Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hitchin' a Ride

Remember my little compost-pile hitchhiker pumpkin that was growing in my pea pot?

100_6056

This picture was taken circa June 29. Not even a month ago.

The peas are long gone. They were smart. When it got hot, they curled up, wilted, and died.

Kind of like what I've been wishing to do throughout this hellishly hot weather.

But apparently pumpkins would thrive in hell.

Here's that same pumpkin now--circa July 20.

100_6116

Needless to say the old pot garden is hitting its mid-summer stride.

The sunflowers are opening.

100_6119

The socks are rocking.

100_6122

Those white spindly flowers are alyssum growing out of the sock. I believe alyssum is meant as a ground cover. It's kind of cool watching them adapt to being a hanging plant.

100_6121

The grape tomatoes are slowly chugging along.

And finally, the cukes are growing!

100_6117

It's my first year planting cukes and I'm loving them! The cucumber in this picture was also photographed on Sunday. Today--two days later--that cucumber is now twice as big. Amazing!

I'm dreaming of pickles.

Speaking of dreaming, I think I'm off to do some pre-sleep.* I didn't get home until 11:45 p.m. last night.

The time and a half will be nice, but not having to eat dinner, make lunches for the next morning (Dr. Mad Scientist forgot), and shower past midnight only to have to be awake by 6:30 a.m. the next morning would have been nice too.

But the Case from Hell has been throughly briefed--now we just wait til oral arguments in October. Which will have nothing to do with me! Woo hoo!




*This is what you do when you're my mother--you come home from work, fix dinner, eat dinner and fall asleep on the couch snoring while everyone else is trying to watch TV. You only get up in order to get to your bedroom to sleep the rest of the night. Because if you don't get that pre-sleep, how are you supposed to get to sleep at night? Ha ha!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

I'm glad your brief is over. Law firm hell isn't worth the time and a half. Your garden looks great!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Whew girl, glad that one is over for you! The garden is looking awesome! Hehe..fresh cukes are the best!)

9:33 PM  
Blogger Rebel said...

rock that pot garden!


My mom totally does the pre-sleep thing too. I guess it's something to look forward to as I get older. =P

11:54 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

The plants look great! Maybe you'll end up with some nice big pumpkins by the time Halloween rolls around.

12:11 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Your garden is coming along nicely! But I'm sorry, I don't believe your mom snores. Saints don't snore.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Mother Necessity said...

What wonderful plants - I'm so jealous! If only my building wouldn't fine me for putting pots on the fire escape...

7:00 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

The one time we grew cukes, we were living in southern MD and the neighbor owned cows that used to stick their heads through the fence and eat the cukes vines and all. They left the tomatoes alone but loved the cukes. I've grown alysssum on the ground. It looks interesting as a hanging plant. The socks make good planters.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

hee hee. I love pre sleep. It makes me happy. I will even pre sleep if we go out to the movies. Ha!

7:41 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Wow, that's quite the hairy pre-pickle you've got there.

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe...

8:30 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

Your garden is awesome!!!! I'm glad your brief is over, it sounds awful.

9:44 AM  
Blogger janna said...

I love the hanging alyssum -- I had no idea it would do anything but be ground cover!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um Yeah....I resemble that pre-sleep remark!!! But in my defense I had SIX KIDS to chase, tote, and cart around! And you Bezzie were the first!!! The Defense rest...goes to pre-sleep. Love, Mom

PS: Nice pot garden!!!

10:08 AM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Is it wrong that I got the dirty-bird giggles over this?

"Today--two days later--that cucumber is now twice as big. Amazing!"

Such a dirty girl!

Our cukes are still flowers at this point, but we've got dozens of little green toms and the basil grows new leaves when I take leaves off to cook with (near daily, it seems!). The peppers are doing a little better since I moved them outside but they may be a lost cause.

10:37 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Home grown tomoatos cannot be beat! I can't wait to see if you get a pumpkin. I bet the plant will get huge!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Teragram said...

There is a company here in the west, Mt. Olive Pickles, who pickle the cucs at that size. Petite Kosher Dills. Bite size and I love them.
Your garden looks great.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Lookin' good. I guess I should go check to see if I've got tomatoes or zucchini starting to grow. I am of the "plant then ignore" gardening school.

7:13 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

SIX kids?? Your Mom deserves a pre AND post sleep!!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

My husband gets his pre-sleep when he lays down with the girls to get them to go to sleep ;).

Your garden looks awesome! I canned two jars of pickles this weekend. The cukes are coming along nicely here, too ;).

10:07 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

great garden, love the socks.

On the subject of sleep, if you don't have a nap during the day how are you supposed to have enough energy for your main evening snooze?

3:32 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Your garden looks wonderful!

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home