Thursday, July 24, 2008

Friday Eve

I'm off today.

I had to bring Chunky in for his school physical. The appointment fell at a weird time of the day and it would have meant showing up for work, working for 1/2 an hour, leaving, taking him to his appointment and by the time I got him back to school and got back to work myself, I maybe could have worked for 2 hours. What a waste of time (and gas!).

I had to get his physical paperwork done to get him registered for PUBLIC school. On August 4 I've got an appointment to get him finally registered.

I swear applying for college wasn't this much of a hassle.

But the little monkey measured in officially at 4'2" tall. I've got 23 years on the kid, and as of today--only one foot in height over him. Sigh.

Tomorrow I have to make an appointment for him to have his hearing officially tested. His left-Stephen-Colbert-ear* didn't fully pass the hearing screening.

I'm not too worried because honestly--there's nothing you can do about it if he's lost (if he ever had) the ability to hear those lower octaves in his left ear. His other ear is just fine and he does good in school. I don't see where else besides school it would be a problem.

I actually feel pretty good about it because it could be worse. His doctor was telling me about another patient his age that has the same type of loss. But their loss was due to iPod use. Can you imagine? Man I would have felt like the shittiest mom alive if that had been my kid.

Anyway, I realized it's getting to be the end of the month. And y'all know what that means.

The time to draw names for this month's K.A.Y.E. drawing is coming close.

The prize this time is a little homemade.

Or should I say handspun?

100_6134

Starting with left to right:

Fiber: 100% Merino wool from Woolbearers (handwash)
Amount: Approx. 69 yards/4.2 oz.
Fiber donated by: Lynn

Fiber: 100% Merino w/Sparkle from Terra Bella (superwash)
Official Color Name: "Clouds in my Coffee" (you're so vaaaaain, I'll bet you think this yarn is about you....)
Amount: Approx. 60 yards/1.45 oz
Fiber donated by: Sgeddes

Fiber: 100% cashmere (handwash)
Amount: Approx. 30 yards/.80 oz
Fiber donated by: Bina

Now I can't guarantee those yardage amounts--that's where I suck at spinning. I just wrap it around my chair which is a 51 inch loop, count the loops, times that number by 51, and then divide by 36.

But if you're interested in my humble attempts at spinning. Click on the K.A.Y.E. link in this post, read the rules, and if you qualify, enter!!

Good luck to the July entrants who have already sent in their names!

*Go look at a picture of Stephen Colbert. His one ear sticks out more than his other. So does Chunky's. This is my fault. When he was a baby, I'd put him in his cradle swing and he'd sleep with his head turned and his ear would fold over. I noticed it was starting to stick. His Michigan pediatrician told me not to worry about it, it wouldn't stay that way. What a dumbass. I should have known better than to listen to a chain smoking pedatrician named Peter Jennings. (Ironic, no, considering what happened to the "real" Peter Jennings?).

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

Pretty yarn. I am shorter than my children. They think it's a hoot. Imagine hearing loss from an ipod at such a young age. That's just sad. I have noticed on the train that I can hear other people's music even though they are wearing headphones and so am I. I wonder if hearing aid sales will rise as this generation gets older?
Pretty handspun! I love woolbearers. It's a 25 mile trek so I don't make it often but they are so helpful in there.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Big Brother is going to have a foot on me before long- he's tall.

PeeWee has some hearing loss and we're leaving it alone until she's school aged, if it even matters then. Whatever 'the very bottom end of the normal range' means they said we could worry about it if it was a problem.

Like that sparkly yarn!!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Yeah... imagine being 5'9"-ish and being the SHORT one in your family. that would be me. *sigh*

NICE handspun! Of course, I'm going to have "You're So Vain" stuck in my head now... :)

I really need to double-check on when I am due to be KAYE-eligible... I might actually be a little late.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Seriously, you had a chain-smoking pediatrician named Peter Jennings??

Truth, as usual, is stranger than fiction.

My oldest son is now taller than I am, and youngest is within 2 inches. Eeek.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

My DH is 6'2" and his dad is 6'6". My boys have both been on the 95th and 100th %ile since birth. I'm also 5'2", so I reckon I only have another couple years before one or other of them is taller than me.

THEN, how'm I gonna do the frickin' naughty corner?! :0(

Congrats on being a good mom to Chunky.

My pap isn't until the 31st - I'll dash home to email you when it's done ;0)

4:25 PM  
Blogger Red Dog Knits - Kristi and Otis said...

Remember though - there is something in the mid-Miohigan water that makes kid heads ginormous - we just need to cross our fingers that the height catches up with the nugget size. It looks like the Chunkmeister P is on his way. Gangles is over the top for height and Scrapster is a small barrel chested man...their heads are a huge impediment in teaching them to take off their shirts as they get stuck. I have a pea head...both of their heads are bigger than mine, yet their height is to my knee. You need to post on big kid heads. I am certain you have a theory in there.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Pretty yarn!

Pi is also exactly one foot shorter than me. We went to the doc last Friday and she was 4'4". I was shocked! Of course I can see her growing but it makes it real to hear the numbers.

5:44 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

So is Stephen Colbert Chunky's real dad?

6:45 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

LMAO @ Cpurl.

Seriously? A kid at 6/7 has hearing loss due to an ipod?!? This is the reason why Danny doesn't have one. He wants one, any one. Doesn't have to specifically be ipod. And I am putting my foot down. Ugh.

Love the yarn. Maybe at some point I'll find myself at the docs office so I can enter.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous birdie said...

Man, I was wondering where you were today, since I got no reply to my email! But FYI for you, I won't be at work tomorrow or next week. So you'll be sans birdie emails.

Um, when I was in 8th grade, I was 4'11". Chunky is so tall! Geeze!

10:30 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

I was going to say something about Chunky, but between that handspun and cpurl I just can't remember!! :) All that handspun in one place is gorgeous!!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Awww, poor Chunky! If he can hear OK in school, the hearing loss probably isn't that bad though.

I'm only 5'0 - I'd be happy with even a couple more inches! My daughter is already past my shoulders, and her feet are only a size smaller than mine (she wears a ladies' size 5, I wear a 6).

As far as school paperwork goes, be glad Chunky doesn't go to a Catholic school - parents have to reregister their kids every single year, same process year after year, with a mountain of paperwork and registration fees for everything under the sun. It's such a hassle. Now, with my son starting school this year, all that hassle has been multipled x two.

Pretty yarn by the way!

12:20 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Pretty yarn!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

*sputters out water from her nose* ahem...cough, thanks Cpurl!

Pretty handspun's there! One lucky winner!!

Yeah, I'm shorter than son, hubby and 2" away from daughter being taller than me..sigh...

Don't get me started on paperwork, between HS and college stuff...gahhhh

1:59 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

my husband has a hearing loss in one ear do to child hood infections and a botched surgery. Most of the times he plays that to his advantage nicely. there have really been no other ill effects. He even had a chance at a career in music. Him not doing that had nothing to do with the hearing either.

The bad part is the surgury left a good size hole in his ear that little kids always ask about. He always asks them if they can see his brain and freaks them right out!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

I hope Chunky doesn't have any hearing loss. My mom is deaf, so I am a bit of a worrier about hearing. I LOVE your handspun.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Love the yarn!

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home