Monday, April 07, 2008

Weekend Wrap Up

We had delightfully warm weather here on Saturday.

After we got back from our marriage shrinking appointment (I must say I think we did the right thing switching to a closer person). I grabbed a rubber glove and a trash bag and Chunky grabbed his scooter.

While Chunky scooted, I picked up the trash that seems to collect every winter in our driveway, along the chain link fence outlining the yard, and in the tiny alley/walkway that separates us from the neighbor's yard.

I snapped a few pics.

100_5699

It was soooo tempting not to start my seeds. But I've vowed not to start my seeds until April 15thish.

To quash my urge to pot, I dug around in my compost box that I started this fall.

100_5697

On Sunday, when the nice weather went away, there was some knitting.

I frogged Devon. Despite getting an smidge smaller than gauge (which was OK with me if it was on the snug side), this vest was turning out HUGE. I pulled a sweater vest out of my closet and have decided I'll just wing a pattern based on it. Shouldn't be too hard. It's a simple vest.

There was even some spinning.

100_5705

I think I'm hooked!

I also am quite OK with not utilizing a drop spindle "properly." I already knit "wrong" (a combo style where I don't support the yarn to be knitted--it sits slack until I'm ready for it--no wrapping around the fingers of it for me!) it's only fitting I should spindle "wrong." I use quotes because blah, blah, it's not really wrong if it works, blah, blah.

I honestly was never fond of the really thin yarn that "proper" drop spindling seems to always produce.

I do want to get it a bit thinner than my last attempt to spin.

100_5704

But not so thin that it's lace/sockweighty.

I think it's time to start saving for that wheel I've been lusting after.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Yep, a few of my coworkers are very downhearted that they planted a few weeks ago when it was bright and sunny and Spring must be here...only for it to SNOW (well, slush, this is Seattle) and kill everything.

It really is so hard to wait though.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Your compost looks fantastic!

And I love the picture of the tree with the yellow flowers. Ah! Spring! Don't you just LOVE this time of year?!?

9:00 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I think it may be early on the seeds unless you are going to start them inside. Although I think you'd be good to go on lettuces. That is a cool weather crop.

I spin "wrong' too. But if you want to spinner a thinner yarn try drafting your fiber almost to thickness of the yarn you want before you start spinning. It helps me a lot. I'm now rying to figure out how to spin thicker!

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! You are a chip off the OLD Block!! I do everything my way also cause I can't do it the way you are suppose to do it. It works for me so how can it be wrong? When doing something with your hands you have to go with the way that is easiest for you. Plus I taught myself. Oh is spring there or what? That is a forsythia that you took a picture of. Love, Mom

10:17 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I am not thrilled with the drop spindle and have wheel lust, too. I am not real consistent with the drop spindle, maybe because we made it outselves and it's not as heavy or balanced as a commercial one. Or maybe I just need some more patience?

11:01 AM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Your spinning looks good to me! And if anyone can save for a wheel, I know its you :)

11:06 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I never got the hang of the drop spindle. The wheel and I get along much better. :)

Seeds...is it too late to put seeds in the ground for anything, veggies, flowers, etc., at the end of May? I don't want to start seeds and not be at the house to actually take care of them.

AND, composting...does it smell? I want to do it, but hubby is afraid it will smell really bad....

12:34 PM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

Your compost is some pretty good looking stuff! :)

I love how your first handspun spun up!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

YAY for spinning! I'm glad you're hooked :).

1:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

We got our veggies in and they are doing really well. i was worried since PeeWee was my helper and a few got sat on! Can't you go ahead and plant garlic when it's still cold?

2:43 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Another one brought over to the dark spinning side!

I have to make a list to for some seeds or starter plants. Come hell or high water I am having a small garden and an herb garden this year!

5:24 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

You're gonna love spinning on a wheel!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I hear ya on the wait to plant seeds thing. It's driving me bonkers! I stuck some fresh flowers from a cheap bouquet in my flowerbed to get some colour in the meantime. They are now half dead, but it's better thant he all-dead there anyway!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a pretty tree! I love blooming trees - my husband and I have a tree in our front yard that blooms with pinkish white flowers every spring, and then the leaves turn red after the flowers fall off. I have no idea what kind of tree it is, but I love seeing it bloom. I have no luck with seeds. They never seem to want to sprout for me.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I've never composted. I am tempted to plant some seeds but I've managed to kill 2 plants already this winter, so I'm scared. I'm depserately trying to keep a plant alive that Pi needs for girl scouts. Its barely making it.

Good luck saving for the wheel! I'm saving for a sewing machine!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I can't wait to see what you plant this year, the compost look great! Your developing quite the talent on the spinning front, woman, you deserve a wheel!

9:42 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

The spinning IS addictive. I think you'd LOVE spinning on a wheel.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Tell us more about the composting. I really want to do it. Do I just get a big tub (how big) and put all my "vegetation" in it? What do you NOT put in it? Someone told me no citrus - does that include strawberries?

Bezzie, your blog is just the BEZT ;-)

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home