Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Stupid Decisions

Today's post is brought to you by Stupidity.

Stupidity is that thing that you do thinking at the time it's a good idea, but if you weren't blinded by said stupidity, you would have realized that it wasn't such a good idea.


teddyboy


Like taking $250,000 in goods and services from a now-beleaguered oil services contractor and concealing it.

Sorry Teddy Boy, looks like you probably won't die in office after all.

And although you've shamed Alaska, you've brought a little bit of fame being the first Senator indicted on federal charges in 15 years. Way to break the no-indictment streak!!

If he's found guilty I hope they change the name of the airport.

My next profile in stupidity is inspired by the Lady in the Ugly Pink Shirt Driving a Silver Car.

I was driving Chunky to school today. As I do 5/7ths of the 4.23 weeks of each month.

On the road, there was a large landscaping service truck pulling a trailer behind it, a guy on a motorcycle, and then me.

We all had to slow down when Landscaping Truck went to make a right turn onto a neighborhood street.

Apparently, while Landscaping Truck was making his turn, Ugly Pink Shirt was making a left-hand turn onto the road we were on from the neighborhood street Landscaping Truck was turning onto.

She must have assumed Landscaping Truck would be going slow enough to block oncoming traffic coming from our direction so she could complete her left.

Well Ugly Pink Shirt was wrong.

She was 3/4th of the way into the turn about to complete it when Landscaping Truck finished its turn.

Now all of this happened fast enough where Motorcycle Dude and I had to slow down to let Landscaping Truck make it's turn, but it wasn't necessary to come to a complete stop. So we both had some good momentum going.

And sadly Motorcycle Dude's momentum caused him to ram his hog straight into the back of Ugly Pink Shirt's silver car.

The impact, and her finishing the turn (dragging the bike a bit), caused his bike to jack to a 90 degree angle and fall over. He did three to four somersaults head first over his bike.

Holy Mother of Fatzah.

I've been driving 11 or 12 years (I got my license in late-teenagerdom!) and I've witnesses a handful of fender benders in my life, but I will NEVER forget the image of another human being hurtling thru the air like that and somersaulting over and over on the pavement.

Luckily and amazingly, Motorcycle Dude was OK. He got up and walked away clutching his arm. He had a pretty good case of road rash on it and really tore up his elbow, but for the most part I think he was OK. And yes, he was wearing a helmet.

I pulled over and called 911 (which is really hard to do in New Jersey when you witness something like this at the edge of where 3 towns meet and you're not sure what town exactly you're in when the 911 operator asks you!).

I figured since I was basically the only one who witnessed the accident aside from the participants, (there was no one coming in the opposite direction that would have seen it and possibly run over Motorcycle Dude as he skittered into the other lane of traffic), I should probably stick around.

After about 1/2 an hour I finally got one of the officers who showed up on the scene to talk to me (I really didn't want to interrupt the coppers doing their job talking to Ugly Pink Shirt and Motorcycle Dude). He thanked me for waiting around, but said since it was pretty clear Ugly Pink Shirt was completely at fault for the accident, they wouldn't need my statement for the official report.

Another example of stupidity in action and how one dumbass move can really change your life.

Be it federal charges or near-misses in adventures in involuntary manslaughter.

Labels: ,

32 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Oy vey! Teddie ruined Alaska's streak. Its going to be awhile before he lives that down.

Sounds like Ugly Pink Shirt should have her license revoked. Glad you weren't involved in the accident!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

Oy vey! I hope not all Teddy's are f@#kwits!

And maybe I will 'goodwill' all my pink shirts. Hang on a moment. They're the nicest fitting. Oh well, I guess I'll just stop driving like an el-stupido :0)

8:57 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yikes!!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Starfish said...

Yikes how scary is that. One time I was at a racetrack and saw a camera guy get hit and fly into the air. Like you said - an image I will never get out of my head.

9:17 PM  
Blogger T. Budnik said...

Good call on Teddy. Jerk.

And, hearing about and/or witnessing accidents like you saw always makes me think about how I drive and how easy it is to make stupid mistakes. I always try to be a better driver after hearing stories like this.

-T.

9:20 PM  
Blogger janna said...

Wow! I've been driving a lot longer than you and have never seen a motorcycle accident. Scary.... And it was good of you to stick around, even if they didn't need your statement in the end.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm glad you're okay and weren't involved. In Germany, getting a driver's license is much more difficult and requires completion of a driver's course that's really expensive and apparently pretty tough. I wish our licensing laws were a little more strict, although I probably wouldn't be a licensed driver right now ;). It took me three tries to get my license to drive in Germany, and as a US licensed driver all I had to do was take a written test ;).

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Suzanne said...

Its embarrassing being an Alaskan right now. I never voted for the guy but he's been reelected continuously. Maybe this will finally do it. And it doesn't look like he's going to go gracefully. Its sad that this will be his legacy because he's actually done a lot of good things for Alaska. Yeah, I hope they re-name the airport!

11:53 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

That is the worst to see that sort of thing. Freaks you out for sure.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Is Teddy as dumb as the family who got a $450,000 mini-mansion for free through that Extreme Makeover home show (in addition to $250,000 in college scholarships and a home repair fund), and then turned around and mortgaged the house for $450,000, couldn't make the payments, and then lost it to foreclosure? I'm still shaking my head over that one...

That's amazing the motorcycle guy was OK. There was actually an incident right here in the suburb where I live, where a guy hit a young man on motorcycle, ran him over, and then got out of his car, picked up some pieces that had fallen off during the accident, and then left the young man there to die.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/07/euclid_ man_ accused_ of_ killing.html

Some people have no conscience. I'm glad you do, and called for help for the motorcycle guy - many people wouldn't have.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Yikes! I'm glad you just witnessed the accident instead of being involved in it.

5:54 AM  
Blogger The Curly Knitter said...

Wow, that is scary! Thank goodness everyone is ok!

6:41 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I saw a person turn in front of a motorcyclist when I was young, before I got my license. They just cut him off and he slid along the asphalt for a long bit before he and the bike stopped. It made me much more aware of cyclists and where they are at all times around me when I drive. They are not saints and can really cause trouble when they weave in and out. Lucky you were there to call 911. How did Chunky handle it, or had you dropped him off?

7:33 AM  
Blogger LilKnitter said...

Whoo, that must have been awfully freaky! I'm so glad that there are people like you out on the road if there are going to also be people like UPS.

And to answer your rhetorical question on my post: yeah, I have no idea how to go back after a year, either. I'm desperately hoping to find something I can do from home, at least most of the week, so that I don't have to leave her. I'd miss her so.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Cindy in Happy Valley said...

Sweet sassy molassy!! Where were you when an old fart in a Lexus ran a red light and caused my bro to hit him with his 19-year-old Integra. (This just happened about 6 weeks ago.) Because no one in the lovely petrochemical state of NJ could be bothered to act as a witness, or even stop to see if anyone was hurt (my bro had to call 911 himself), the police couldn't tell who was at fault. The old fart said HE was sure the light was green.

Sigh....nice to know some good citizens live in NJ.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I once saw a motorcyclist wipe out on his own: no Pink Shirt assistance needed. But never the moment when one person's stupidity nearly kills another. What an awful start to the day. I hope Chunky was looking the other direction.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Kay aka dkswife said...

Stupidity runs rampart all over the place. I am so glad the motorcycle guy was okay! Jesh!

10:06 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Holy crap! If an accident like that happened in these parts, po po would've taken witness statements from nearby birds and small animals, no matter how obvious it was who was at fault. Because if she was from these parts, Ugly Pink Shirt Lady would still claim she wasn't guilty for some reason or other!

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Uncle Teddy is a jerk! I hope that they would rename the airport when they went to his home with search warrents. So far no luck.

Holy Cow!!! When you said that you were behind that motorcycle and that a car truned in front of him, I thought you were going to say that he was thrown into your path. Thank goodness he wasn't and you had a cell. Love, Mom

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Yikes!

Are you as relieved as I am that Stevens will no longer be around to say stupid shit and embarrass the crap out of current and former Alaskans?

10:54 AM  
Blogger Mother Necessity said...

Oh my gosh - that must have been terrible! How nice of you to wait around in case the police needed a witness.

11:08 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I'm really glad that you and everyone else walked away okay! That is the best part. It is amazing how much one tiny decision can immpact others and unfortunatley it can be hard to remember.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I watched a pedestrian get hit and do that. And not walk away. It was shocking. Glad motorcycle guy could walk away. And welcome to the world of elected officials making embarrassing headlines ;-0

7:17 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Damn. I hope I never witness an accident. Good for you for staying.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

That's a helluva a way to start the day. I hope Chunky wasn't too upset. If your eye witness account wasn't needed, it sounds like Ugly Pink Shirt is stupid but honest (and possibly is as shaken as you). As opposed to others who are both stupid and corrupt.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Miss T said...

That guy was so, so lucky. Nice of you to stick around, and I'm really glad you weren't in the smashup!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Yeah way to go Ted. Sleeping with the oil people.

I get so angry with stupid careless drivers. I'm glad motorcycle dude is okay.

3:53 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Scary! Yeah, that image will be hard to forget! Thank goodness motorcycle dude is ok!

12:27 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

I always thought people from Alaska were suspicious. (j/k)

3:29 PM  
Blogger Linnea said...

Eek. That sounds like a scary incident, to understate things. I'm glad you stuck around, even if they didn't take your statement in the end. The Economist had a terrible biking accident as a young teen. Long story short, dude ran a red light, smacked W., resulting in several broken bones (which still snap at the smallest provocation) and a totaled bike - and the #*$& who hit him tried to claim it was W's fault. If it weren't for witnesses, it might not have turned out so well, legally. (Telling your husband that he shouldn't run on a swollen ankle is an entirely different matter.)

NPR has some interesting things to say about the general Alaskan populace in response to Teddy. Mainly that any Alaskan who has felt the benefit of his jurisdiction may feel slightly guilty. But the Brangelina twins (?) seem to be making more headlines, locally.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Nell said...

Wow! That's crazy. I'm so glad everyone is OK.

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home