it's official--she IS a shrinker) with Dr. Mad Scientist. We got their a little too early and sat in the parking lot watching men walk in and out of the Yoga Den that is next door to the Shrinker Shack.

The building was chock full of therapists, and shrinks, and one place that burned stinky incense and was called The Body Mind Connection or something. I'm glad we'll only be going to see Shrinky Dinky Do every other week. I'd have to whiten my teeth and take up ironing if I spent more time in that part of Montclair.

But back to the pansy.

Watching the Yoga Den Dudes I couldn't but wonder why we call effeminate men "pansies."

Pansies are actually very sturdy and hearty flowers.

100_2550

They can withstand lots of wild weather swings.

So why using their name as a derogatory term?? Poor pansies getting put down like that.

Thank goodness they can take the punishment.

Labels:

25 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Pansies get a bad rap man. But they're so pretty and hardy! And better yet, cheap as hell! I can fill up a big ass pot with just a few plants. And they last so long.

7:19 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Yeah, I'm with you on the pansies. I love all the colors and they withstand cold better than almost any flower and they are edible.

I did the coin thing once with my handspun, but I did use a penny. I think a dime might reflect too much flash.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

I don't know about the cat thing. Are they stoned? Have they been into the 'nip?

7:59 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

Ironing is the devil.

This post reminds me of Seinfeld - a show I watch regularly because a) being from the UK, I'm still catching up, and b) it was a great show.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

A glimpse into the Mind of Bezzie!

My cat is normally a good sleeper-cat, but last night, she was driving me NUTZ! I had to boot her out of the room, and then she scratched at my door for over 20 mins until I let her back in. All this between 3:30 and 5 a.m. Grrr.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Its been ages since I had cats, but when we first got the 2nd one, they fought something fierce. Eventually, they learned to lvie with each other. I like pansies. They are good at shopping.

8:47 PM  
Blogger janna said...

There's been a truce at my house, too (although they don't normally fight, just hiss a bit). And, yeah -- you're right about the pansy thing!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

the kitties fight when you are trying to sleep because they each want the "good spot" near mommy or daddy. When you are not in the bed, the point is moot....

10:01 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

LOL about the pansies! : ) Pansies are actually my most favorite flowers. My dad used to buy me flats of pansies every year when he was alive. I really miss that. You sound like me when I get worked up (not really, I just tell the kids this) about how cats are made to look dumb on TV - I told my daughter I'm going to start a letter-writing campaign to protest the negative portrayal of cats on TV, LOL! I mentioned this to one of my older sisters, who usually pretty serious, and she thought it was the funniest thing. Your cats remind of my other sister - she has a cat, her fiancee ha a dog, and since they've been living together, it's been non-stop fighting between the cat and the dog. I told her now she sees what I go through with my son and daughter (different genders + a 5 year age difference = a whole lot of aggravation for mom and dad). : )

10:29 PM  
Blogger KnitterBunny said...

I want some midgety crocuses to bloom. I barely have any green growth.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I guess calling effeminate men "pansies" is on par with calling a coward a "chicken." Chickens do run, but if confronted, they'll fight. I've seen chickens being pretty aggressive - nothing cowardly about those hens!

11:10 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Look at those kitties! Its as if they know you are going to go talk smack about them on the blog :) Cute though they are :)

12:28 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

That's a gorgeous photo of the pansy.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

Yes, crocus will forever be small. I love them and grape hyacinths because they are always the first things to bloom in the early spring!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

I love pansies! And I have to look fast to see the crocuses, before the bunnies come and bite off their little heads.

8:25 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i'm jealous that you have flowers. even frozen ones.

9:38 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

1. I've never done the coin thing with my handspun. I'm so happy to have made yarn that I just take the picture.

2. Crocuses just sprout, live for two weeks, and die. They're like butterflies.

3. My cats fight and make out all night.

4. ZMrK's favorite flowers are panies. Take from that what you will.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! This is an interesting post!
I don't know why spinners use a dime to show their newly spun wonders. Does everyone have a coin that is the size of a dime?
Those crocus sure look nice! I have started a few flowers inside...YES I am dreaming of warmer weather!
As for the cats....there was a full moon here not too long ago could that be the day that they were being nice to each other?
Yes, Pansies do and can take a lot of abuse. But they are no match to the chick weed in my flower garden!! Love, Mom

11:47 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yep a crocus is a miniature flower, they don't even grow here, it's too hot. But they look like they should keep growing don't they?

I always think of a quarter to measure by, huh. I guess you could put a yardstick there but not everyone uses inches either...

2:51 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Pansies are like men in one way. If left to their own devices they sow seeds all over the place.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yeah, why is that with pansies? They also make lovely edible cake decor too. I too prfer the mighty quarter for sizing things up. I never try to size up a cat though, they baffle me to pieces. Love your yarn, you've gotten really good!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Snow said...

Well, I used a dime for my hand spun because all my quarters were fed to the washing machine earlier in the week.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

My totally random comment of the day - I'm so glad you have like 4 blankets on your bed. I regularly have at least three and sometime I feel weird about that. I don't know why. I'm glad other people are multi-blanket sleepers.

Oh - and if I had two kitties in my bed - there would be no room for me!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

yeah, pansies are tough stuff! wow, lots to process, like this makes me wonder why the sky is blue...

9:56 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Love the post!

I agree about the pansies.....they are the best flower ever and I look forward to them every year!

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home