Friday, April 25, 2008

Chasing It.

What a busy mother friggin' week.

Monday I started work on a really big project I hope to have done by Christmas. If it turns out, I'll post it around then. But for now it's still in progress and you know me--no peeking!

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I was working my tail off at work. We had a huge brief due in a fairly amusing case.

Let's just say if I belonged to the union we're up against, I'd want them to reevaluate how my dues were being spent especially with regards to kooky-ass lawsuits. That's all I'll say about that.

Last night I worked until 11:45 p.m. helping my Big Boss get the brief out.

I'm exhausted!!!

Wednesday was also Paper Pusher Appreciation Day (hereinafter "PPAD") as my fellow office workers will probably know.

As such, my Big Boss got me a beautiful arrangment, and my Medium Boss and Little Boss teamed up to get me something that never arrived--I think it fell off the truck. I think the story of it not being delivered is more fun than any whatever it was could ever be. I just hope they get their money back.

The partners of the firm gave us all a nice little mini-bonus for PPAD which was awesome and totally unexpected.

I've decided I'm going to use it to buy a wheel.

Yeah I realize this post follows a post about being a Cheapass. But it's all about progress, not perfection right? (Ha ha, how I loath AA slogans, but will use them to suit my will. Take what you want, leave the rest--right? Someone stop me!)

So stay tuned for that.

It's not one of those mainstream wheels that cost a lot of money. It's comparable to a Babe in price, not as expensive as a Fricke and I love it so.

In the meantime I've been spinning this:

100_5770

It's a merino superwash batt in "Malachite" that I bought from The Ranches Angora. Spinning from a batt is a little different than the braids of stuff I've been working with previously, so it's not as even as I'd like, but I'm enjoying it.

Finally, in honor of the craziness going on in NYC today (I'm not sure where I stand on the whole thing but I do think 50 bullets seems a tad excessive and they should have at least been charged with the misdemeanors...)--have you seen the preview for the new Summer IK?

They feature Elizabeth Zimmerman's (as reinterpreted by her daughter, whom I hope has spawned a knitter herself to continue on in the tradition of garter stitched boxy classics and sucking on the proverbial EZ teat of beating the "classics" to death for fun and profit) Maltese Hats.

Maltese-Hats-9 Maltese-Hats-2Maltese-Hats-11

Is it just me or do you think this would be really easy to modify into a Klan hood?

I'm sorry, but unless you're the untoilet trained model in the above picture, a White Supremacist with a crafty streak, a gnome, or a White Supremacist gnome that poops his pants, this hat is not going to look good on you.

"Ma! Grab Junior and grab the knitted hoods! Let's go have us an old fashioned cross burning!"

Yick. How loathsome.

Although now that I think about it, EZ's Baby Surprise Jacket could easily be modified into a cross-cozy when you're in between hate crimes.

Labels: , ,

33 Comments:

Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Congrats on surviving crazy week! And a mini-bonus! How fabulous :) I'm sure well deserved and good for you for getting yourself a wheel! YAY!!

Those hats crack me up. Yeap, don't think Snowboarder would look cute in them!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Buying a wheel is an excellent cheap-ass thing to do. A well made wheel will provide you with hours and hours and hours of amusement. If you know where to look, you can find great bargains on fiber, and a wheel should keep it's value pretty well if you decide to sell it in the future. Spinning is so good for your psyche, you'll save tons of money on therapy or replacing damaged crockery (not like you strike me as the violent type, but one never knows...).

I hope you can enjoy a bit of downtime this weekend.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

The spinning looks great! A wheel is such a great investment and I know you'll love it. Spinning is so good for your soul and I've found it to be an instant mood changer.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I am discovering that a spinning wheel comes with a long, steep, learning curve. I bought a used wheel that is old and has almost no metal parts. Everything is wood or leather. It's beautiful and has lots of character. She sounds peaceful when the wheel is spinning until you listen to the words coming out of my mouth as I sit there with overspun wool that will not feed on the bobbin. It's only been one day. I guess I can't expect miracles.

8:33 PM  
OpenID bufanditas said...

Good for you for splurging on yourself.

Enjoy your weekend after such a hectic week. I myself wanted to walk out of the office screaming TGIF!!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oooh, lucky you to get a bonus! It's great that you have appreciative bosses.

Ha, ha, I never would have thought that about those hats until you mentioned it, LOL! There was just a story in my local paper about these two Ohio state troopers who took photos of themselves wearing homemade Klan hoods, and emailed them to a friend, who turned the photos in to their boss. What a bunch of morons - for thinking they were being funny or cute, and also not realizing emails can forwarded to anyone. They got demoted and transferred, but the governor stepped in and fired them (good!). Sounds like they would like those knitted hats, LOL!

11:49 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

What Elizabeth said about the wheel. It's good to do something for you.

I may never be able to knit an EZ pattern again without thinking of this blog post.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Poops said...

Bezzie's getting a wheel! She's coming over to the dark side! (I don't know what's dark about it, except for a steep learning curve and the near impossibility of undoing a mistake. Other than that...)

I always thought the baby surprise jacket was the ugliest sweater ever. I can see now it would go great with one of those hats, though.

5:27 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Whew! What a week you had! Congratulations on the bonus and the wheel though! I can't wait to see what kinds of stuff you whip up with it!

5:49 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Yeah, umm, those hat are just not cool.

Congrats on the bonus! Since it was unexpected money, I say spend it on yourself. Buy that wheel and enjoy it!

I also work at a law firm and we got diddly squat. Nothing. Nada. Zippo. Not even an acknowledgment of the day.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

Yay for the bonus!! That is excellent news. I can't wait to see what wheel you chose.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

I've never was crazy about EZ stuff.

Congrats. on the wheel! Cannot wait to see a picture.

RH Lindsay Wool -- Very inexpensive -- Check it out.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Amby said...

Hooray for a wheel! I can't wait to see what you get!!! :-)

8:10 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh this post has it all. Intrigue (big project?), celebration (a bonus and a wheel! Yay!) and hilarity (clan hood? cross cozy? BWAH HA HA HA!) The only thing it's missing is a sad story. Oh wait. You worked until nearly midnight last night. Yeah. I'd cry about that.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

You're bad, Bezzie ;)

8:43 AM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

"A White Supremacist gnome that poops his pants"

I think I'm poopin' my pants after reading this! Haha!

Hey, if you're getting a wheel, does that mean I can send you Corey the Cat! fur?

-T.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what kind of yarn are you going to be spinning? Great way to spend your mini-bonus!! What you have spun there in pretty good as far as I can see. Do you need any cat fur to spin? Pig sheads a LOT and can spare some.

Can't wait to see the BIG project.

Love, Mom

12:36 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Yay for a wheel's worth bonsus! You deserve it.

.

6:36 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I'm glad to hear you are putting the PPAD bonus towords something for you! At our office small flower arrangements were passed out. I'm looking forward to seeing what wheel you choose.

Those hats do look ridiculous, expecially on the adults.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Nicole said...

Hi! This is totally off-topic from your post, but I couldn't find your email address to email you privately.

As you likely know, Liz at Pocket Farm has shut down her blog and is no longer hosting One Local Summer. I'd like to host a Mid-Atlantic OLS at farmtophilly.com. If you're interested in participating, please let me know at nicole@farmtophilly.com and I'll include you on the mailing list!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

So glad you had a good Paper Pusher Day! Anything that helps with fiber-related purchases is good, yay for unexpected bonuses.

I... I thought those hats looked weird, but now that you mention it... urgh, I'll have to restrain myself when I see a person wear a white one or they may get smacked or something.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Good for you for buying yourself a treat with your hard earned money. You CERTAINLY deserve it.

And those hats...yikes.

8:22 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Nice PPAD stuff! Not that it's expected or anything, but it's really nice to know you're work is appreciated.

I got the same thing Christina did!

I never understood the love of the EZ pattern either. I do enjoy reading what she has to say about knitting.

Thanks for making me spit coffee onto the monitor.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Heh. I'm with you on that hat. :o)

9:55 AM  
Anonymous joymama said...

That bonus is some good karma coming thru! You've been so amazing thru all rehab and work stuff you are getting what you deserve. We're all happy for you.

The had does not do it for me either.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Laurah said...

Ha - I have to agree with you on the big white pointy hat thing!
I gave you the arte y pico award. Pass it on if you like! http://thekidneybean.wordpress.com/2008/04/26/atre-y-pico-award/

11:01 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Good for you for getting a wheel! Plus, once you amortize the cost over the hours spent knitting and producing your own yarn, it really is a great investment. (I apply this theory for just about everything I buy, as it works really, really well. ;))

4:51 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

IK is doing weird things lately. That hat is a bit peculiar.

The wheel sounds so exciting! I can't wait to see the miles of yarn you crank out!

6:55 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

ooh you could combine it with this ski mask to make a real klan hood!

http://www.stitchymcyarnpants.com/moks06/?p=223

i truly need an accessory to accompany the burning cross in my front yard. this might be the ticket.

are you getting a baynes? i like wheel guessing games.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

ROFL! I agree, bad hat! Bad!
Good for you treating yourself to a wheel. I can't wait to see what you get.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Nevis said...

Hullo! Great site! :) Love the way you write...

2:59 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Oh no. Bezzie dissed another knitting goddess- oh what oh what will the fall out be???? EZ will raise from the dead and choke you with a garter stitch....

4:33 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Was that the summer Interweave KNits? why hats? Why ugly hats? Very strange.

As for the shooting thing, Argh. And what wheel? I'm curious. I'm tempted myself to buy one, but keep waffling...

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home