Monday, July 14, 2008

Sabado y Domingo

I’ll start with Saturday.

I met up with Chris at A Yarn For All Seasons—one of her regular haunts. They were having their un-tent sale and had a lot of good deals.

I didn’t buy anything (more on why that was later) and Chunky informed me at the store he was disappointed they didn’t have more dead muppet yarn. But it was a cute shop. And damn was their Noro selection incredible! I got to fondle some Noro lines I had only just read about before.

Next we had lunch next door at a cute little restaurant/bistro/café/tearoom type place. Very delish. I had been craving buffalo chicken all week and they had a buffalo chicken wrap that was divine.

Chris and I let Chunky eat some of the fries off our plates (with our permission of course, I’m not raising that much of a heathen) since he had had lunch prior to setting out (we met up at the yarn store at 12:00--you don't drag a kid to a yarn store unfed. He whines enough about going to yarn stores--why add hunger to that mix?) While we ate, he entertained us with his six-year old stories. Sorry he kept interrupting us Chris--he gets that from his daddy!

Finally Chris took us to a park nearby with a really cool playground for Chunky to play on while we sat and chatted in the shade of a tree housing an overly-vocal/horny bird.

When I say cool playground, it was one of those ones yet untouched by overprotective parents. There were some cool ways you could have really hurt yourself if you mis-played with the equipment. Dangerous equipment is always the funnest equipment right?!

While Chunky played, Chris was nice enough to teach me how to do this:

100_6103

Pretty cool huh? I’m a visual person and diagrams don’t click for me. So Chris showed me how to single, half-single (just call it .5!) double, and even triple crochet.

I goofed on the triple crochet at the very top row. But I realized it half way through the row. I figure hey, if I realize what I’m doing wrong, no big deal. At least I caught it! Now I won’t be going on a crocheting frenzy. But it’s nice to finally know how to do it. Thanks Chris!

Sunday was fun too.

After Dr. Mad Scientist’s meeting, we packed up the car and headed to the shore. We had lunch in the car since the beach we go to, Sea Girt, doesn’t allow food on the beach. That was fine. I prefer my sandwiches sans sand anyway.

There wasn't much water frolicking since Hurricane/Tropical Storm Bertha was causing some seriously big-ass waves and very dangerous rip tides.

Those rip tides killed a couple of swimmers in AC and Wildwood which are a lot further south than Sea Girt, but still. We and the lifeguards weren't taking any chances.

100_6091

The boys did get their toes wet though.

100_6099

And Chunky was still able to get enough water to make his sand castle.

100_6100

After the day was done, we were very relaxed and tired.

On the way home, I realized that I no longer looked like this.

100_6095

Instead, I look like a spokesperson for Red Lobster.

Admittedly, I missed some spots with the SPF 50--like the strip of skin on my forehead that's right below my hairline and the tops of my hands--both are pretty burned.

But my shoulders and chest? Those I liberally slathered with sunblock. We were in the sun a total of 3 hours.

Now that I re-read the bottle and it reads: "Retains SPF for 80 minutes." BAH! I grew up in Alaska before global warming--I'm not too smart when it comes to these common-knowledge sun facts.

On the plus side? I'm not nearly as burned as I was last year!

Ah well. I guess this just proves you can take the girl out of Alaska, but not the Alaska out of the girl!

Labels: , ,

31 Comments:

Blogger Poops said...

We haven't been to the ocean once yet this year. But now that I've read about your heinous sunburn, perhaps I'll pass.

I have to wear a burka to the beach to avoid burning. It's attractive...

7:16 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Oh, owie. I hate sunburn. I got a lovely burn in Vegas in March, so I feel your pain.

And I don't even have the excuse of being raised in Alaska - I should totally know better.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

"dead muppet yarn" Hah! great descriptor, Chunky. As for the sunblock, there are a couple of things to know 1) make sure it does both uva AND uvb. Uvb(urn) is what I call it. not all sunscreens do both. 2) for best effect, apply before you get to the beach. 30 minutes is ideal, but whatever. The stuff needs to bind to the skin. also waterproof isn't. Reapply every hour.

Hope it doesn't smart too badly.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

The sunblocks that give you 30 times your unprotected time in the sun give me about an hour on a good day. Yep, my unprotected time to burn is about 2 minutes. I am seriously pigment impaired.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Did you know sun block expires?

Yeah, I found out the hard way on Saturday!

Drink lots of water, your skin will need the hydration.

9:11 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Where's the "more on that later"? Whey didn'tcha buy anything?

I burned the heck outta myself on Sunday. My skin is killing me. I'd like to shed it like a lobster. Or a hermit crab. Yeah, a hermit crab.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Wow, you're crocheting!

Dead muppet yarn had me laughing out loud. Your kiddo is a funny guy.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Ah yes, crochet...it's my first love.

Sounds like you a had a good time at the beach despite the red lobster thing....

10:15 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend! Well, except for the Red Lobster part. Ouch. Then comes the fun peely part...oh us fair-skinned girls...

1:03 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch! Still, "not as burned as last year" is still burned. Hope you feel better soon.

6:10 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Sounds like a great weekend!!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

I have to say I have quit going out much in the sun because my dad always had skin cancer and I look just like my dad, so after years of burning myself to a crisp, I decided I should stop. If I know I am going to be out in it very much I slather myself w/ spf 50. Have I ever told you how cute you are? You are!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I was a true sun worshipper when I was young. Back in the bad old days I slathered myself with baby oil and fried. But I was so tan! Now, I keep my pasty white skin (especially my legs) all summer. After all these years I am growing some brains. Even with sunblock and an umbrella and a hat, I still get some red but I find it doesn't hurt as much as when I burn from unprotected sun. (think of all the unprotected things that are not safe anymore!)

8:23 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Ugh! I used to get sunburned so badly when I was a kid that it hurt to wear a shirt for week. My mom would smear Noxema all over my skin. It did work to cool the burn, but I have no idea what that stuff did to my skin. I'm sure that's not the application the manufacturers had in mind ;).

I don't think we even had sunblock when I was a kid. Instead, people would smear themselves with Crisco or motor oil to expedite their tan ;). Yeah, I never used Crisco, as I couldn't stomach the idea of frying myself like a piece of chicken.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

I love the ocean. Beautiful.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

What a great summer weekend! Except for the burn - owie. Analgesics, lots of water, oatmeal, and cucumbers help (apply orally and topically).

8:52 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

So pretty, the water, the beach. I'm sorry you turned into a lobster though.

9:08 AM  
OpenID bigevilgrape said...

another key point is to put the sunblock on like half an hour before you actually go into the sun.

9:16 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I might have some dead muppte yarn I can send Chunky if he really wants it! :)

Sounds like a good time. I want to learn crochet too. I've always wanted to knit up a bunch of granny sqaures for an afghan.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

From the queen of burn... found this trick out in Mexico one year from an ancient Mexican lady.. Phillios Milk of Magnisia (sp) Rub some on... wait for it to dry let it flake off. It works! Woo hoo. Went from throwing up,hot, and in pain to just red.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Dead Muppet Yarn"!!! He is your son alright!!! As I told your SIL the nut does not fall far from the tree!!!
Crocheting is not that hard it is reading the instructions that is hard.
Boy does that water look nice. Too, bad for the strong tides. Glad that you all had fun, sorry about your sunburn. Love, Mom

10:20 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Whoo hoo, another hooker! :D Sorry about the Red Lobster burn. But it looks like it was a fun day at the beach! Life-threatening rip tide aside, that is.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Oh, I forgot to say Yay! on crocheting!

1:46 PM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

What a great weekend, the beach looks fab - lucky you lot! Re corchet - jeez, you are going over to the dark side too, just like that turtlegirl, what is it with you lot ;-)
Sunburn? Painful! but when you are at work wincing slightly, it comes with very good memories. Ripe tomato juice takes the sting away.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oooh, crochet! Nothing wrong with going on a crochet frenzy! : )

That's a pretty beach - sure looks a lot cleaner than the ones here in Cleveland.

And I've come to the conclusion that sunblock doesn't work, I don't care what SPF it is. I've never spent a day at the beach or pool (or even the park) without getting a sunburn, no matter how much sunblock I slather on. One of my grandmothers had skin cancer, and that scares the crap out of me.

At least my kids are dark enough that they don't burn.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

Sea Girt!!! I knew a guy from there. He worked in WTC1. I named my first born after him - he was fun :0)

The beach looks great - my boys just discovered they like it.

I'm taking my first crochet lesson on Thursday night - it has to happen eventually, right :0)

8:02 PM  
Blogger Cindy G said...

The beach looks like fun (except for the burn. And if Chunky really wants some dead Muppet yarn, I have (cough) kind of a lot of it, and I'd sort of like to have less...

9:09 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

When you mentioned the sunburn I was thinking about last year's trip!
Looks like a fun day. And new skills are always good to have under your belt, you never know when they will come in handy

7:16 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Dangerous playgrounds, yarn stores, friends, a crochet lesson, and the beach!? Life sounds pretty nice in NJ.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Sunblock WEARS OFF in 80 MINUTES? Hmm...actually, that explains some things.

We're taking our first trip to the ocean on Saturday. I'm excited! But also pretty pale. Perhaps I will go buy some more sunblock.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

That beach looks so beautiful....sorry you got a burn that sucks.

At the beginning of the summer we went to streetfest in out neighbourhood. It is always a hot sunny day when it is held and so I lathered up Shel (my oldest) and was so concerned with her neck and face and knees (sitting in her chair she gets so much sun on her knees in shorts) that I forgot to get her arms and hands well.

Well the right hand/arm was okay but the left she uses to control her chair and so it was there resting on the armrest working the joystick for her power and it was getting burnt. She got a few little blisters from it. I felt horrid.

It is easy to miss spots or forget when your worrying about the kids keeping covered up.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home