Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Community College Vest

So maybe you've seen Turtlegirl's amazing Ivy League Vest Ivy League Vest photoshoot.

And maybe you've seen Trillian's spoof.

After seeing Cristi's amazing work (in person even!) on the Ivy League Vest, I knew what I had to call the vest I was working on:

100_5805
Because in Community College, we're not afraid to pick our noses.

The Community College Vest

Pattern: My own.

Yarn: Mirasol Miski, 100% baby llama in "Jade" kindly RAKed to me by Cpurl

Needles: US 4

Notes: I started making the Devon vest from the now defunct Magknits. But I couldn't get gauge. So I though: "It's just a vest, who needs a pattern for a simple vest?"

And I was right. Sort of.

I pulled a sweater vest out of my closet that I had bought at Burlington Dog Hair Factory about 10 years ago and used it as a guide.

The vest turned out great--except that it's really small.

You can't tell from these blurry pictures (taken by my fabulous photographer Chunky--sorry Turtlegirl, I think my photographer is cuter than yours!), but my girls are super squished.

This vest puts the negative in negative ease.

If it wasn't made of very warm llama yarn, it would make a great vest to run a marathon in--keeping Laverne and Shirley firmly in their places.

So I've decided I'll gift this to my Youngest Younger Sister who graduates from college this weekend.

Does it still count as a graduation present if I didn't really intend to give it to her, nor give it to her around graduation day?

100_5804

Labels:

26 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

Classy. Very very classy! I have only made socks without a pattern and they're so darn easy anyone can do them. I suppose I could make a vest, except I don't wear vests. I like patterns in front of me with numbers and stuff already figured out. I am so glad there are folks out there willing to make them up.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

You're one glamorous dame! Chunky is a great photographer.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Its a really cute vest! Nice nose picking too! I think it counts as a present, even if you didn't intend it to be. My Seraphina shawl that was the wrong color for me is now going to be a Christmas present for my grandma.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous joymama said...

So funny--The CC Vest!
Love it.
Chunky just might have a future in art photography.

8:28 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Are you wearing a work badge in those photos? You wanna know what I think of work badges? They're honky!

(Nice vest, though.)

-T.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe..great photoshoot! ;) Nice vest, and a good present for your sister too :)

9:03 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

Cool! Thanks! But hey! UAF isn't a community college! When I got your myspace comment, I was so confused. I was thinking a fleece zip-up vest from Mat-Su. Haha!
Thanks again!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Great vest - I love the name! Nothing wrong with recycling knit projects as gifts!

9:34 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

HA! I do have an armwarmer shoot coming up...perhaps I may have to have some fun with that one.....

Love the vest! I think it's totally appropriate to gift it to someone that it will fit AND that will appreciate it!

9:40 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

OMG! I love the post...community college vest looks great (bummer its a wee bit too small, and yes, definately counts as a present!). Chunky is definately a better photographer :)

10:07 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

You're so funny - wearing your work badge, even! I was going to say at least your stripes are in the right place - I never get that right and it makes my breasts look odd. Well, odder than on a normal day.

5:20 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Great work on the vest. The quilt behind you is great too. Did you make it?

6:17 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very cute shrunken vest! you totally get sister points even if you didn't plan to give it to her first. i do that all the time.

and i love the quilt in the background, btw.

8:13 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

It's a shame that it's boobie armor on you, because it looks fab! But it'll make a great present for your YYS!

9:19 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Love it! The name is great too.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! Those pics could be a present all to themselves!!! Now stop making me laugh while I am sitting on my exercise ball!!! And Yes!! Chunkie is a GREAT photogragher! Love, Mom

10:32 AM  
Blogger Dkswife said...

Cute vest and great nose-picking :)

11:57 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

You are the best!

Community College Vest! (Maybe should be modeled with the Beloit Cardigan?)

I think it's a fine graduation present, regardless of original intention or timing.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

You are a class act all the way! The vest is great and will make a fantastic graduation gift. At first I thought your ID badge was the price tag hanging off of your shirt - which would be extra classy. ;)

4:57 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Some of the best presents were mistakes that found a new home ;-)

5:29 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yup, still counts. Even though you weren't PLANNING on giving it, you ARE giving it, therefore it counts! Very nice, by the way...

8:05 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, and since it functions as a sports bra, too, you could call it the Track Team Vest.

I'll stop now. I promise.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

LOL I love the photo shot! The vest turned out great!!!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Ahh, at first I thought I was looking at a pic from IK but no, its from VK. Or was it from Knitters?

10:09 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Cute vest, very collegiate. Why wouldn't it count as a gift?

8:34 PM  
OpenID bufanditas said...

The vest looks great!

Who says it has to be a graduation present? A gift for no particular reason is always great to get.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home