Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Updates and Answers

It's a huge-ass post chock full of kootchies, dirt, feet, and sex!!

First up it's the 15th of the month meaning that aside from me having to make arrangements for my boss's taxes to be mailed today--it's time to unveil the April K.A.Y.E. prize.

100_5731

What the hell is it? It's a blank of yarn from Flat Feet! You start to unravel the blank and you start to knit or crochet directly off the blank. In essence it's like reverse frogging. There's enough here to make a pair of socks if that's your leaning. But think of all the other cool stuff you could make too!

The fun comes in that the pattern you see on the blank isn't going to be the pattern you're gonna get on the finished object.

I bought this from Yarny Goodness. Remember that name (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). Go check out her store. She's got some great stuff there.

Next up I'm going to do a couple of updates/question answering of some stuff that people have addressed in the comments, or I forgot to include in my posts.

The Alaska sock yarn bag I made for Mystery Sea Socker Person and Cpurl was made using the ever so easy and gaining popularity pattern found here. Even a sewing doofus like me was able to figure it out and come out with a decent (not perfect!) bag.

Shifting gears, let me assure you that I will be posting regular updates of my adventures in sock planting.

I'm not going to line the socks with plastic or anything--I'm just going to shove the dirt in there and like fat dirty flowery Christmas stockings they shall stradle my railing.

And Mom, you should know better that Dr. Mad Scientist realizes I'm a kook and could really care less that I'm growing flowers out of my socks!

Rolling with my homeys, people have inquired about my ghetto fabuloso compost bin.

I'll be straight, I stole the basic idea from this article about urban composting.

Last fall I bought a big rubbermaid box (set me back like $5 at Target if I remember rightly--I know I didn't pay full price).

100_4547

Then I took an old knife (again, cheap and didn't last very long--but still handy in many ways!)

100_4548

And I held it to the gas flame on our stove. The previous tenant ruined the stovetop. You'd think after you noticed the choreboy was scratching the surface of the oven you'd stop scrubbing and use something else--not continue to scrub ALL FOUR burners!

I flipped over the box and with the hot knife I cut drainage slits.

100_4549

I did the same to the lid--making them more like holes for my compost to breathe.

100_4550

Then I filled the bottom with shredded newspaper, then I basically put my pot garden to bed in the compost pile--I put all my excess potting soil in there along with my dead sunflower, tomato and oregano plants (yes, I realize now oregano is an annual!).

For the first half of the winter I saved my kitchen compost in an old Folgers coffee tub.

But it got stinky.

What I'd really love is one of these. My Aunt Jaywalker has one at her house and I fell in love with it when I first saw it. I love the way you can fill it completely and not have to take multiple trips to the bin due to the size. The charcoal filter in the lid cuts down on the smell (I tried smelling hers!). But $40 is a little steep.

Dr. Mad Scientist has mentioned that he might get it for me for Mother's Day though.

Speaking of smells, some people have asked if the bin is stinky.

I'll preface it by saying, I'm not a compost expert, but sofar so good. I think as long as you turn it regularly and don't put any meat or protein in there it'll be OK.

Of course ask me if it stinks the first time the temperature hits 95 degrees this summer!

Have you made it this far wondering when I was going to start talking about sex? Ha ha--sorry, no sex--but it got your attention didn't it?

Sucker!!

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger T. Budnik said...

FIRST!

Man, I just bought a plastic pot and put it at the bottom of my steps for a compost pile. I've only put apple cores and a couple of egg shells in there.

-T.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Who needs expensive, fancy compost thigies? Not when you can DIY for a fraction of the cost! And the sock saddlebags? Great idea.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Nell said...

Oh no! Oregano is an annual?!?!? Nuts...

8:25 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I didn't know oregano was an annual either. Learn something new everyday. That KAYE yarn looks great!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

How pretty that yarn is - I've never seen anything like that before!

You're one ambitious gardener, making your own compost and everything. Plus you know it's safe to use around the kid and cat - no chemicals.

I hear about the stove - I rent a house too, and I wonder about the people who used to live here before me - there was this huge, beat up wooden shelf on my daughter's bedroom wall when we moved in, and my husband took it down, and the wall underneath was painted a neon, chartreause (spelling?) green (the rest of the room was dusty blue - we ended up buying some matching blue paint and repainting the whole room). I can't imagine what the room must have looked like painted all in neon green.

Then we've found cigarette burn marks on these pretty white built in shelves in her room (I repainted those too), and on various parts of the wooden floors throughout the house, and on the kitchen vinyl flooring. It's amazing the previous tenants didn't burn the house down, LOL!

Our landlord bought the house in a sheriff's sale (the previous owners were foreclosed on), and he said they left so quickly, that they didn't have time to empty the kitchen cabinet drawers, so they just took the drawers with them. So now our kitchen has the original 1949 metal cabinets (very pretty - matches my 50's Formica table) on top, but newer wooden cabinets on the bottom.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Yeah, I was trolling for s*x and you burned me....And that flat yarn thingy- weird. I have NEVER saw anything like that before. huh.
Your shameing me into becoming a better green person, I'm kinda teflon right now.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't ever turned my compost pile but it is FREAKING HUGE!!! I will need to get a tarp or something and lift out the top portion and then remove the bottom and put the top things back in and the bottom on top of that.
Remember the tea kettle planter that I use that one year? Your father HATED it!!! I thought that it was really cute with the flowers in it. Oh! Well!
Yes, where is the s*x? Ok, Ok I'm a Dirty Old Lady!! Love, MOm

12:32 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I too, read through for the secs but am satisfied with the compost tips!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Indeed you are so clever. Great website, thanks for sharing! I would love to see the looks you would get from knitting socks out of a perfectly good piece of knitting!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Magatha said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

heh heh Sucker indeed ;-) Thanks for all the great links. I may be ready to roll on some os this stuff by next year!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I love yer urban compost experiment! and a woman who wants a compost bin for mother's day... wow! I think your socks will start to felt, and that will make it perfect!!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

So many deleted comments today Bezzie. The pervs are abounding!

BIG Thanks for posting the composting bit. The boys and I will be trying that.

Don't know about that yarn. Why knit it up only to frog it. Weird.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Darn..wished my appointment was this month. I think that sock fabric yarn is neat! Thanks for the info on the compost bin, coolness!

10:27 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Damn! I had my appointment this month but forgot to send my name in! Those yarn blankets are cool!

I can't wait to see the socks hanging up wiht plants!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

seriously, I was a lot more interested in the composting.


I went out and bought an official compost-bin. It's really too big for my apartment. It's equally gross & fascinating to me. I dump my veggie scraps in there regularly, and occasionally rake up the leaves and toss them in too. There needs to be some magical mix of 'brown' to 'green' matter... but I'm soooo not there. I just dump stuff in and stir it around from time to time.

I've got a full-on ecosystem going on in there though - the plant matter is covered in mold, then there are lots of worms & bugs crawling on everything... and then a few spiders have made their home towards the top - you know to eat up all the bugs. Fascinating I tell you... and really really gross.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

When we first moved into our house and decided to be organic gardeners (I hate the smell of the chemicals from the guy-down-the-street-with-the-perfect-lawn's house), we started a compost pile at the back of the yard. Someone stole it. Who knew South Jersey is such a hot bed of organic gardening that compost piles are not safe in their own yards?

1:48 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

great composter. I can't wait to hear hoe it goes!

Love that yarn too!

9:34 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

I paid about $25 for those same boxes a few years ago over here!!!! I need a Target

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home