Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Best Kept Secret

I did it.

Oye. I haven't spent this much money on something just for me in--well, never!!

Wait, I take that back, I guess you could count my phone bills from when I was dating Student Mad Scientist about a decade ago.

But it was my mini-bonus, and I was a good girl and put my Christmas bonus in our savings account last year. And lord knows I earned every penny of this mini-bonus--making dinner reservations and typing college essays and other weird tasks.

I bought a spinning wheel.

What kind of wheel?

A Fidelis wheel from Heavenly Handspinning.

Fidelis%20website
(Swiped from her site!)

These wheels are handmade by a lady in ATL (because that's what the cool kids call Atlanta) and I've read nothing but rave reviews of the few that are out there. And yes, I'll confess, I read said rave reviews of them on The Site That Shall Not Be Named. Maybe I should rename that site KnitterGoogle since that's all I use it for anymore--looking up shit.

I bought my spindle from her too.

I've never touched a wheel before in my life, but I already love this one so.

I know it's not for everyone--some people are turned off by the bike wheel or the single treadle. But would you buy your sixteen year old kid learning to drive a Rolls Royce?

Nah.

You buy them something affordable, not too ugly (because gah, you gotta look cool in your car right?) and reliable. This wheel fits all of those categories.

I was also drawn to her wheels when I read her "mission statement":

I began spinning (with a drop spindle) a couple of years ago and found myself really enjoying it. Wanting to try my hand at spinning with a wheel, my search for an affordable wheel began. To be honest, I was overwhelmed with the expense involved in purchasing a wheel. All I really wanted was a faster, some what simpler way of adding twist to wool roving, so that I could make yarn and enjoy the yarn more readily.
Good lord, she's a cheapass with a will to create a cheaper way to do things after my own heart!!!

Granted I think Babe Starter Wheels are similar in price to her Fidelis, but, and no offense to anyone with a Babe, I never thought those were pretty wheels. I wanted a wood one.

So there you have it.

My little beginner affordable beautiful wheel.

She should be here this weekend/early next week.

Labels:

42 Comments:

Blogger Amysatx said...

YAY!!! I'm so happy for you!! Happy Spinning!

6:27 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Well congratulations darlin'! Can't wait to see what comes out of that orifice!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Most Excellent! yay! I tpoo don't like the Babe. I am leaning towards a Lendrum, but only because Mr. Lendrum himself lives about a 10 minute drive aways from me! How cool is that?

Can't wait to see your wheel in action...

6:57 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Um, it's THE ATL.

Congrats on the wheel!

-T.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Nice wheel! I think bicycle wheels are a remarkable combination of utility and beauty - and I bet you won't have any the sorts of drive band slip problems so common with other drive wheels.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

yay!!!!!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

Very, very excited for you that you have bought something so wonderfully indulgent just for yourself. You deserve it.

I don't 'get' the spinning thing, like non-knitters don't 'get' knitting. But I'm a knitter, so I guess it's only a matter of time, right? ;0)

8:18 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Seeing that wheel almost makes me want to learn to spin. I love that it has a bike wheel on it. I really love that it doesn't look like a traditional wheel, which I think often look really stodgy. Happy spinning!

8:24 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I've seen that wheel and had a suspicion it was the one your were getting!

I love the way it looks and can't wait to hear about how it works. Congratualtions - you deserve a special treat just for you!

8:38 PM  
Anonymous knitting-cat said...

Good for you. I can't wait to see what you spin.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

go bezzie, get busy! you deserve it girl!! yay!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

oh yeah, and I thought the cool kids called it Hotlanta?

9:36 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yes, you do deserve it and it's perfect for you! Spin away! :) Look forward to your spinning posts. BTW, you'll be needing one of these! Just up your alley I think :)

10:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Good for you, Bezzie! Sounds like you worked hard enough to deserve it! : ) Hopefully the cat won't mess with the yarn as it comes off the wheel as it's done (does it come off? showing my ignorance of spinning here. I know how my cat loves to attack my yarn, and get cat slobber on it when I'm trying to roll it into balls.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

It's so exciting! You're going to have a blast!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

mCongratulations! :)

4:32 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I think it's rather cool. Nice to see you finally got that long deserved trophy!

5:54 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

The wheel looks great! I can't wait to hear more and see some spinning going on!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Oh, Bezzie, I think it's beautiful. I wish you much fun and happiness with your new wheel.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Red Dog Knits - Kristi and Otis said...

I know nothing about wheels but I love the bike wheel action!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

I think it's a fabulously cool looking wheel! I love the bike wheel - that's a pretty brilliant idea. (And I'm with you on the Babes. I don't think they are pretty either)

And you totally deserve something for YOU.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Congrats! I thought this was the one you were going to buy. :) Can't wait to see it in person (I hope)!

8:28 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

that's awesome. i had not heard of that company. congratulations!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Love your new wheel! It's just lovely ... and if I were in the market for a spinning wheel, I'd want one from someone with the same philosophy :).

9:05 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

You know I'm not about the spinning (even tho your sure you can get a drop spindle in my hands), but this wheel is really cool. Congrats on your purchase!

Do you want me to bring back some roving from MDS&W for you? If you do - PM me.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I can't think of anyone who deserves to splurge on something more than you. Enjoy your spinning wheel... I know you'll have all kinds of cheapass spinning tips by the end of the year!

Enjoy!!!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

I laughed when I saw the bike wheel and when you explained why- I knew that was a match made in heaven!

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Necia said...

Congrats Bez. You will love wheel spinning.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok first off a note from your Father..."Never thought that you would be such an old SPINster at such a young age!" I know, I know but your YYB is not in the house and someone has to relieve me of these PUNS!!!!

Now for my comment, That looks like one cool spinning wheel. I also like that mission statement. Can't wait to see the yarns coming off your wheel. Good Luck with it. Love, Mom

3:21 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Yay!! Good for you Bezzie!! Can't wait to see all the pretty things you shall spin for us to oogle and drool over!!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Congratulations!!! Your life will never be the same. I almost bought that wheel too. I read so many good things about it and I think it's pretty. I know you'll have fun.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I couldn't get the photo to load so I checked out the site. It's a beauty and looks easy to use. I think you'll have fun playing with it. As soon as I finish healing, I will be playing some more with mine. I didn't think it would be so hard to try to treadle with no abdominal muscles.

6:01 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

OMG! That wheel is SO you! Love that it uses a bicycle wheel!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Congrats on the wheel! I'm sure you'll conquer it quickly.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

That wheel looks great! I love the bike tire-spokeyness. So much that i just went to buy one before being pulled from the edge by a well timed (or poorly timed depending on how you look at it)creit card bill.

9:02 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

YAY! It's a pretty wheel! I'm so thrilled for you! Yay!!

9:58 PM  
Blogger yarnkarma said...

Hmmmm, Bezz....might need to see what tiny nugget of fiber I can find this weekend. Since i have absolutely sworn i will not go to the Dark Side & spin, i can shop vicariously for you:)

2:12 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

That's so cool! I've never seen on of those before!!!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Yay! It's beautiful. Very cool. I love the bike wheel.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Wahoo! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Your gonna have fun with that!

And congrats on spoiling yourself, you deserve it!

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool! i was looking at the same spinning wheel on etsy last night, and im in love!

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home