Monday, April 28, 2008

Wrapup: El Fin De La Semana

Another rip roaring exciting weekend down the tubes at our local Bezidence!

I hit Kid City in Clifton to purchase Chunky his summer attire. I got out of there with 5 outfits and a new set of swim trunks for $26.

Now, before you applaud me for this cheapassedness--Kid City probably has a direct line on the sweatshop market.

But, you know what? Who doesn't?

I could go to Walmart and buy the same t-shirt and shorts made in Bangladesh by young girls in shitacular conditions and pay $10 for it. At Kid City I only paid $1.99. And trust me, it's the same shirt. I came home with a couple of Faded Glory (Walmart's "brand") and even an OshKosh B'Gosh shirt for $1.99 each. Do I really think Kid City is paying that girl in Bangladesh any more money for her time and labor than Walmart? No.

Not like the "everyone does it so why shouldn't I?" argument really holds a lot of water...but I really don't have the money to outfit a six year old that's wear those clothes to shreds by the time summer ends.

But let's skip to happier things. Speaking of sweatshops and cheap poorly sewed things--I replaced Yasser. He was getting very stretched and bloated in his old age and he wasn't getting the job done very well anymore.

I replaced him with this:

100_5779

I ripped the idea off of a bag I saw on Etsy (is that a bad thing?) using some fabric and big-ass snaps I bought when Chris was up here last weekend.

Here's a crappy closeup of the print I used:

100_5780

Kind of a lucky/love theme going on.

And speaking of love (I'm kicking ass in the segue department today!)...

I planted my pot garden--to include the flowers in my "Falling Out of Love" socks made from STR Mustang Sally.

100_5778

Now if it would just stop raining! I'm a little worried my seedlings are getting over-watered.

I ran out of potting soil and still have to do my potato and my onions and radishes. I'll do that later this week.

Hm, well. No segue for this final picture that sums up my weekend.

100_5776

That's another crappy closeup of a half-eaten loaf of challah.

The landlord's son brought it to me on Sunday night as a thank you.

A thank you for what?

I can't remember what day it was, Wednesday perhaps, but Chunky and I pulled into the driveway to find Zorba the Landlord's car parked kind of funny in the parking lot and Zorba was sitting in the passenger side with the door open and his legs out.

As soon as I could say "Don't forget your lunchbag in the car, Chunky!" Zorba's Eastern European nurse--we'll call her Tatania (since her eyebrows have been solidly TATooed onto her forehead)--was all over me rambling in a frantic broken English diatribe.

Apparently Zorba had just gotten home from the hospital. Zorba and his sons decided he was well enough to go home. But he was still too weak to walk from the car into the house and despite Tatania trying to tell the sons that there was no way she'd be able to get him from the car to the house herself--they released him anyway. Needless to say she was pretty upset by all of this and why she pounced on me in the driveway.

So Tatania and I, with the help of a walker, manuevered Zorba into the house. WHEW! Who would have thought frail elderly people could be so heavy??? I don't know how nurses do it hefting patients around all day. I'd be a walking workers' comp claim so fast!!

I thought it was super sweet of his sons to bring us that loaf of bread as a thank you. I mean what was I going to do? Strand Zorba and Tatania out in the driveway? Good lord.

I may be a bitter bitch in some regards, but I'm not subhuman!

Labels: , , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Oh, I LOVE the socks! So cute :). We had, like, two weeks of GORGEOUS weather. It's raining now, and I'm kind of glad, because my garden wanted water, and I was too lazy to comply. Yeah, for Mother Nature doing it for me ;).

7:59 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I hope they gave you the whole Challah, because if they gave you just half a loaf for getting poor old dad into the house, that would be darn tacky.

(How funny is this? My verification word is rbeculr. Rebeccular. Of or pertaining to Rebecca.)

Anyway, I think your garbage bag is great. Never heard of Kid City, but I think there are times when it's all about getting by, even when we suspect we could do a better job adhering to a code of ethics. I don't think paying a lot for clothes means they weren't sewn in sweatshop conditions.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Cool garbage bag! As for the sock planters, those are wild! I can envision a leafy, twiny plant/flower in there, you know like an ivy plant..

Yes, lifting patient's can be trying at times..glad I don't have to do it as often as nurses do.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Mmm, I love challah bread! That was one good thing about living in a jewish neighborhood for all those years..challah everywhere!

I love the sock plant! Hopefully your seedlings will grow nicely. I know what you mean about the rain. We just planted our first veggies ever and the rain won't quit!

The Yasser replacement is great. I really like the fabric and no, I don't think its bad to get an idea from someone else's stuff. Its called inspiration.

I've never heard of Kid City but those prices sound awesome. You'll laugh, but I bought Pi's summer clothes with my rewards points from my debit card. We racked up enough reward points over the last year (just by buying grcoeries and paying normal bills on the debit) to get a gift card. We headed to Target (the cheapest place close to us) and scored her 6outfits, a bathing suit, and a new pair of pjs. Pi outgrows and stains her clothes so quickly that buying expensive is just a stupid idea.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hooray for you about Chunky's clothes! I'm with you on not overspending on kids' clothes. A lot of my daugher's classmates shop at Limited Too, and my daughter has asked about going there, but I can't afford to spend $26 to buy her one shirt.

I absolutely agree with you about the sweat shops - the one thing I will spend a little more money on is outerwear, particularly winter coats, because if I get a good quality one, it'll last more than one winter. I usually buy my kids' coats from Lands' End online (I shop the clearance section of the website first), because their stuff is really good quality, and you can return anything, at anytime, worn or not, with or without a receipt, even though I've never had to return anything to Lands' End because of quality - only when something doesn't fit. Beats the last few times I bought her coats from J.C. Penney, and had problems with zippers breaking, and rips within about a month of wear.

Anyway, I got my daughter a coat from there this past winter on sale for $59 (regular price was $79). The coat says right on the tag, "Made in China". Yep, China. Just buying something from a higher-priced store doesn't mean it'll be made in the U.S. Clothes from Dillards, Macy's, the Gap, Lands' End, etc., are made overseas just like clothes from Walmart.

The plants growing in the socks look so cute - what a great idea!

That's awful about the landlord. I read an article in the New York Times online once about hospitals that will have ambulances dump indigent/homeless patients off right on the street, in various cities' Skid Rows.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yeah, I feel like I'm turning into a duck, we've had so much freakin' water here! I love the sock planters. Very cute.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Sock planter, now that's a great use for socks! Maybe I should sew the sleeves and bottom of my enormous Banff sweater together and plant a tree...hmmm...

I hope life improves, the weather improves, and you don't have to lug any more half-conscious landlords around!

9:31 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

I love the socks pot garden!! Now I know what to do if I hit second sock syndrome! And how much would I love to see Batty's potted tree...hehehe

Yay for summer clothes shopping (and a bargain to beat!).

1:23 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

I have two aunts (retired nurses in Mejico) that have wrenched their backs more times than they can remember...and 108 lbs is still 108 lbs...that's how much my mom weighed when they replaced her first knee and I had the task of getting her from the car to the couch.

Rain? Don't talk to me about rain. I'm beginning to miss the desert.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Love the bag. It should be the holiday bag - Valentines, St Pats & Christmas (the balls) :0) And I think it's perfectly fine to take 'inspiration' from Etsy. Banana Republic, et al, take 'inspiration' from the catwalks each season, right?

Be thankful for your rain. We are in our dryest period right now down in FL, so I have to lug out loads of water for our pots each day ;-)

4:49 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Love the car-bag! It's a nice cheery fabric too!

6:53 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

I agree with what Elizabeth said about the price of clothing equating to satisfactory work conditions. It just doesn't happen anymore Bezzie, so don't worry about that. You cannot avoid it unless you make the clothes yourself.

Hey, you did a great job sewing the bag. It's the Lucky in Love bag by Bezzie ;p

Take care!

Kay

8:08 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I like Yasser's replacement. Looks like to came out pretty good.

And the pot garden looks like it is off to a great start. I'm anxious to see how the socks hold up for the entire season.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Sheesh...I think "bitter bitch" is a little bit of an overstatement.......

9:57 AM  
Anonymous joymama said...

We live and ethically and green as we can afford. That means that we support local farmers and locally owned businesses as much as possible but have no qualms about getting organic veggies at Costco or going to Big Lots! to see what we can find. I do shop at Ross and Wal Mart. I buy the best quality I can afford--afford being the operative word.
We don't have to validate or justify what we do for our families .

You're doing great things Bezzie!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Love the sock planter!

Next time you're in the city check out Steve & Barry...I hear they are really cheap...There's a store in the Manhattan mall at 34th Street. :)

10:29 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

I was worried for a second that they'd only given you half a loaf of bread! Love the plants in sprouting in the socks. Cute!

10:32 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I love that Yasser replacement! Makes me want to break out my sewing machine! Nah, it's not a bad thing. It's creative inspiration!

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, on the summer wardrobe...If you and I don't buy the workers don't have any work, thus they are not able to buy food clothes and what they need for their families. Yes, the conditions that they work in are terrible. What has to be done are laws in the countries where these factories are. Our country has had these types of factories and in someplaces where there are illegal immigrants they are still here. People need to start seeing that all people are humans no matter what!!!

Sorry, I am reading a book on the Holocaust!!!

Your sock planters look really cute. Hope they will last and you get all kinds of flowers from them.

As for the nurses and healthcare workers they should be trained in how to lift and they should be using the correct equipment. I sold a lot of strapping to healthcare worker when I worked are that place we will not name, when asked what they were making they would say that it was going to be a lifting seating. I have been told that one of these thing makes it a whole lot easier to lift and move patients.

And to your last comment....Well that is a bit harsh.
Love, Mom

12:00 PM  
Blogger Nell said...

Isn't it terrible that people leave the hospital too early! I mean really! Stupid insurance companies!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Oh the socks are great. I think I need to consider making a pair for that purpose for my neighbour. She'd love that!

Love the bag too...great pattern! I need to do one of those too.

Too many good ideas here...must leave....sensory overload....


lol

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home