Wednesday, May 14, 2008

WIP Wednesday

You don't really think I'll show you what I'm knitting today do you?

Ha ha, I'll do that on Thursday to spite the WIP Wednesday theme.

Instead I give you my Pot Garden WIPs:

Munchkin Broccoli:
100_5826
Not too happy.

Tomaters:
100_5827
"Meh."

Munchkin Radishes:
100_5828
Pleasantly content. Their green onion pot-mates? They're a little shy. We'll give them another week to sprout before we give up on them.

Flowers in the Socks that Didn't Rock (In the Dryer):
100_5829
Not too shabby.

Munchkin peas:
100_5831
Oh so happy.

Lettuce/Spinach Mix:
100_5832
Ecstatic!

As you can see, my cold weather plants (the peas and lettuce) are loving this mild spring weather we've been having.

The rest of my green children? Not so much. It's not quite warm enough for them yet. And the damned birds (pigeons?) have been eating my sprouts--I've lost my cukes, some tomatoes, and some pumpkins to them. Thus the ghetto fab window screen quasi-shielding the seedlings from aviary foes.

We've been having these fluctuations in weather where one week will be 70's, sunny and downright summer like.

The next week will be rainy, windy and cold.

I guess I got spoiled by last spring. It got and stayed warmer faster.

But it's OK. I know I can re-start everything that doesn't work out here. That's the joy of pot gardening--I'll bring it inside if it starts getting too close to fall frost.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

My plants are taking their time too. I've been lugging them inside on really cold nights but they're not too happy. My basil seems to have frown the most, which is odd since its supposed to love hot weather,

5:14 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Well to the "untrained" eye, I think it all looks fantastic! Can't wait to see what it all yields!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Bloody Birds!!!

Your peas are AWESOME. And the rest of the plants look good for the hot/cold weather. Give them time.....

7:26 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

8:46am and I've got a taste for a spinach salad....thanks a lot. :)

You'll have to come teach me...I'm afraid of planting things and them dying.

7:47 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Shit. That does it! Next year, I'm planting spinach and lettuce!

My hot peppers haven't even sprouted yet. It'll be 2 weeks on Sunday. Hopefully something is happening in that dirt!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Nice sprouts! Is that 'Salad Bowl' lettuce?

The angle of the photo makes it hard to tell, but the broccoli look leggy, like they aren't getting enough light. All the Brassicas are cold-hardy and actually taste best in frosty fall weather, so I don't think they're sulking because of the temperatures.

9:18 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Looks like the garden is coming right along and that you'll be enjoying home grown lettuce in short order!

I can't wait to see the flowers overflowing that sock!

Maybe you need to hang up soem type of "scarecrow" for the birds. I even seen some use a disposible pie tin that bangs against soemthing in the wind.

9:37 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Very cool! I can grow stuff like that, too - only, instead of lettuce and spinach and peas, I'm really, really good at growing weeds. It's a gift.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Making some progress. :) Can't wait to see the flowers come outta the sock!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

These 38 degree mornings are not so good for growing things, except for the peas and spinach and lettuces. Today it's back to 70 again. Hard to know how to dress.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, am I glad that you explained the window screen thing. Your aunt in MASS. has problems with the birds also. I think that your pot garden is doing good so far. Can't wait to see the end results. Love, Mom

12:10 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I think it looks great too! One of these days I'll plant some vegetables on my sun porch. I love baby salad greens, and I heard they grow well in pots. I'm looking forward to seeing how your lettuce and spinach comes out!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Yum!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I'm impressed with how your spinach and lettuce is coming up! I put up pics of my garden, too. Has anyone come up and commented to you in person about your sock flower pot?

7:13 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Wow! Your garden looks awesome. I especially love the lettuce/spinach mix, and your peas look very happy :). I can just imagine you with a little yard full of happy, hearty food plants :).

8:27 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Your pot garden looks amazing!! The lettuce especially :)

hehhehe..I just read the comments...did Disco just say Bloody Birds?! She makes me smile!

10:58 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Beautiful lettuce! I never get my act together early enough to plant lettuce.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yay for pot gardens!
Do you have any tulle or gauze or something like that? It'll keep the birds away too.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Rebel said...

I'm so happy your pots are happy! Our weather has just been COLD lately and of course, today we swing 30+ degrees up to around 90! I hope all my plants survive the switch.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home