Monday, June 09, 2008

OLS

I decided again to particpate in One Local Summer.

The farm stand across the street from the office isn't open yet. But I know the guy is busy. We see him keeping his bees and putzing around on his tractor. This is actually part of the reason we're moving to Newark--the partners think that where we're located is kind of podunk and not good for our image.

I personally love that there's a harem of wild turkeys that likes to strut in our parking lot and we get to watch bee keeping in action from our office windows. We ain't gonna find THAT in Newark.

Ah well, I'll start hitting up the Newark Farmer's Market when we make the move.

In the meantime, this week was the first official week of One Local Summer.

I knew this, but I didn't make a conscious effort to eat one total-local meal.

But I can tell you when we went grocery shopping this weekend I bought my staples of Park Sausage (Baltimore, MD) and Black Bear Deli Weiners (Philly, PA) (great on the grill!) seen here all wrapped up in foil.

100_5957
Opening the freezer to take pictures on a 100 degree day--ahhhh!

I also regularly buy some Pennsylvania hotdog and hamburger buns (I can't remember their name right now) and my fave--Friendship sour cream made in NY. So much better than that Daisy crap--and it's cheaper too!

Oh! And my favorite new discovery (also on sale last week):

100_5958

Turkey Hill Ice Cream imported from Lancaster County, PA. Yum!

Again my goal will be to eat foods in a comfortable driving distance (we'll pretend gas prices aren't crazy) and mostly from the supermarket. I like the supermarket angle because it shows you don't have to go all over town (wasting that gas!), live outside a city, or to the back country farms to find local foods. You just have to take the time read the label and do some research.

In the meantime my own down-the-10-stairs local harvest-to-be is doing well.

I had a ladybug land on my potato. How could I resist not taking a picture of my two favorite things--potatoes and ladybugs?

100_5949

And Chunky insisted as long as I was taking pictures I take a picture of his 11-bloom petunia plant that he gave me for Mother's Day.

100_5950

Maybe petunias are those flowers that like to be rootbound?? The pot is tiny, I'm surprised this little plant is going as good as it is.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

MMMM...ice cream and local stuff for the grill! Yummy!! Summer is the best time to eat locally for me...our farmer's market is the best! But you're right, even just checking the labels at the grocery store helps!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

What a great petunia plant. They might like a little crowding. That one sure seems happy.

8:43 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Can I come over for dinner?

-T.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I love your green thumb...all your plants come out so awesome. I love the ladybug shot!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Very pretty petunias! I had a border of petunias along my front yard walkway last summer, and they did pretty well in the heat. Thank goodness it's to cool down tomorrow - this 90+ degree heat is too much for me!

10:32 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I did a double take on the first read thinking you bought black bear weiners and turkey ice cream. And I thought, geez, Bezzie's getting awfully... experimental... in her food planning these days.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

I love turkey hill ice cream. We got it on sale last week too...the peanut butter vanilla swirl one. My fav is chocolate marshmallow. Yum! I have the same exact petunia plant from Pi this year and its still alive!

4:35 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

OK, no links in your post - where can I read about OLS? Or is this just a Bezzie thing?

Like I need an excuse for buying ice-cream!!!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Great 11-bloom petunia! When the flowers start to fade, pinch the plant back and it will re-bloom. (If you don't remove the faded flowers, the plant will set seed and be done for the season.)

7:49 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I think petunias just like to bloom. That is a beautiful one. Good choice, Chunky! We try to eat locally and thankfully there are a lot of farms locally that provide good produce. Meat is a little harder because I won't go to Acme and pay their sky high prices for Lancaster Brand meats which are supposed to be more local.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Your flower is very pretty!!!

Hey, guess what? I need your addy AGAIN!!! How many times have you given it to me? 5 or 6 at least. Crap. I am ready to send you a little giftage that I have promised you for quite a while!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Magatha said...

Ladybug is good luck, if you're a pagan. Really, it means free and food friendly pesticide! Yay!

Great photo.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Are you sure you didn't decide to blog food just so you could open the fridge and stand in front of it?

11:36 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm with you - I like that I can shop for most of my "local" needs at the grocery store. I could never get that point across to the locavores in my area, though, that our local grocery had a HUGE selection of local foods from Maine Root organic rootbeer to local apples to chicken sausage from Massachusetts.

Anyway, good for you for participating in OLS. Looking forward to following your progress ;).

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure of what is in those packets of foil? In two weeks they will be S.K.O.M. !!!

Chunkie's petunia looks real good. I hope that mine do that well. Love, Mom

12:40 PM  
Blogger Mother Necessity said...

I love the idea of the complete local meal - it's amazing how simple it sounds and how hard it is to do!

4:38 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I have no excuse for not doing more local meals. mabye I'll give it a go!

How does turkey ice cream taste?

7:07 PM  
Blogger Jim Gerl said...

Hi,

I just voted for your blog for Bloggers Choice awards.

Could you return the favor at:
http://www.
bloggerschoiceawards.com/blogs/show/21620

Thanks,

SpEdLaw2

9:34 PM  
Blogger Sssarahevt said...

Moving again?!?!? I missed something... (runs off to furiously scroll old blog posts and knitty topics) Ohhh, I'm practically come from Maine to help, you've had to do it so much!!!

10:25 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hmmm Lancaster County~Home of great food! Your mom's day gift is very happy!

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

i'm sitting here catching up on my blogreading and admiring your gardening skillz!! nice!!! i wish i had some place to plant SOMETHING! :o)

that petunia plant is growing very nicely. that's because it was gifted with LOOOVE!

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home