Thursday, July 10, 2008

Black Lily

She's done! She dried and, well, I guess blocked.

100_6078

Don't mind the "Joe Cool"/narcoleptic look, nor the stray thread from the clasp that I forgot to trim before the photo shoot. Oops.

Normally I don't post pictures of my pasty white fat legs--but they don't look bad in that picture!

Next up, a detail of a sleeve shot ala Brooklyn Tweed style.

Go click on his Finished Object galleries and count how many shots of a finished object he has where he poses with a coffee cup. It's amusing and presumptious at the same time. C'mon Tweedy, go buy yourself a 40 of Bud and live like the other half lives.

ETA: Go check out his latest FO. I will bet you a skein of TLC Cotton Plus that the photoshoot for this latest FO involves a coffee mug and/or cup in some artsy fartsy pose. My second guess would be a beach shot on a moody overcast day maybe with a glass of some snooty brand of west-coast fermented summer wine. Whatever he decides--mug shot or not--watch as the panties pile up in his comment section.

100_6080

Note the rolling of the sleeves despite the blocking.

This is a blurry shot, but it's hard to do a closeup on your own ass!

100_6081

But despite the blurriness, you can again see the excessive rolling at the end despite the blocking.

The details:

Pattern: Lily by Marie Grace Designs

Yarn: My favorite--TLC Cotton Plus in black; 4.5 balls.

Needles: US 6

Notes: Aside from the excessive rolling (but it's stockinette, what was I expecting??) I love this sweater! It's top down--my fave; I was able to sub the yarn from some black TLC Cotton Plus I had in my stash--awesome; and it's a versatile sweater that I can throw on top of a tank top/short sleeved blouse thus extending my summer wardrobe into winter--bonus!!

I did make a few modifications though.

First, I did not make the weird "(K1, yo, K1) all in same stitch" for the raglan increases like the pattern called for. As much as I googled and consulted Barbie Walker's Knitting From the Top Down where that increase is highlighted, I just did NOT GET IT! I must have frogged the first few rows six times trying to comprehend this increase. Instead I used a K1fb to increase. It threw the stitch count off by a minute amount but since I've made a couple of top-down raglans, I wasn't too worried.

Second, I knitted around the fronts and neckline three times instead of once to give the fronts and neckline a little more substance.

Finally, I did not knit the ties like the pattern called for. What can I say? I fell in love with the idea of using a metal clasp on a sweater when Chris and I went shopping for a clasp for her Mr. Greenjeans sweater.

100_6085
I'd like to pretend I posed and made this face, but the camera snapped the instant I realized that I hadn't snipped the clasp threads.

Labels:

37 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

The sweater came out great! It'll be nice to take to work if you work in an office where the air conditioner is always blasting. You've got to learn how to crochet, so you can crochet a pretty edging on the sweater to keep the edges from rolling, hint, hint! : )

That stained glass window is so pretty - I admire it every time I see it on your blog!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

very cute!!! You've got the model look down! ;)

8:08 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Love the sweater! It looks great! If you're ever in the city, I'd be happy to crochet a single crochet edge for you to prevent the rolling, like Laura said.

That last face is classic!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

So cute! Very nice-looking sweater, and in black, too!

Are you going to be on the next season of America's Next Top Model? You're fabulous without the bimbo factor.

8:12 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

I have one thing to say: something about that second photo of you reminds me of Mom.

I won't say anything about your pasty legs. Muahaha! You know I kid bekause I kare.

-T.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Oh, I like the second picture better anyway! Great sweater :)

8:27 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Just call it a rolled hem, and you don't have to learn to crochet!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Shrinky Inky said...

YAY for an FO! that must feel great - I wish I knew but I am too busy using curlers and red lipstick, heehee!

I like the last shot best, that's my kind of artsy and fartsy.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I personally like the rolled edges! Nice knit there! Hehe..you are more daring then me showing us your legs and butt ;)

10:04 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

Nicely done! And that last picture? By far my favorite :)

11:07 PM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

You are so funny and dead on about Brooklyn Tweed. Love it. The sweater came out fantastic too. Great work!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That's a great sweater!!
And really funny face ;-)

7:00 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I thought I was the only one who thought the photos were artsy fartsy and always felt kind of small because I thought it! It's not like I am such a great photo taker. I love the clasp on the sweater. It really suits it. And there is nothing wrong with pasty legs! I sport flourescent skin all year long and I wear dresses to work and show off my whiteness.

7:04 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

LOL! You always make me laugh. Maybe we can all chip in and send hima bottle of Boone's Farm for the next photo shoot.

I love the sweater and the little clipy thing too. I've always wanted a sweater with one of those things.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Love your black Lily and Rowan-esque pout! Maybe careful steaming will sort out the roll (try on a swatch first - TLC may resent too much heat).

7:22 AM  
Blogger Amby said...

Very nice, and I love the clasp!!!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I love the clasp! I think I'm going to have to try and find something in stash to make Lily. I really like it! I have been wearing cardis almost everyday.

I love the poses...and the last face...priceless!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Looks great!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Great sweater! I'm enjoying your digs at BTs popularity. It's true, photographically, he's kind of a one-trick pony. Oh well, he does achieve high drama in his images and the girls do seem to love him.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Hurray and FO! I'll have to live vicariously through you as I can't seem to manage finishing diddley this year. It's already July? When did that happen?

My xMIL caught some doozey pics of me when I wasn't "ready" for the camera. If they hadn't been blurry I might have posted them...it is amazing what you look like when you're not um, looking!

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Rosi G. said...

WOOHOO! AN FO! I like it! I don't know how you managed to knit an entire garment in black but more power to ya! I also like the clasp!

Oh, and I was kinda disappointed when I first actually saw BT's face. :(

9:26 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Nice sweater! Excellent artsy fartsy ass shot. BT's shots with the coffee cups or the glass of wine crack me up. The single crochet edging is a lifesaver for the rolling edge. It's easy to do too.

9:31 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

it looks very nice on you! perfect for everyday. i desperately need a plain black cardigan myself.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Nice fo. I didn't notice the curling till you pointed it out, so, no worries,eh?

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sweater looks really nice! I would just say that on the rolled hems that you meant it to be that way. What the heck are any non-knitters going to know that it is not suppose to be that way? I wouldn't know if I didn't read your blog.

I loved the pic of your pasty white legs! That face in the last pic is worth a thousand words!

As for FO's I finished a quilt for one of your cousins that graduated high school this year. Turned out pretty nice if I have to say so myself.

Love, Mom

10:02 AM  
Blogger Nell said...

Very cute!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

You look mahvelous! Great job on the sweater.

12:37 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

That looks great - great job, and it fits so well, even the slight curling looks good.
I love your photoshoot esp the 2nd picture, congratulate the photographer for me - how are his teeth??

2:14 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

The sweater is beautiful!

Pasty white legs are "in", didn't you know that? At least thats what I keep telling myself. :)

2:15 PM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Your sweater is nice! I love the stained glass window! :)

4:31 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Great job! Looks like the perfect everyday sort of cardi.

And nice ass shot! You gotta have one in at least every FO post. Even if it's socks.

5:42 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

HAHAHAHA Love that last shot. Priceless. The sweater looks great. I love the clasp on it instead of a button or something. It really makes it fall nicely.

(Oh, and the first time I saw a pic of Tweedy's face, I was so very disappointed.)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Amysatx said...

It looks so comfy! Great job!

12:04 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Fabulous! Love the sweater and you'll get so much wear out of it! Now the February??

Love the brooklyn tweed analogy! So true!!

12:47 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I try to post as many FOs as possible with a beer*, on my crumb-topped TV table that I eat on every night (and don't wipe down more than once a week).

*The beer is usually microbrewed, letting me keep some pretension points. The crumbs are not, though.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Oh, I like it a lot. Especially with the clasp.

And, great coffee shot. Really makes that rolled sleeve look sophisticated. Is that Cormovian Rare Dark that you're drinking? I can tell by the position of the cup in relation to the steam and the gauge of the stitches. ;)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Beautiful!!

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home