Monday, May 26, 2008

I Love 3-Days

It is simply amazing what I can get done on a three day weekend.

The weather this weekend has been simply gorgeous. A reward for the weeks leading up where it's been beautiful during the week and as soon as the weekend rolls around--it's rain and wind?

We've been eating like pigs this weekend too. Saturday was hamburgers on the grill--with lettuce from my little pot! Sunday was homemade tortilla soup (think the cheesy tortilla soup you can find at McCallister's Deli or Max n'Erma's--two restaurants that my east coast readers have probably never heard of...). And tonight is spareribs (bought as they were about to expire and promptly frozen until today) and potato salad.

100_5902

That's the "before" shot with Dr. Mad Scientist's rub on there. He's outside grilling them as I type this. Nothing more sexy than a man rubbing meat.

In the knitting department I finished the Monkey Bottom Bag for Chunky's teacher Miss Donna.

100_5888

Man, I totally dig this bag. Maybe because it wasn't so damn big like the last one.

I added some nicer detail on the straps.

100_5889

A couple of faux buttons from some buttons I scavenged from a tacky outfit many moons ago.

And of course, I had to get the monkey bottom shot.

100_5890

Those little snowman things are supposed to be gourds. Or mammaryteste hybrids.

Then I also finished a 9"x9" square for a blanket Dame Wendy was soliciting help with.

100_5892

It's nothing fancy, just a simple checker pattern.

100_5893

I also had time to spin up the rest of the fuzz I bought at Maryland Sheep and Wool.

100_5895

That's the black with hints of color merino Chris chided me into buying (I like to blame her--although I would have probably gotten it anyway!). My merino spinning still needs work. It's a darn slippery fuzz that merino is!

I even had time to futz around in the pot garden.

100_5898

100_5897

My onions are finally coming up! Now if only my herbs would take a hint and follow the onions suit. I think it's the soil I planted them in--very clay like and doesn't hold water well. Ah well, that's why it was probably so cheap. Live and learn.

My potato on the other hand is going to town!

100_5896

The potato on the left is a funky-tater I pulled out of a bag that was going bad. The potatoes on the right are from seed potatoes I got from my plant last year. How proud am I that the seed potatoes are doing better than the funky-tater?

And to wrap it all up--I sewed myself a new lunch bag, the crotch on a pair of Chunky's shorts that was falling apart (again, you get what you pay for) and four bottoms for some new bags like the one I made Miss Donna. This time they're for me.

100_5903

I'm not religious, but I freaking love this fabric. I'm thinking four My Own Personal Jesus Spider bags are in order.

Now that Shoprite will pay you 5 cents for a non-plastic bag you bring in (I really think that the "fabric" bags they sell aren't very environmentally conscious as they're made of a poly base anyway...) I might start actually bringing these to go shopping with. Before they would only pay you 2 cents.

So there's my wrap up. Amazing what one extra lousy day of not working can do to a person.

Now somebody remind me of all this fun next week when I'm working til midnight again to help file a brief. You know it's going to be bad when your boss asks you three weeks in advance if you can work overtime on the deadline day.

Sigh!

Labels: , , , ,

28 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

The monkey bottom bag looks great! I'm especially looking forward to Your Own Personal Jesus bags though. hehehehehehehe

hehehehehehe I'm sorry that's just funny. Your pot garden is going well! And your spinning! The blackish stuff turned out pretty!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

I took an extra day, so I have had 4 days in a row...sweet! What did I accomplish:
1. Finished a skirt.
2. Started two receiving blankets with matching spit up cloths.
3. Felted a thrift store sweater to make a bag.
4. Cleaned the house -- well, as clean as I can do.
5. Cleaned the insides of my Xterra, and Little POS. The Xterra needs a good washing now. The POS may get a quick rinse off from time to time.
6. Took several naps...ah, I love naps.
7. Bought new baby chicks.

I love holidays too!

Kay

3:51 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Love that fabric... does it come with stars?

4:48 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I keep the grocery bags in the car- it's worth the 5 cents off!
That fabric- what exactly was the thought behind the design? LOL

4:55 PM  
Anonymous nikBudnik said...

I absolutelyfreaking love that bag.
Oh, and It aint got to be cold to carry one like that ;)

5:03 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

At first, I thought you made yourself a new lunch bag out of the crotch of a pair of Chunky's shorts. But then I re-read it and realized those were two separate projects. Which is good, because that would have totally weirded me out. Recycling's great and all, but at some point...

Mammaryteste hybrids, LOL! So would those be boobieballs?

Before my comment gets completely useless, nice Monkey Bottom Bag! And your spinning is coming along fabulously!

5:06 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Wow! You've got a lot accomplished this 3 day weekend!! I feel like I mostly caught up on lack of sleep from my work trip to new orleans (I know, poor me) last weekend.

The monkey bag is too cute! I just love that fabric :) And the spinning is coming along nicely! I love the merino.

Dinner looks like its going to be yummy!

5:37 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Praise your own personal Jesus spider for 3 day weekends!

-T.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Oh, that meat looks good... I've never done a rub before. The garden looks wonderful, too.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Such a lot of great stuff going on Chez Bezzie.

I had my annual Mem Day BBQ for my AA group, so I spent Sat and Sun cleaning the porch and getting ready for that.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Damn you got alot done! I love the monkey bottom bag! Is that fabric fleece or cotton? I might have to try something like this. The spun yarn looks great too!

Shoprite pays you 2c if you bring in their own plastic bags from the last time you shopped and 5c for the fabric ones. Trust me, I've been taking advantage of that.

The garden looks great! My garden is so-so. The only plant I have that seems to be thriving are my grape tomatos. The rest seem ok but not growing too much. The one that looks like it may be in peril danger is the cucumber. Figures, its my favorite veggiw!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I have long maintained that a 4 day work-week is required. 5 is just too damn much. I love the monkey bag mammary-testes combo thingie doodad. Too funny. Good luck ont he long work day coming up. I hope youu get double time or something....

7:39 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I love 3 days too! I agree with Carol above!

I wasn't nearly as productive but I did have a lot of fun this weeekend! And, as an added bonus, only 4 days till the next one.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Food and gardens and sewing ... oh, my! You had a busy little weekend :).

Your garden looks awesome!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, the monkey bag came out gorgeous - I love the colors!

Great job with the plants! One of these days I'll get around to planting some vegetables on my sun porch.

I've never heard of a grocery store paying you to bring your own bags - I'm jealous, LOL! Here in Cleveland we have Save A Lot and Aldi, both of which charge customers for bags (10 cents a bag). They are really nice, heavy bags compared to regular grocery store bags though. Or you can do it the cheap way and just pick up empty cartons around the store and use those instead.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Sherry W said...

Spiders and crosses? Huh?

9:52 PM  
Blogger Cindy G said...

That has got to be the coolest fabric ever.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

I have total garden envy. After my failed garlic experiment I'm now trying a small lime tree, a coffee bean plant, and a lemon tree. I'm betting I kill them by the end of summer.

The square looks great! And a perfect color. :)

The teach is going to love her monkey bag!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe..that purple Jesus fabric is interesting indeed! Super job on the Monkey bottom bag! Your garden is looking good, I bet that lettuce was good too! Pretty handspun too, gosh you are going to town with spinning, good for you! :)

11:40 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

The bag came out great! I think the buttons are a very nice touch.

7:02 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Love the way the yarn came out! You're doing great with the spinning.

I was worried you were going to leave that fiber behind. I'm glad you had every intention of buying it before my threats. heh

Everything looks great. Garden, knitting, sewing, cooking, men rubbing meat (HAHAHAHAHA!)

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice monkey bottom bag! Chunkie's teacher will love it.
Your spinning is looking great! I would have never known that you had spun that yarn.
Crosses and spiders? What was the thinking behind that design?
Your pot garden is really going to town. I haven't planted anything in my garden yet, but I have the plants. Love, Mom

9:41 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I like the smaller monkey bottom bag and the strap detail is a nice touch.

I think the spinning looks great. You are moving along very fast.very nice merino. What will you make?

9:43 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

ah yes... and now it's like day 3 of summer vacation and I am not sure what the heck to do with the kids!!

I like your bags, and yes, man rubbing meat...

10:06 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

Wow, give you an extra day and you go into hyper productive mode! I really love your spider-jesus fabric. That would make me happy every time I unloaded the groceries!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

The pot garden is looking great! Nice pea shoots! Don't worry about the onions and herbs - they take a long time to grow from seed - germination is erratic.

The other projects look great, too. The handspun is quite handsome and I love the spiders for Jesus fabric.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Mmmm, ribs. Your garden looks great. My potatoes bit the dust for some mysterious reason, but I'm going to try again.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Everything looks great!

I love your garden. I truly am envious of how successful you are.

I killed our pet sweet potato ~sigh~ The strawberries seem to be fairing okay but really how can you screw them up...see I can only handle non screw up plants...a.k.a. plants that survive when you forget to water them for days on end lol

Love the bag....lucky teacher there ;)

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home