Sunday, June 22, 2008

One Local (Cheapass) Summer

I've been slack in my participation with One Local Summer this year.

My goal, as it was last year, is to find food that's made in a place that's a comfortable day's drive away. I am also striving to find as much local food at my ShopRite--to prove that you don't have to always go to specialty markets or expensive supermarkets like Wholier Than Thou Foods.

And this week I've got a twist--cheapassedness. Because, let's face it, eating local is a great thing to do, but on average it can be more expensive than non-local products.

I just finished up eating this for lunch:

100_6017

A grilled cheese sandwich, when I realized that this sandwich meets my criteria.

The bread is made by Freihofer's distributed out of Pennsylvania (Freihofer's is now owned by GW Bakeries, but they have many bakeries in the NJ area as well...).

The cost of this bread? I bought it when it was about to expire and it was 1/2 off and just popped it in the freezer for a grand total of $1.19. One good way to get cheap store bought bread is to freeze it when it's about to expire and keep it in the fridge instead of on the counter to extend its shelf life. It's easy spot mold on bread, so it's easy to get over any expiration aversions you might have about with bread.

The cheese is Heluva Good Pepper Jack cheese. Heluva Good is headquartered in upstate New York. They have facilities that meet my comfortable day's drive in five places. Only two of their facilities are outside my criteria--in Ohio and Tennesse. I'm not 100% sure where this particular cheese was made, but the odds are good it was local.

How much was the cheese? $2.99. But I used this 75 cent off coupon (scroll waaay down!), the coupon was doubled, and I only paid $1.49 total for the cheese. The best part was the register spit out with my receipt another 75 cent off coupon for Heluva Good cheese! Ha ha!

So see, no driving all around town to over-priced grocery stores or paying out the nose for locally produced foods. It just took 5 minutes of internet research to determine that these products are local.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger maryannlucy said...

OMG that sandwich looks good. And it is local, fantastic...I may have to go and see what is in the fridge as I feel a melted cheese moment coming on - sigh.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

You make a good looking grilled cheese. Mine never come out quite that pretty. Does shoprite double coupons? I use coupons but have no idea if they'd double them...hmmm.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Mine don't come out that nice looking either. I don't like grilled cheese, but my son loves them (with tomato soup).

The only grocery store around me that doubles coupons is the Giant Eagle chain, and even with double coupons, it's still cheaper for me to go to a discount store like Marc's or a store like Aldi. I feel like Giant Eagle marks their prices up to cover the bakery, butcher, child care (yep, they have child care for customers with little kids), etc. I'd rather skip all that stuff and go somewhere cheaper.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Okay, I had a huge bowl of beef and barley stew for dinner and now I am hungry for grilled cheese. Damn you, Bezzie!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

bread has expiry dates? Okay, I did know that, but I have never paid attention to it. If the bread is moldy, then it's tossed, but otherwise, I figure it's fine. Same for cheese. Although there, I just cut the mold off it and toss that part. Hasn't killt me yet.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oh..I'm coming to your house for grilled cheese sammiches!!

12:21 AM  
Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

I heart grilled cheese.
I heart cheap grilled cheese even more!

9:17 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

That sandwich looks so so good!

The only coupons I ever get on the back of my receipt seem to be dry cleaning discounts....whatever...I never dry clean anything lol

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home