Saturday, July 05, 2008

Red White and Blue

I love three day weekends.

Especially ones where you have an excuse to gorge yourself with food.

We managed to grill some steak before it rained.

100_6071

(Chunky and I split a steak. Dr. Mad Scientist ate the other).

We had a nice salad.

A side of watermelon.

100_6070

And for dessert--apple pie ala mode of course.

100_6069

The bottom crust was store-bought and the top one I was forced to make myself. On the plus side, I think I've gotten over my phobia of pie crusts. The top crust was quite flaky and good.

I think I was being too much of a pussy in trying my other crusts. Afraid that I would over-roll the dough and make the crust tough. The trick is to be rough with it, but not too rough. Thanksgiving here I come!

Shifting gears, Roxy tagged me with a bathroom meme.

It's quite simple: Name 5 things you have in your main bathroom and what theme is your shower curtain? Describe and pass on to 5 other people.

Five things in my bathroom:

1. The big ladybug on the toilet tank.

100_6072
(don't mind the stray Bezzie hairs there...)

2. A large container of Chunky's Gummy Vites (from Costco). Remember the good old days where we had Flinstone (or in our case Flintstone knock-off) vitamins?

3. A bottle of Head N'Shoulders. Yeah, I'll admit it. I've got this patch of dandruff on my head. Not my whole scalp mind you--just this one patch. Normally it only flares up in the winter. But this summer it's been bad. I have my own hypothesis as to why it's decided to be annoying this summer.

4. A big tube of SPF 50 sunscreen for extra-pale Alaskan (and Michigan born to Alaskan parents) skin. We're planning a Jersey Shore trip later this month.

5. An old in-the-wall-radiator that doesn't work. But it's OK, the bathroom doesn't realy get that cold.

And the shower curtain? It's blue.

100_6073

Like it has been since we got married. The bathroom is the only room in my house that has a put-together color scheme. Blue. The shower curtain is dark blue, the bathmat and toilet lid cover are blue too. They're not the original curtain/bathmat/lid cover from nearly 9 years ago when we were married, but they're easily replaced because blue never goes out of style.

Pretty boring huh?

I know Roxy already tagged her, but you have GOT to see Karen's bathroom(s). Each one is very cool in it's own respect. Chunky was duly impressed by something in her downstairs bathroom when we came to visit her last Saturday. Oh who am I kidding--I was very amused too!!

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

If I don't use my "special" shampoo, I get a really flaky scalp. Thanks, Grandma. I use Neutrogena Triple Moisturizer though. It's a sneaky dandruff shampoo. ;)

11:39 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Okay, the giant ladybug just freaks me out :)

My husband uses GV dandruff shampoo and I use the GV equivelent of Garnier Fructis. Cheap, even with our hair!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I really, really like the Suave smoothing shampoo and conditioner - I can't remember the exact name of it, it's part of their "salon" line, but it's about $2.00 a bottle at Walmart, and it's the about best stuff I've found (and I've tried stuff in a lot of prices ranges) for my hair (too thick and wavy).

The big expense for hair care stuff ends up being for my daughter, because of her having biracial hair, it needs special products, and a lot more products than my hair. I get her hair stuff from the Chinese-owned beauty supply store.

Nice Chunky artwork, and food you've got there!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Steak and pie...two of my favorite things! :)

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy!! I wish that I went to your place for dinner!!! All I had was a leftover burger from when your uncle and aunt were up here and some watermelon. As for your bathroom....Don't let that ladybug bite your B.... Love, Mom

1:12 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Yesss. SOMEONE had watermelon. And, from Mom's comment, it appears I was able to convince the 'rents to get a watermelon when I called yesterday. I still have some watermelon chunks leftover for later today (I just bought pre-chunked watermelon).

Anyway, my 4th dinner was nothing compared to yours. Man, I'm not much of a beef eater, but that steak looks good. And, apparently my bathroom sucks compared to yours because I don't have a giant ladybug.

-T.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Yummy looking steak! Why the crust phobia? Personally, I like crisps/cobblers better so I never learned how to make a pie crust.

As for shampoo, I'm with Cristi - I think it is the curly hair thing. I use mint therapy dandruff shampoo - makes my scalp all tingly!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

apple pie loks to die for! Like Laura, I use Suave too...it actually works for my unruly hair. What exactly is the giant ladybug there for?

1:50 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

That pie looks good, I love pie but don't really eat much - must rectify that :-)and the watermelon looks very juicy. Love your ladybird!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

We used to have a giant penguin on the toilet tank. Not sure why. Someone just left it there and it stayed. I think it got put away at Christmas because I haven't seen it in a while.

9:37 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Great! Now I'm craving some apple pie!! That looks delicious, dessert and dinner!!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

The ladybug is a little,um, weird, don't you think?

11:32 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hope your 4th was a good one. I went MIA again.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Mmm, steak and pie and watermelon!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm going to have to do a whole bathroom post, aren't I? All 3 bathrooms?!? :)

7:13 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Apple pie, yum! And that melon... it looks absolutely perfect. I think I'm hungry now.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Looks like you had a feast!

I am dying at your ladybug...too funny. I think I might have a hard time crapping knowing it was behind me watching lol

8:12 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Your feast looks yummy! Nice sprinkle of sugar on the pie crust!

12:52 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

mmmmm pie.

My bathrooms are ugly and boring. I do have 5 burned out globelights in my bathroom that need to be replaced except that I want the energy efficient kind but when I see the light bulb section in the store, I forget what kind I need to get so I tell myself I need to check and then I forget about it until I'm in the store again... and that is the vicious circle that is my life.

4:29 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Mmmmm... steak.

Mmmmm... watermelon.

Mmmmmmmmmmm... homemade apple pie.

GAH! Giant ladybug!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Mmmm, yummy food. I think I'm hungry. Love the apple pie crust, looks like you've learned good!

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home