Monday, June 23, 2008

Well I've Never Been To Boston...*

...but I kinda like the Cream Pies.

100_6020

Ganache. Is there not a more heavenly thing on earth?

Today's an important day for the following peeps:

Alfred Kinsey born on June 23, 1894--Mmm...science and sex, what more can you want!

Bob Fosse born on June 23, 1927--Too much Broadway for me to appreciate. I'd rather gouge my eyes out and pour hot ganache in the sockets than be dragged to a Broadway production.

Richard Bach born on June 23, 1936--I think my dad made us watch the movie version of Jonathan Livingston Seagull. If I remember rightly he made smartass wisecracks throughout the whole thing making a "deep" book/movie friggin hilarious.

Stuart Sutcliffe born on June 23, 1940--The true 4th Beatle if you ask me. Backbeat made me cry.

Wilma Rudolph born on June 23, 1940--Run Wilma! Run!

Randy Jackson born on June 23, 1956--Happy Birthday dawg!

Joss Whedon born on June 23, 1964--Yes, I'll admit it, I'm a Buffy geek.

LaDainian Tomlinson born on June 23, 1979--I saw him play football at my VERY first college game I ever went to--CSU v. TCU. We beat those mother smugger Horned Frogs! The thing I hate the most about the east coast is their lack of teams that bother to play Mountain West teams. I'd love to see a CSU game in person again.

And hey, I just found out it's Pam, Yarny Goodness Proprietress Extrodinaire's birthday today too! (Why yes, that would be a pimp of her store that features products by yours truly!)

It's also my 30th birthday. Woot.

100_6019

What have I accomplished in 30 years?

I've made residence in 5 different states in 4 different time zones.

I've been married nearly a third of my life (yikes, that makes me feel old).

I did my time in college for three years and collected an AA.

I've popped out and helped raise an amazing little nutbar.

I've pushed paper professionally for 11 years.

There's been a lot of shitty things that have happened to us lately--the Texass Debacle, Shitty September ala the IRS, and the latest fun and games surrounding Dr. Mad Scientist's addiction issues. But that's all recent history, and with time it won't seem so big or shitty.

I remember being forced out of college nine or so years ago when I ran out of money to be a big-ass horrible deal that I thought my life was over. I say forced out because I would have stayed in if I could have. But the money ran out. Dropping out is what you do when you don't want to go anymore. Yeah, whatever, not as big a crisis as I thought it was at the time. A college degree is a nice thing to have, but sometimes I'm glad I don't have one.

So another year and another decade come and gone. I guess I'll just continue to roll with whatever life spits our way.

Life is always sweeter with ganache anyway.

100_6021


*My apologies to Three Dog Night.

Labels:

50 Comments:

Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Happy Birthday Bezzie!

6:21 AM  
Blogger AR said...

Happy Birthday! That cake looks delicious!

7:21 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Boston creme pie (cake) is one of my favorites. Happy Happy 30th birthday! You have accomplished a lot in 30 years and have lots to be proud of. Being able to roll with the punches is what keeps you sane.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Happy Birthday Bezzie!! I hope you didn't have to bake your own birthday cake!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Amby said...

Happy birthday and many more to you!!!!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Happy Birthday Bezzie! That cake looks almost too good to eat...

8:01 AM  
OpenID bonne-amie said...

Happy birthday!!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Happy happy happy birthday! If it's any consolation, you're right--the things that are big and shitty now will fade with time. Truthfully, I'm liking my 40s much more than my 30s for just that reason--I roll with stuff much better now.

However, reading your list, I realize that The Great Joss Whedon is younger than I am. And just look at what he's accomplished in his life.

Sigh.

8:04 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Happy Birthday Bezzie!!!

You showed so many pictures of that cake just to torment us, right? Now I am just dying for some Boston Creme Pie.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous joymama said...

Happy Birthday!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Happy Birthday, Bezzie! Enjoy your cake and all the life perspective!!

IMHO, Broadway can be lots of fun, especially if you get half-price TKTS tickets, and there's always lots of free summer theater and concerts going on, not least River to River, SummerStage, and Shakespeare in the Park in NYC and, closer to home, weekly events in Brookdale Park.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Happy Birthday!!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

I hope the next 30 years is filled with less drama and more yarn!!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Teragram said...

Happy Birthday Bezzie!
I know it does not feel that way at the time, this moment, but when you look back you'll see how damn young 30 is. So take a cue from your future self and live it up, you're young, you're healthy and everything still works great! Use it! Waste it not.
~Yoda age 935

9:38 AM  
Blogger Shrinky Inky said...

Happy Birthday, Senorita.

If it makes you feel better, I own shoes older than you are ;)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

Happy Birthday!!!! That is one good looking cake!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Happy Birthday Chickadee!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Kelli said...

I adore the ganache.

9:52 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Happy Birthday, Bezzie! And you're really still a kid -- 30 is nothing!

10:17 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Love ya Birthday Gal! Have a happy happy happy day and an even more wonderful year!

10:34 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Happy Birthday! I'm with you on the Broadway musical thing. Me no likey!! Hope your birthday is as sweet as the cream pie for which the city of Boston was named.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous etcgirl said...

"Posted by Bezzie at 4:00 a.m."????!?

That's one serious commute, yo, if you're up before the birds!

Sounds like you're not wearing sackcloth and ashes for the big b-day - good for you. The only thing better than being a dumbass youngster, is being a dumbass who's old enough to ought to know better :D

Cheers, doll.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Amysatx said...

Happy Birthday! I love Boston Creme Pie/Cake too! Hope your day is fantastic!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Happy Birthday - I hope you're having a great 30th!

Today is also the Midsummer date referred to in Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" - or so Garrison Keillor told me on NPR this morning. That's a fun one, too.

And it's my FIL's birthday....darn...need to call him... :)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Criosa said...

Happy Birthday Bezz!

That cake looks delicious

12:55 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

Very Happy Birthday to you - 30? a meer babe! and you are wise beyond your 30 years ;-) The cake looks fab, though I imagine it is all gone already. Happy happy happy Birthday Hon x

1:32 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Happy birthday, Bezzie! You're still a "young'un" compared to me, ha, ha!

That cake looks too good! I love Boston cream pie!

Don't beat yourself about college - it seems like you're doing well with just the AA degree.

1:34 PM  
Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

bezztacular!

HAPPY BERFDAY YOU AWESOME AWESOME WOMAN
you are such a good mother and friend - I hope you have a great birthday with all sorts of fab surprises and lots of hugs and kisses

:)

You deserve cake AND pie :*

Love,
roxy

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, B!! You're finally 30! :o)

(and, gurl, i'm glad i don't have a degree sometimes too, when i see people making LESS money than me and they have bachelor's and master's degrees!)

1:55 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

May you have the Happiest of Birthdays!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Happy Birthday and I love Boston Creme Pie...My mom makes a killer one! :) And ganache....sweet heavenly delite! :)

2:17 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I have been to Boston, but I've never had Boston Creme Pie. What's up with that?

What you have there looks really good, and I think I might have to stop at the bakery and see if I can find one :). Cake for dinner in honor of Bezzie's birthday ....

And my son's, who turned twenty-two today. He doesn't live in Maine, but, hey, that shouldn't stop us from celebrating his birthday ... :).

2:25 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

Oh, 30 is such a good year :0)

Happy Birthday and enjoy that cake - yum!

3:13 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate! And you share a b'day with Joss Whedon?! Quite an important holiday.
Happy Birthday!!

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Erin said...

Happy birthday! Enjoy your cake!

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Alpaquita said...

Happy birthday Bezzie! your cake seems delicious, enjoy!

4:54 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

You know what they say: 30 is the new 20.

And, I've heard your 20s are mental puberty and by 30, you're finally done with it. (You're gonna have to tell me if this is true. I'm hoping it is.)

-T.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I have to say...that looks good!

Happy birthday.

I was forced out of college, too - not for money, but my husband joined the military! I was kind of over it, anyway. I liked college, but I was ready for an adventure. Three years later, I'm getting one!

I have nothing but the best wishes for you as you move forward in your life.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Nell said...

Welcome to 30! It's not too bad over here.

Happy Birthday!!!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Happy berfday 2 ewe!

hope you ate most of that yummy cake. It's not a berfday if you don't eat too much cake!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEZZIE!!!!!

Between that pie and your grilled cheese in the last post, I think I gained 10 pounds just looking and drooling.

Hope your day was good!!!

Cheers to many more great years ahead!!!

9:35 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Happy Birthday Bezzie!! You've accomplished quite a bit in just 30 years!!

And that yummy yummy cake is making my boring popcorn taste...well, boring. Enjoy :)

9:36 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Happy B-Day Bezzie! You deserve it girl,,, enjoy that cake and eat it too!

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Andi said...

I's amazing, the things we think are important and life-altering when we are younger. I guess it gives us something to talk about when we're old. Happy 30th Birthday! May you have many, many more! And I love the compost pot!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Happy Birthday!!! Did you save me a piece?? Fab. cake!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Okay, so I should have said Happy Birthday on THIS post. So Happy Birthday twice.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh! I am finally getting to catch up on my comments. HAPPY B-DAY!!! Hope that you had a wonderful one. Love, Mom

12:18 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Happy Birthday!!!!
30 is good. Real good.
Just got back in town and I can't believe I have to be late for this one...

7:45 PM  
Blogger JRS said...

Happy belated birthday! That cake looks so good.

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home